AFGHANISTAN - A LESSON 200 YEARS OLD

revel

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:10 am

(The following is one the links in the following article)
http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2006/78868.htm

Quote:
A U.S. drone attack on Wednesday on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border killed at least seven Taliban members, including a number of foreign fighters, Reuters reported. U.S. drones have carried out more than 30 strikes over the last year, including 7 under the watch of U.S. President Barack Obama.

Obama, meanwhile, has ordered the deployment of 17,000 more troops to Afghanistan in an effort to stamp out the threat of the Taliban.

Curiously, however, as the war in Afghanistan stretches into its seventh year, the U.S. State Department has not designated the Taliban as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO).

From what is known, the problem may have initially stemmed from the fact that, by law, the State Department could not designate a government. This is no longer a hang-up; the Taliban government that sheltered al-Qaeda and Usama bin Laden from its rise to power in 1996 until its demise in 2001 is now dead and gone. The new organization that has sprouted up in its stead can perhaps be best described as an al-Qaeda “affiliate group.” It remains committed to carrying out a violent jihad against both U.S. servicemen and civilians in Afghanistan, and likely maintains contact with the al-Qaeda and Taliban forces that challenged the U.S. military during Operation Enduring Freedom. However, it no longer enjoys the government infrastructure that housed the Taliban for five years until 2001.

The bigger question at Foggy Bottom is now whether the Taliban should be viewed as a terrorist organization or an insurgency organization. Indeed, language from the 2007 State Department country report on Afghanistan seemed to imply that the Taliban was both.

In fact, the consensus at State is that the Taliban is made up of two factions " one moderate, and another one radical. Or, to put it another way, there may be a Taliban with a capital ‘T’ and a taliban with a lower case ‘t’.

President Obama underscored this notion in a March 8 interview with the New York Times, when he expressed an interest in reaching out to moderate forces among the militants, similar to those that helped bring stability to Iraq. “There may be some comparable opportunities in Afghanistan and in the Pakistani region,” he said.

The Taliban quickly dismissed Obama’s musings as “illogical.” Qari Mohammad Yousuf, a spokesman for the Taliban, insists that the Taliban are “united, have one leader, one aim, one policy.” The group claims that their campaign of violence will not end until the U.S. led forces in Afghanistan are defeated.

Meanwhile, the State Department continues to add less relevant terrorist groups to its FTO list. Peru’s Shining Path or the United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia (two recent additions) have little to do with the broader war on Islamist terror, yet their listings give the sense that they might pose more of a national security threat than the unlisted Taliban.

Designating the Taliban as a Foreign Terrorist Organization is long overdue.

For one, it would demonstrate that the United States views the Taliban as part of a dangerous jihadi network that is undoubtedly terrorist in nature. It is a mistake to allow the world to believe that even parts of the Taliban should be viewed as a legitimate “resistance” organization. A number of American allies, including Great Britain, the European Union, and Australia have followed America’s lead. They have also left the Taliban off their terrorism lists. Most recently, Russia indicated that it would hold talks with “moderate elements” of the Taliban after Obama indicated that he was considering a similar move. A designation would help reverse this dangerous trend.

More importantly, a Taliban designation would also recognize the great work that our military has done in Afghanistan. It would be tantamount to officially relegating the former Taliban government to an affiliate group " the first and only instance in the U.S.-led war on terrorism.

In other words, a designation would relay our belief that the Taliban cannot, under the current circumstances, mount enough strength to retake Afghanistan.

