Computer Driver Update Programs/Can Anyone Recommend a Good One?

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 09:21 am
My computer, which is six years old, is starting to act a bit flaky. It occurred to me that I have not updated any drivers in years. Looking through the internet, I discovered that there are programs which scans your computer, let you know which drivers need updating, and updates them.

I went on one program, got a free scan, and discovered that they found 14 obsolete drivers. In order to install the new drivers, I had to pay for a subscription.

I have no problem with paying, but I would like to buy the best that is out there. Any of you folks have experience with driver updaters? Any problems? Is there a particular program that you would recommend?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,161 • Replies: 12
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:50 am
@Phoenix32890,
Any flakiness is likely due to installed software, or deteriorating hardware, rather than drivers.

Only update drivers if there is a specific bug you're trying to fix or a specific feature you want to have. Especially if everything has been working for six years.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:51 am
@DrewDad,
Have you ever re-seated the memory sticks, or your expansion cards? They are susceptible to "thermal creep." As the computer heats and cools, components that are not soldered in can work themselves loose.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:53 am
@Phoenix32890,
Another issue might be heat. For most home computers, the primary method of cooling is the fan on the power supply. If that fan starts to fail, or if the airflow is impeded by dust, debris, or clutter, then the computer can overheat and you can see some really strange symptoms.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 11:15 am
@Phoenix32890,
My big problem was that I had problems printing with my HP all in one. I went to HP and installed the new drivers. Problem fixed!

I still would like to know about driver scanners.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 11:17 am
@DrewDad,
Drew Dad- I would rather have root canal, or stand in line at the motor vehicle office, than futz around with my memory sticks!
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 11:56 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
My big problem was that I had problems printing with my HP all in one. I went to HP and installed the new drivers. Problem fixed!

Well, that would fit under fixing a specific bug.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 11:57 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Drew Dad- I would rather have root canal, or stand in line at the motor vehicle office, than futz around with my memory sticks!

IMO, replacing drivers is a bigger deal than re-seating components.

Personally, I would not trust an automated process to do it.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:06 pm
@DrewDad,
Drew Dad- I would expect that you are a youngish guy. I am an older broad, and my computer, which is very big and unwieldy, sits on the floor, under my computer desk.

I am not about to crawl around the floor trying to open that damn thing, but thanks for the suggestion!!!!
Laughing
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:09 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Alrighty, then.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:14 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Windows has the ability to search for updated drivers built in. Right click "My Computer", select "properties", go to the "hardware" tab, and launch device manager.

There you can browse all the hardware components and "update driver" if you want to.

But like DrewDad has already told you, I don't recommend trying that without specific hardware bugs you want to fix.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert- Thanks. You are probably right. The thing that was bugging me was that my all in one printer was not working properly. Besides that, the computer is doing ok, so maybe I'll just be happy that the printer is working well now. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
0 Replies

rhymer

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 06:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I have tried so many driver checkers that didn't work that I was about to give up!
Then I came upon DriverMax.
If you do prefer an alternative to Windows drivers update facility, I recommend DriverMax.
It checks all your drivers, finds relevant updates, offers them for download, and installs them for you if follow their instructions properly.
I have been usung it for 6 months now on my xp ultimate SP3 system and cannot fault it.
0 Replies