@hamburgboy,
I understood your post perfectly, hamburger! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 02:22 am
@msolga,
I posed this question the day before the election in Afghanistan:

Quote:
You know what really surprises me? Apart from this thread (which hasn't been heavily contributed to) I can't find any other threads, nor any discussion about the Afghanistan election on A2k. (Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places?) I find this really odd, given the election is tomorrow (20th August) ..... & also because many A2Kers live in countries which whose military troops are fighting in Afghanistan right now .. The US, the UK, Australia, etc, etc, etc ...
So I would have thought there'd be a lot more interest in the outcome of this election, especially given that one of the often stated reasons for NATO & other forces being there is to assist the democratic process through ensuring a safe election in Afghanistan. I don't understand: we are spending huge amounts of money on this war & there have been heavy casualties ... so why so little interest or desire to discuss this issue? (Don't get me wrong. I am not so much being critical as expressing my puzzlement. Why the lack of interest?)

Due to the surprising lack of interest (especially within the US, which has made such a big contribution in troops & financial outlay) , I'm going to have a go at answering my own question!:

I think it's the Obama factor:

Many/most of those in the US, especially those who vehemently opposed the war in Iraq (which I prefer to call an invasion, because I believe it's a more accurate description of that unfortunate episode) were anti-Bush/anti-Republican folk. It was easy for them to oppose that invasion, because they were opposed to Bush & everything his government stood for. (Similar situation to the Vietnam anti-war protests)

Those in the US who (just as vocally) supported "the troops", tended to be pro-Bush/Republican folk. We had lots of impassioned arguments here on A2K about whether those who opposed the Iraq invasion were undermining the (US) troops.

Come this Afghanistan invasion/war, interestingly most of those sorts of arguments aren't happening. In fact, it's almost as if most people don't want to know about what's happening in Afghanistan at all. (Too bad for the troops from NATO & other countries who are fighting & dying there. It's almost as if their lives, their safety doesn't matter any more.)

So why is it so? I think it's because the Republicans/the usual hawks/supporter of US war involvements (mostly from the comfort of their arm chairs) find it hard, if not impossible, to support an initiative led by a Democrat government. Especially one led by Obama. In effect they have deserted "the troops" they so passionately championed in Iraq.

And the Democrat/usual anti-war folk find it almost impossible to be critical of Obama's government's actions. Because they are so grateful to have a "progressive" government in charge of the US of A again & don't want to undermine it . I really can understand that, but ......

... in the meantime NATO & allied soldiers are dying for little, if any, gain. And many Afghans are dying & suffering directly as a result of our involvement in their country.

Quite a while ago I decided (no matter how partisan - or otherwise - I felt toward a particular government or its opposition), I would try to react to each government's actions in a non-partisan way. In terms of whether I believed positive or negative outcomes were likely to occur as a result of any government policies. In Obama's case, it's hard. I would dearly like his administration to be successful & win (at least) a second term in office. But I honestly believe he's got it very wrong with Afghanistan.

0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 07:18 am
@msolga,
I understand what you and hamburger are saying about the hardships of fighting an ideological enemy, you can't kill them all and they will always regroup to live to fight another day as we have seen over the years. Also fighting in Afghanistan or any other country probably does not endear us to the people who try to live there in a permanent war zone. I also agree with Hamburger that more than likely we will have more success over the long haul if we use less military means and more (way more) 'pacifying' means when trying to combat AQ and the Taliban and other groups such as that. I think the word pacifying is more derogatory than it should be because all it means is finding ways to appeal to the moderates and those willing to work with us in order to bring more stability and peace to their country while at the same making us (the US and the rest of the western nations) safer. Any time you have less people willing to recruited to the extremist side, it is bound to be a good thing for both sides.

My only objection was more academic so to speak when it seems as though people act like we just went over to Afghanistan because we wanted to conquer their country and change their way of life by taking over their country. That may have been true with Iraq and Vietnam but not with Afghanistan after we were attacked on 9/11 and lost over 3000 lives in one morning by AQ who were harbored by the Taliban in Afghanistan. This was not about giving Afghanistan safe elections or trying to turn them into a democracy but merely defending ourselves from a true enemy who did attack us (US) on 9/11 and who have shown no signs of giving up so we can't either.