If moderate elements wish to negotiate with the U.S. military or even our diplomatic corps, they should not be allowed to approach the negotiating table as members of the Taliban. If they recognize the defeat of their banned terrorist group, they should be welcomed with open arms.

source

We clearly have enemies in the Taliban as evidenced by the Afghanistan State report I left a link to at the top of the page. We also still have enemies in AQ in Afghanistan, they have not given up and have in fact have grown stronger while we have been distracted in Iraq. We can't just leave and hope those in Afghanistan can fight those elements in the Taliban/AQ and other anti-government groups and keep track of any movements planned against our country when they have a hard enough time trying to keep themselves safe from those groups.
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 06:55 pm
@revel,
revel :
don't forget that pakistan supplies as many new fighters for the taliban as required .
the western nations are not likely going to invade pakistan - remember the "bomb" is controlled by the pakistan army .

i'd suggest to listen to u.s. admiral mcmullen - he is in on the ground in afganistan and knows the situation !

as long as the pakistan army is not part of the effort to keep the taliban under control - and there is NO indication that they will - , there is little ( NO ? ) hope of "winning" in afghanistan .

this article is a year old , but still worthwhile reading - just as a reminder how complicated the various relationships are .
much more " patience " (drinking endless cups of tea !!! ) - will be required .

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2008/07/hbc-90003347

just a snippet :

Quote:
The CIA, we learned in a report today, has compiled damning evidence of the Pakistani military’s complicity with the Taliban. But this is hardly news. Indeed, one analyst has repeatedly warned that Pakistani dictator Pervez Musharraf and his intelligence service have been taking America for a ride, pretending to support U.S. counter-terrorism operations while sheltering and supporting the Taliban and numerous other extremist organizations. That analyst is Ahmed Rashid, and he is the most articulate of the observers of the region between the Oxus and the shores of Karachi. Based in Lahore, Rashid combines scholarly excellence with popular appeal, as demonstrated by his book on the Taliban, which is Yale University Press’s all-time best-seller . Rashid’s latest book, Descent into Chaos pulls back the cover on American operations in Afghanistan, which were hampered from the outset by chronic bad judgment on the part of Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney.

... and there seems to be no evidence of any change in the american approach to solve the puzzle .
Advocate

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:30 pm
@hamburgboy,
The ME in general has a surplus of unemployed, or underemployed, young men who can be easily lured to join the Taliban. They are promised a job of sorts, travel, and an opportunity to kill infidel occupliers. This is all the more reason to get the hell out.
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:46 am
@Advocate,
Quote:
The ME in general has a surplus of unemployed, or underemployed, young men who can be easily lured to join the Taliban. They are promised a job of sorts, travel, and an opportunity to kill infidel occupliers. This is all the more reason to get the hell out.

unless the western nations ( the U.S. ) want to launch a "full scale" war - including conscription etc. - there seems little hope of settling things in the ME - and even then it would be questionable .
... and i haven't heard anyone suggesting that action as was required during WW II is the way to go . most just like to do the talk and not the walk imo .
but perhaps some volunteers will come forward ... ... i am waiting for certain a2k'ers to walk the talk PERSONALLY (not asking others to do it for them !) ... Rolling Eyes ... and waiting ... Shocked ...

... willing to wait .
Advocate

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 12:19 pm
@hamburgboy,
The military may be successful in getting some of the younger idiots who are disrupting town hall meetings. Volunteering for Afghanistan (or Pakistan) would be the next mindless step for these nonthinkers. Okie, Foxy, et al., on the right would just cheer them on.
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:51 pm
@Advocate,
 http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/OJO/OJO196/businesspeople-hiding-under_~pe0064650.jpg

Quote:
Okie, Foxy, et al., on the right would just cheer them on.

from under the desk , would be my guess .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 04:50 am

Afghanistan strategy not working, US commander McChrystal to tell Obama
Mark Tran
Guardian.co.uk, Monday 31 August 2009 11.23 BST

Top American commander to liken US military to bull charging at matador

The current US military strategy in Afghanistan is not working, America's top commander is expected to admit in a review to be presented to President Barack Obama in the next few days.

Quote:

According to reports leaked to the BBC, General Stanley McChrystal will liken the US military to a bull charging at the matador-like Taliban and slightly weakened with each "cut" it receives. The review is also expected to confirm that protecting the Afghan people against the Taliban must be the top priority. US officials have spoken openly about the failing war effort in Afghanistan and McChrystal's report will be a distillation of their strong misgivings.

