I need a spouse....or a butler...or a concierge.

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:14 pm
I'm sick of it!

You know the deal........something needs to be repaired/delivered/taken away......and you work full time, with no flexibility, or with (like me) flexibility in theory, but, in practice, with your diary full and locked in for weeks ahead.

So....either some other poor bastard has to work late or on the weekend (and charge a fortune) to fit in with you, or you have to wait forever to clear a day (and then they don't turn up.)

And...each company you deal with blithely says "we'll deliver sometime Thursday".....what time? ..."Oh, between 8.00 and 5.00"...can we narrow it down a bit?...."No."

I'm sick of it!!!!

I bet you are too!!!!

There ARE concierge services, but they cost a fortune.

And.....your friends/partner all work all the time too. So do your neighbours. I can't seem to train Miranda to screen calls and open the door.

Will anyone be my stay at home spouse? Or butler? No wages....but I'll talk nicely to you.

Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:21 pm
@dlowan,
you cover moving expenses?

(contemplating living with a shrink...)
dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:25 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

you cover moving expenses?

(contemplating living with a shrink...)

Sure...if you'll pack the little trailer and pull it yourself.

Oh...that would mean no moving costs to me, eh?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 01:15 am
@dlowan,
I'm afraid it's the age old story.

I'm taking advantage of my aunt being here while I head to Adelaide to get my washing machine fixed!

We need a wife! (You surely wouldn't expect a big important man to take responsibility for anything in the house now, would you! Twisted Evil )
chai2

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 01:30 am
@dlowan,
I don't know if this helps, but if I call the delivery people the morning of the delivery and ask them how many deliveries are they mak that day, and where am I on the list?

A long time ago when I was insistant on finding out when-abouts they would come, the dumb chick answering the phone told me "you're #2". So I asked how many deliveries they were making that day.

She was snotty and asked me what difference that made, so I said "well, if I'm 2nd out of 20, it'll be a lot sooner than if I'm 2nd out of 2."
Dutchy

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 01:34 am
@dlowan,
Sorry dlowan, although we live in the same town and I would love to help you, I'm quite the handyman I might add, Mrs.D has vetoed the idea.
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 02:30 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

I'm afraid it's the age old story.

I'm taking advantage of my aunt being here while I head to Adelaide to get my washing machine fixed!

We need a wife! (You surely wouldn't expect a big important man to take responsibility for anything in the house now, would you! Twisted Evil )

Yes, I would.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 02:31 am
@Dutchy,
Dutchy wrote:

Sorry dlowan, although we live in the same town and I would love to help you, I'm quite the handyman I might add, Mrs.D has vetoed the idea.

Oh, I am not asking anyone to FIX anything...just let the person who IS gonna fix it in.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 02:32 am
@chai2,
Yeah.....that sometimes narrows it down a bit....but not enough.

I normally have to take a full day off.

Last time I did that, the deliverer called late in the day and said he wasn't coming.

I STILL don't have those goods.
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 02:49 am
@dlowan,
Does anyone want to hear the story of How the Tiny Wabbit Made the Gigantic Telephone Company Pay Her a Day's Lost Wages?
roger

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 03:09 am
@dlowan,
Oh, no she didn't. Really?
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 03:11 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Oh, no she didn't. Really?

Oh my goodness yes she did....(and, for Australians)...it was TELSTRA!!!!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 05:20 am
@dlowan,
can you ask that they call you at work when the men are finishing up the job before yours, so you can go home?
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:52 am
@chai2,
Erm....again not really, as I have appointments all day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:02 am
@dlowan,
(wonders what kind of box Setanta'd need to be packed in, and how many airholes to put in)
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:11 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

(wonders what kind of box Setanta'd need to be packed in, and how many airholes to put in)

Sounds good!

I have managed to get the new fridge (old one terminal) and new entertainment thingy delivered Saturday.

I have then struggled to find someone who will pick up old fridge and some other rubbish on the same day.

Next:

Need plumber for several things.

Need electrician for several things.

Need to get thing that I took a day off to have delivered delivered.

Need to get second hand furniture dealers in to quote for some stuff I am selling and get it sold and picked up.

Need carpet cleaner in.

chai2

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:18 am
@ehBeth,
I am having a mental image of a crate being opened and set tumbling out.

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:21 am
@dlowan,
Not sure if this would help or not (or even a possibility), but could whatever individual/company/service person that is scheduled to come over on a particular day - call you about a half hour or so before they plan on arriving? I know sometimes a company cannot schedule a particular time because a project, delivery or repair could take longer than anticipated. I know one business that we have used frequently will call us an hour or half hour before hand - it is helpful so you don't have to use a whole day - you could get the call and drive home.
Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:22 am
@chai2,
hey - we thinking along the same wave length.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:24 am
@dlowan,
With all the stuff that needs to be done - In my humble opinion (which is very humble indeed) - seems like you should take one day off from work and schedule all this crap the same day.

1. Forums
  2. » I need a spouse....or a butler...or a concierge.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 03:27:28