But perhaps we can use smarter weapons such as diplomacy and working with those willing to work with us and using more intelligence sharing between countries and things of that nature rather than trying to kill off all our enemies which seems to to kill innocents and recruit more people for the other side.

BTW, I was for the Afghanistan war back when Bush was in office after 9/11 and was disgusted that we basically abandoned that effort to haring off to another country that had nothing to do with with happened to our country. I also supported Bush when it came to his immigration sentiments so to speak, but on all else, I simply didn't agree with as it went against my positions and felt that the administration misled the country to go to a war we didn't need to fight at the time.
McTag

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 03:33 pm

Quite a good report from the front (all things considered)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/we-pity-the-brits-the-view-from-the-marines-1782093.html
msolga

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 08:57 pm
@McTag,
These stats (at the bottom of the page of the link you posted) caught my attention, McTag. Good grief! The combined cost of this war (so far) is 147 billion UK pounds! Shocked And this is factoring in the costs to only the USA & the UK! The are many other nations involved, of course. Imagine what that huge amount of money could be used for, instead. Well, clearly some folk are doing very nicely indeed, out of this war business, that's obvious! Outrageous!:

Quote:
Afghanistan in numbers

Troops

*US 62,000

*UK 9,100

Deaths

*US 742

*UK 212

Helicopters

*US 120

25-40 Chinook

50-60 UH-60 Black Hawk

25-35 Apache (non-troop carrying attack helicopter)

*UK 30

8-10 Chinook

6 Sea King

5 Lynx

8 Apache (non troop-carrying attack helicopter)

6 Merlin to arrive by end of 2009

Cost

*US £135bn

*UK £12bn
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 09:16 pm
@revel,
Quote:
My only objection was more academic so to speak when it seems as though people act like we just went over to Afghanistan because we wanted to conquer their country and change their way of life by taking over their country. That may have been true with Iraq and Vietnam but not with Afghanistan after we were attacked on 9/11 and lost over 3000 lives in one morning by AQ who were harbored by the Taliban in Afghanistan. This was not about giving Afghanistan safe elections or trying to turn them into a democracy but merely defending ourselves from a true enemy who did attack us (US) on 9/11 and who have shown no signs of giving up so we can't either.

revel

Many reasons have been given over time for our involvement in Afghanistan. Including making the election a safe one for democratic participation, improving women's rights, responding to terrorist aggression, making our own countries safe from future terrorist attacks, etc, etc ...

A sustained attack in response to 9/11 would definitely have made more sense immediately following that event (if you believe that a military response was appropriate). I agree with you about the timing. It makes a lot less sense to be responding to 9/11 now. Especially following the Iraq debacle.
revel

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 07:22 am
@msolga,
Obama stepped up more action in Afghanistan because the Taliban/AQ and other extremist groups in Afhanistan have regrouped and have been increasingly more violent.

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- In a remarkable shift, Afghanistan, where U.S. officials were once confident of victory, is now rivaling Iraq as the biggest cause of concern for American policymakers.

According to a new Pentagon report, Taliban militants have regrouped after their initial fall from power and "coalesced into a resilient insurgency." The report paints a grim picture of the conflict, concluding that Afghanistan's security conditions have deteriorated sharply while the fledgling national government in Kabul remains incapable of extending its reach throughout the country or taking effective counternarcotics measures.

source

Admittedly this largely came about because of the support AQ and the Taliban got and continues to get from Pakistan.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 08:35 am
since Afghanistan shares borders with Iran-Turkmenistan-Uzbekistan-Tajikistan-China and Pakistan, perhaps we should just secure the borders.
hamburgboy

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 12:14 pm
@dyslexia,
dys :

securing the borders will be assigned to the keystone cops !
(i have it on good authority - they are being featured on TV presently ! )

http://www.gopusanj.com/images/keystone.jpg

see those rugged fellows chasing hither and thither ... ...
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:40 am
A Swedish charity decries our forces going on a rampage. This is pretty disgusting and gives more weight to the argument that we must get the hell out.