McChrystal says the aim should be for Afghan forces to take the lead but that the Afghan army will not be ready to do so for three years and it will take much longer for the police to reach the right level of preparation.

The report does not mention increasing troop numbers, but the implication is that more soldiers will be needed to turn around an unsuccessful strategy. Officers in Afghanistan consider much of the effort of the last eight years wasted, with too few troops deployed and many of them placed in the wrong regions and given the wrong orders.

Any recommendation of a troop increase would come against a background of growing scepticism about the war, with the latest Washington Post-ABC news poll showing that only 49% of Americans now think the fight in Afghanistan is worthwhile. Obama appointed McChrystal to turn a war that is sucking in more and more western troops with litte discernible progress against the Taliban, which has proven to be much more resilient and organised than expected.

"Over the next 12 to 15 months, among the things you absolutely, positively have to do is persuade a sceptical American public that this can work, that you have a plan and a strategy that is feasible," Stephen Biddle, a military expert who advises the US-led command in Afghanistan, told the McClatchy-Tribune news service.

Another leading counter-insurgency expert said Afghanistan's government must fight corruption and deliver services to Afghans quickly, because Taliban militants were filling gaps and winning support....<cont>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/31/general-mcchrystal-afghanistan-bull
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:41 am
@hamburgboy,
Well, we can't just give up and let AQ who is in Afghanistan on the borders along with Taliban (who are now essentially AQ members the old Taliban having been dispersed) and let them get away with attacking us on 9/11 plus allow them to plan to attack us again because people think we can't win and so are now against the war? Talk about cutting and running and this time it is against the real enemy and a justified war. Perhaps Admiral McMullen will have answers I sure hope so.

In any case, one thing is for sure, we have got to get rid of these run-away contractors and Obama needs to be held accountable for his part in renewing these contractors. The following is another contractor run amuck.

Report Details Misbehavior by Kabul Embassy Guards
revel

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 06:05 am
@revel,
I forgot to respond to the part about Pakistan, I don't know your right it is a real puzzle, they may have a bomb, but we have more. However, that is hardly a desired outcome, another cold war (or worse) with us just pissing off the Pakistanis more thus fueling more AQ...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:41 am
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/uc/20090902/spo090901.gif
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:41 am
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/uc/20090902/spo090901.gif
revel

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:21 am
Rolling Eyes

We do have AQ in Pakistan and they have been helping those in Afghanistan but we still have AQ and Taliban in Afghanistan as well we should know because we are still loosing lives from forces fighting inside Afghanistan.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 06:25 am
@dyslexia,
Yes. Disturbingly deja vu.
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 10:43 am
@revel,
revel wrote :

" Well, we can't just give up and let AQ who is in Afghanistan on the borders along with Taliban (who are now essentially AQ members the old Taliban having been dispersed) and let them get away with attacking us on 9/11 plus allow them to plan to attack us again because people think we can't win and so are now against the war? Talk about cutting and running and this time it is against the real enemy and a justified war. Perhaps Admiral McMullen will have answers I sure hope so. "

.....................................................................................................................
so if we know that AQ and the taliban operate in afghanistan ( and cross the border from pakistan whenever they feel like it ) , why not send a few 100,000 soldiers to both afghanistan and pakistan to root out the trouble makers ?
(to be on the safe side , why not send a MILLION soldiers - if that's too many , bring some of them back home once the VICTORY has been established .
it worked in many previous wars - called "boots on the ground " - and limitless supply of new recruits ; just like AQ and the taliban .
worth a try , isn't it ??? )

oh , oh , would that require drafting citizens to serve several years in the forces ?
so let's forget that and just rant and rail - it takes little effort and we need not worry about having our lives disrupted much ( and a chunck of money spent on it ) .

( is this also called " let george do it ! " ? )

so just rant and rave ... ... - and if a draft notice arrives , return it with the notation : "unknown at this address" ... ... but tell the draft board where "george" lives - he probably would be happy to fight AQ and the taliban - tell george he is just going on a tax-payer funded vacation ... ...

