I need a spouse....or a butler...or a concierge.

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:17 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I am having a mental image of a crate being opened and set tumbling out.

Only if I could have him delivered on a weekend.....otherwise he's gonna be stuck in a post office for weeks, like Penny was!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:18 am
@Linkat,
No...for reasons I gave above....I have obligations all day most days.

It would work on the odd day.
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:22 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

With all the stuff that needs to be done - In my humble opinion (which is very humble indeed) - seems like you should take one day off from work and schedule all this crap the same day.

Indeed.

Thing is, it's very hard to get plumbers/electricians etc, much less on the same day.

What I often end up doing is using the 24 hour ones (who will only do emergencies anyway) and who cost a BOMB!!!

What I will likely end up doing re plumber is hiring a friend's brother, and getting him or his employee to do all the plumbing jobs...I trust them with a key, and they would trust me to pay them when it was all done.

And thay can come and go and not charge me $200 each time they walk in the door.
margo

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:17 pm
@dlowan,
Go with the offer of Set.

Perhaps you could pick him up from a freight company on the way home from work?! Wink
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:20 pm
@margo,
He'd need a lot of airholes.
roger

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:22 pm
@dlowan,
Not if he were frozen.
margo

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:26 pm
@roger,
Shocked

Yeah - mightn't work too well, though! Although it is summer here - he's thaw out...eventually!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:26 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Not if he were frozen.

Wouldn't he cost a lot to transport frozen?
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 05:35 pm
@dlowan,
Grrrrrr....it's after 10 am here, and I have placed everything from the old fridge on the kitchen benches, cos the rubbish fella said he'd be here at 10.

I have absolutely no control over when the new one arrives...but they said likely before 11.....but they just rang me to say it would be between 1 and 3. Let's make that 5, shall we?

So.....I have turned the air con down to as cold as it will go, but what's the odds I lose everything that can spoil before the new fridge gets here?

Small things, but grrrsome.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 05:52 pm
@dlowan,
Canajun winters seem better all the time. When I got my new fridge (was it January or February?), I just off-loaded everything into a big pile of snow outside the back door. Even when the delivery was delayed (too much snow to get close enough to the curb), didn't matter.

Set does very well in the cold, but I don't think flash-freezing him is an option.

He does like to travel, and he is excellent at opening doors.

Not so good with cats.
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 05:59 pm
@ehBeth,
Cat is non-optional.

Rubbish just went!

At $66 below quote.

Man, it's ugly under fridges.

Found an old woollen duster behind there, which is where the "pantry" moths have been coming from.

It is a shadow of its former self.

Maybe putting wet cloths over the food will keep it a bit cooler?

Off to get tea towels and wet 'em.

Maybe I could eat something, too...and cook something....

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 06:11 pm
@dlowan,
Deb, would you be willing to pay a small nominal fee for someone sticking around while your delivery or fix-it guys show up?

If that was the case, it may be worthwhile to advertise for a responsible retired person to do this. It sounds like you need a fair bit of work done around the place. You could explain to the prospective person that it would be on a "call-in" basis, much like hiring a baby or house sitter.
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 06:18 pm
@Reyn,
Yes, I would. Actually, I'd be prepared to pay a really decent fee!

Thing is, I don't KNOW anyone who is retired (we sometimes used to ask friends' parents to do this stuff, and take them out for dinner and such....but they are all dead, or too ill, now... : ( ) and it's a bit to just trust someone.

The services, which are all police checked and all, charge a lot...especially as it can mean waiting for HOURS!

Actually, I do know one retired person.....but she runs around like chook with its head off...she'd be far too busy!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 06:43 pm
Would it be feasible to grab a passing aborigine and procure his services?
roger

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 06:57 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

So.....I have turned the air con down to as cold as it will go, but what's the odds I lose everything that can spoil before the new fridge gets here?

Eat. Eat like you've never eaten before.
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:07 pm
@roger,
Chinese looking low buffet...which is gonna be the new entertainment thingy just arrived.

Driver lost...didn't have a trolley....had to lump it with him backwards long way...having glass of wine.

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:36 pm
@dlowan,
I HAS A FRIDGE!!!!!!!!!

And it has more room than my stupid little squiggly one did....and uses less electricity!!!

And it has one BIIIIG vegetable crisper instead of two dumb little ones so I can fit all my fruit and veg in.....and it's stainless steel and suits my kitchen....and it has weird little thjings I don't knw what they are yet....

I HAS A FRIDGE AND IT DOESN'T MAKE A HUGE CLATTERING NOISE MOST OF THE TIME! I CAN'T HEAR IT!!!!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:38 pm
@dlowan,
you gotta stop smoking and have alot money
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:44 pm
Congrats on the new fridge, bunny. Did you lose much food?
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:58 pm
@mac11,
I hope not.....some of the frozen stuff was showing signs of beginning to thaw....but not the chicken....I have zapped it back in, and put it on quick freeze.

The other food was kept pretty cold by the wet towel trick....and the airconditioning, which helped the wet towel thing by hastening evaporation.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 06:38:56