http://news.aol.com/article/charity-us-troops-stormed-hospital-in/657605

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:57 am
@Advocate,
Quote:
A Swedish charity decries our forces going on a rampage. This is pretty disgusting and gives more weight to the argument that we must get the hell out

the charity was trying to claim that they are a sanctuary, and outside the authority of our forces. An Embassy would be, a church could be, be we can't allow every NGO to set up sanctuary, and they have no international law to support them. If they do not cooperate then they should be made to comply by force. The US has nothing to be ashamed about here.
Advocate

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 11:51 am
@hawkeye10,
Under international law, a hospital (even a military one) is exempt from attack. Notice in the article that our military is looking into the incident, which it called rare.
revel

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:34 pm
@Advocate,
Boy you sure sing a different tune than on the Israel...thread.

I agree that we need to use smarter tactics and more diplomatic tactics, but we do not need to get out and just forget about AQ and the Taliban who have regrouped and have shown no signs of turning over a new leaf.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:46 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
Under international law, a hospital (even a military one) is exempt from attack. Notice in the article that our military is looking into the incident, which it called rare.

this was not an attack, this was a search for combatants, which the NGO was claiming it had no duty to turn over as they are sanctuary.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 06:12 pm
Ways & means & hearts & minds ....
I found this piece by Bob Ellis (Oz playwright, writer & often irreverent political commentator) a pretty interesting read.
There might be other ways to "liberate" a country or "win" a war than bombing the hell out of the place! Idea :

The battle for hearts and minds is crashing and burning
Bob Ellis
September 8, 2009/the AGE

Here's an idea to get people on side in a war: stop bombing them.

Quote:
......Why bomb and burn anything in a global war on an idea? Does bombing and burning make yours a better idea? How does that follow? How does that work? Old friend, you may have fallen into error on this matter.

You may have sought the wrong advice. You may be pursuing the wrong global policy. You might be fighting the wrong war for the wrong hearts and minds and losing it.

Might it not be a better idea to buy the entire poppy crop each year, offering each farmer a fair bit more than Karzai's gangster friends now pay for it, and give it free to the world's poorer hospices where, in the form of morphine, it will help old, dying people die more happily?

And if there's any left over, burn it all in a public place, on Thanksgiving Day perhaps, with a suitable oration by Barack Obama proclaiming this first small step in the war on drugs for mankind and civilisation, the first small step towards victory.

This plan would cost less per year than two days of the war on terror in Baghdad and Kabul and make friends, not lose them. Or am I wrong? And might it not be a better idea to offer sanctuary in several Western countries - New Zealand, Sweden, Canada, Australia, Germany - to any Hazara who wants to leave Afghanistan and settle there? Might this not be cheaper than pursuing and killing those that pursue and kill them for their beliefs?......

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/the-battle-for-hearts-and-minds-is-crashing-and-burning-20090907-feat.html?page=-1
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 07:24 pm
@hamburger,
I'm not sure I posted on this thread(s), msolga. I think of the u.s. being in afghanistan as futile while being invasive and engendering enemies, but that's me. I suppose we can always overpower some country for a while, but I don't like it. Usually. I'll argue with myself on this kind of thinking from time to time, but, on this one, I see our intervening with the mujahadeen as an act of developed dumbness, and that all else has flowed from that.
msolga

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 03:25 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
... but I don't like it.

Either do I, osso. For similar reasons as you, plus a few more.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 07:54 am
@ossobuco,
I am not too keen on interfering in Afghanistan's government or country either. The only reason I support it is so that perhaps with luck there would not be so many would be recruits for AQ/Taliban if the people were more stable and had some kind structure in which to carry on constructional lives.

On the other hand I don't see much alternative other than just to bomb people or just forget about those who attacked us (the US) on 9/11 and shrug our shoulders and say "that's life" and pack up and go home even though the same terrorist organization who attacked us on 9/11 have regrouped and is still there and/or supporting the Taliban to carry out terrorist activities and operating in the country. One of the three are our only options as far as I can see.