(if anyone is willing to sign up for a draft PERSONALLY , you are invited to add your name to the list :
1 )
2 )
3 )
... end of message )

revel

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:17 am
I am not sure why you bothered to post that post at all as it answered nothing and was basically nothing more than a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

I have acknowledged that the war on terror is a real dilemma no matter where (if I haven't right out acknowledged it, I do now) it is fought as we are fighting on their home ground so to speak and they have nothing to loose by keeping on fighting and recruiting their members by using what we do in their countries to fight them. Moreover, the whole thing is like we stop up leaks only for more to pop up on down the pipe even bigger.

Perhaps another strategy should be implemented rather than just more military means, I have read where they are trying to talk with more moderates in the Taliban and other anti-government groups in Afghanistan and if we concentrate more on that end and less on killing people, maybe we would have more successes in the long run. Also, we need to keep up the pressure on Pakistan to do real things to counter AQ in their country. But we can't just go home and hope everything will be better and AQ will suddenly just turn over a new leaf and decide they don't want to kill the US after all. We have to keep at least somewhere in the area and stay on top of it and be aware of all that goes on so we are not caught unawares again.
revel

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:21 am
@msolga,
Oh yea, real deja vu. We went into Iraq when they didn't attack us. Obama stepped up the heat in Afghanistan because the Taliban/AQ and other anti-groups have been regrouping and carrying out terrorist activities. They did attack us. AQ and the Taliban are getting help and recruitment from Pakistan and there are AQ and the Taliban in Pakistan as well, it may be at some point we may have to go over the border if the Pakistan government does not do more to fight AQ and Taliban.
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 11:22 am
@revel,
revel wrote :

Quote:
I am not sure why you bothered to post that post at all as it answered nothing and was basically nothing more than a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

i am quite surprised that you read and responded to my post .

revel further wrote :

Quote:
Also, we need to keep up the pressure on Pakistan to do real things to counter AQ in their country.

that SOUNDS great , but how to do that ?
the pakistan government/military knows that right now they have the upper hand against the west . also , they are not very interested in stopping insurgents from crossing back and forth ; they are mainly interested in keeping the pakistan central country "relatively" quiet .

so the interests of pakistan and western allies differ considerably .

i still doubt that the U.S. (and others) are willing to put enough military AND MONEY into trying to win the conflict ( at least in the short term ) .
perhaps it has been realized ( but not been stated publicly ) that this process (pacifying) can only be a long-term project that might stretch out over decades .
i think there are enough examples in the world history showing that often a quick resolution/victory cannot be achieved .

looking at vietnam , we can now see that the U.S. government/business has long forgotten the war and is happily AND PROFITABLY trading with vietnam .
perhaps in another 30 - 40 years there will be a prosperous trade with the afghans ( once a reasonably stable government has been established ) .

time is usully the great healer - even in regional/world conflicts .

( looking at lybia is also a good example that " time is the great healer " . making money - getting access to high grade oil - lubricates these arrangements greatly ) .
but that is just my opinion .
revel

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 12:34 pm
@hamburgboy,

Quote:
i still doubt that the U.S. (and others) are willing to put enough military AND MONEY into trying to win the conflict ( at least in the short term ) .
perhaps it has been realized ( but not been stated publicly ) that this process (pacifying) can only be a long-term project that might stretch out over decades .
i think there are enough examples in the world history showing that often a quick resolution/victory cannot be achieved .

Makes a lot of sense and could be your right.
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:30 pm
@revel,
revel :
i guess we are still "communicating" and not just posting drivel , ehhh ?

it seems that the new U.S. commander( mcchrystal ? ) is preparing the americans
for a long term solution that might take years to implement to become successful rather than quick fixes that won't hold up .

the question is : how patient are the american people ( and their "leaders" ) going to be ? and what is the cost going to be ?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/Afghanistan/article6816001.ece

from the report :

Quote:
The campaign in Afghanistan is failing and the strategies in place must be revised, the commander of US and Nato forces said today.

