Teachers that were important to you

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:52 am
Yesterday I ran across an article in the SF Chronicle on something about the greening of wine labels, and they mentioned the Mendocino Wine Company, which includes Parducci wines. So that set me off googleing the name of a teacher I had in my first semester at university, Allen Parducci. Turns out he is still alive - I'm guesssing he's in his early eighties - has written a fairly recent book that looks like an interesting read.
Happiness, Pleasure, and Judgment: The Contextual Theory and its Applications

Wow. This was my first spectacular teacher - he taught a large class for Psych 1A. The room was always bulging with students. He was a great speaker, made me excited about a subject I had, up until then, no clue about. I was avid to read all the assigned work and more, and I changed my major to psych - heh, the first of a few such changes in those beginning university years.
I've no idea re his impact on the world of psychology, but his impact on me was to excite my avidity for learning past my rather ordinary noodling in books as a teenager.

Tell us about some of your favorite teachers.......

I know there's been a similar thread on a2k before, and I'll find a link later, am going out for a while.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,828 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 02:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I had several lovely, inspiring teachers in college, but the one that was perhaps the most important to me was from a grade nine class. Mr. Richardson.

Mr. Richardson told me not to worry too much about things as I'd be married with children in a few short years anyway. It was an outrage... but an important one. It was the first time I was jolted by fury, but it made me think.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 02:24 pm
@ossobuco,
My all time favorite was my senior English teacher, Mrs. Horsey. Her classroom was on the second floor of the old Santa Fe Highschool. The walls were papered with thought provoking quotes and phrases as well as fading photographs of some of her favorite bards and authors.

She instilled in us a deep appreciation for our language and its ability to communicate through the written and spoken word. She dragged us into the wonderful world of great literature and made us love Shakespeare. She was a tiny little thing with wild white hair that stood out from her head--sort of a female Dr. Zorba--and she could turn a phrase and make it come alive. When she read "double, double, toil and trouble; fire burn, and cauldron bubble" her voice changed and her eyes glowed and I was there there with the witches in Macbeth. I loved it and never ever forgot it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 03:21 pm
I had two favorite teachers. The first was my first grade teacher, Minnie Cohen. She seemed to be about a hundred years old. She was patient, insightful, and inspired. She taught me how to read!

The second was a college English professor. He treated the class like adults. That was a jolt. He didn't ask if we did the assignment. He assumed we did. He also assumed we understood things. A real jolt. He was not especially inspiring. Not brilliant. But his approach to his students left a lasting impression.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 03:31 pm
@ossobuco,
My 2nd grade teacher Mrs Paine gave up on me and and had me moved aka (expelled) to another school. Then fast forward to being recruited by colleges I was at a Dinner and low and behold who was there?? And she has the never to say to my Mom " Oh I never thought Husker would make it this far". Well my Mom was pretty upset and let's just say she was far from my favorite but Mr V from the new school took me in and shaped my future and a significant and caring teacher should.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 03:34 pm
I've had some really good uni teachers, and some really bad ones. Back at school - none! I experienced both verbal and physical abuse at the hands of school teachers, going all the way back to kindergarten. I'd love to meet some of them now!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 03:40 pm
My eight grade social studies teacher was tall and stylish and beautiful and one of the very first black women in my day-to-day life to wear her hair in an afro. She was ultra-cool and told us, a roomful of lower and lower middle-class black kids, that we could do and be whatever we dreamed and I believed her with all my heart.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 05:44 pm
@ossobuco,
sister John Marie my 10th grade French teacher....the sex was outstanding.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 06:10 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You wished.. Wink
0 Replies