General Stanley McChrystal described the situation in the country as "serious", but said success could be achieved there with a new approach.
Gen McChrystal now commands 103,000 troops in Afghanistan, including 63,000 Americans and 9,00 British soldiers. More than half of the US force arrived this year as part of an escalation strategy begun under outgoing President George W. Bush.

The existing force is due to rise to 110,000, including 68,000 Americans, by the end of this year.

Since taking command, Gen McChrystal has adjusted the focus of Western forces from hunting down insurgents to trying to protect the Afghan population, borrowing in part from US tactics in Iraq developed under CentCom commander General David Petraeus.

(that also seems to be what the pakistanis are doing : protecting the vast masses of the population rather than hunting all over the place for small groups of insurgents - particularly in the border areas )

His review is expected to suggest concentrating forces in more heavily populated areas and also stepping up efforts to train Afghan soldiers and police.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:10 pm
@revel,
Quote:
Oh yea, real deja vu. We went into Iraq when they didn't attack us. Obama stepped up the heat in Afghanistan because the Taliban/AQ and other anti-groups have been regrouping and carrying out terrorist activities. They did attack us. AQ and the Taliban are getting help and recruitment from Pakistan and there are AQ and the Taliban in Pakistan as well, it may be at some point we may have to go over the border if the Pakistan government does not do more to fight AQ and Taliban.

Revel

Here's a perfectly timed response to your post from the Letters pages of my morning paper today. It's in response to a previous letter, but never mind ... I think sums up the futility of engaging in combat with an ideological enemy, very nicely. "We" (as you call NATO & other troops involved in the Afghanistan invasion) cannot kill or destroy an ideology by engaging in warfare against it. Especially if attempts to destroy that ideology lead to the "accidental" killings, maimings & yet more hardship for the Afghans who have the misfortune of living in areas which have become combat zones. This is hardly winning their "hearts & minds! And a possible outcome is this military activity by "our" troops is to actually to convert them to our enemy's ideology, in response to what they might understandably perceive to be a foreign invasion. Hardly the outcome we had in mind!

I become very nervous when a failing military venture leads the military "experts" to recommend that even more troops are necessary to "win" the war. (I remember Vietnam very well. This actually does sound remarkably like deja vu!)

I 'd like to echo the question of the writer of this article: " .... the Soviet occupation was at a time when ''nation building by foreign powers was in vogue''. What exactly is the advantage this time? ..."

I certainly don't believe the election of Karzai was worth the cost of the lives of so many of "our" troops, nor the cost for the unfortunate Afghans. The likelihood of yet more casualties in the future, in pursuit of some ill-defined "victory", is really quite distressing. I don't think "we" are at all clear about what exactly we wish to achieve in Afghanistan.

Quote:
In too deep

JONATHAN Steele's assertion that ''Hardware may change, but it's still a struggle to battle 'ghosts' in Afghanistan'' (Comment, 2/9) highlights the glaring reality that is history repeating itself. The situation in Afghanistan is an arguably avoidable mess, had governments and NATO paused to consider events of the past and the ramifications of trying to fight an ideology.

As an historian and history teacher, I have seen many students somewhat bewildered when studying 20th-century world history and then considering current world events; we have often joked that if politicians had been better history students, then maybe they would have the foresight and insight to avoid committing troops and innocent civilians to battles against a faceless enemy.

Just as the need to personify communism during the Cold War led to our involvement in Vietnam and Soviet involvement in Afghanistan, the need to have a terrorism incarnate to justify fearmongering has once again led to international bodies finding themselves in way over their heads.

And as Steele also highlighted, the Soviet occupation was at a time when ''nation building by foreign powers was in vogue''. What exactly is the advantage this time?

Sarah Fenton, St Kilda East

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/letters/hands-off-our-parks-20090904-fbdj.html?page=-1