On the still another hand, I guess no matter when we leave, the same could happen (they can regroup once we draw down and leave) or will be happening when we leave.

Perhaps we could leave the country but stay focused on the area and respond as needed.
msolga

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 05:54 pm
@revel,
Quote:
..... I don't see much alternative other than just to bomb people or just forget about those who attacked us (the US) on 9/11 and shrug our shoulders and say "that's life" and pack up and go home even though the same terrorist organization who attacked us on 9/11 have regrouped and is still there and/or supporting the Taliban to carry out terrorist activities and operating in the country. One of the three are our only options as far as I can see.

revel

According to many past media reports, there is reason to suspect that the instigators of 9/11 (Obama & his cronies) are long gone from Afghanistan. Possibly in the mountains of Pakistan, if they're all still alive. Continued bombings in Afghanistan now by NATO & allied forces (in retaliation for 9/11) could look rather more like revenge, than anything else. And I sincerely doubt that this is winning over the "hearts & minds" of the ordinary Afghans, who had nothing to do with the planning & implementation of 9/11, & whose lives have been so severely affected by this war . And I doubt many of these beleaguered Afghans, whose villages & land have been turned into war zones, have the time or even the level of education, to indulge in the luxury of politics. I also doubt that the "accidental" killings, maimings & destruction of their property by our forces are winning over too many converts, either.

As for the Taliban. I've read many recent media reports suggesting that negotiations in "high places" are being seriously considered between "our" side & theirs. I haven't time now, but if you like, I'll find some of these reports & post them here later.

The point is, we have to ask ourselves (well I think we do, anyway) what is our involvement in this war in Afghanistan actually achieving for the Afghans & what is it achieving for "us"? As I see it, the only clear winners at the moment are the weapons suppliers. They are making billions out of this war. It is very big business.

If we really wanted to bring about major improvements in the lives of the ordinary people of Afghanistan, to make their country less dependent on corruption & the influence of the warlords & the Taliban, this suggestion from an article I posted yesterday (Battle for Hearts & Minds is Crashing & Burning), might not be as far-fetched as it might initially seem! :

Quote:
...Might it not be a better idea to buy the entire poppy crop each year, offering each farmer a fair bit more than Karzai's gangster friends now pay for it, and give it free to the world's poorer hospices where, in the form of morphine, it will help old, dying people die more happily?

And if there's any left over, burn it all in a public place, on Thanksgiving Day perhaps, with a suitable oration by Barack Obama proclaiming this first small step in the war on drugs for mankind and civilisation, the first small step towards victory.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/battle-for-hearts-and-minds-is-crashing-and-burning-20090907-feat.html?page=-1
revel

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:43 am
@msolga,
I am not quite sure where you are getting media reports but a pentagon report said the following:

Quote:
"The Taliban regrouped after its fall from power and have coalesced into a resilient insurgency. It now poses a challenge to the Afghan Government’s authority in some rural areas. Insurgent violence increased in 2007, most visibly in the form of asymmetric attacks as Afghan and international forces’ relentless pressure forced the insurgents to shift the majority of its effort to targeting police and civilians. More than 6,500 people died as a result of suicide attacks, roadside bombs, and combat-related violence. The 2007 ISAF and ANSF military campaign caused setbacks to the Afghan insurgency, including leadership losses and the loss of some key safe-havens in Afghanistan. Despite these setbacks, the Taliban is likely to maintain or even increase the scope and pace of its terrorist attacks and bombings in 2008. The Taliban will challenge the control of the Afghan government in rural areas, especially in the south and east."

But the report was limited in scope to events prior to April of this year. Secretary Gates had to contradict one assertion in the report on the day before it was issued, when he admitted that attacks in eastern Afghanistan, including Khost province, rose 40 percent from January to May.

The report also discussed the role that drug trafficking plays in the Taliban's resurgence. "The cultivation, production and trafficking of narcotics in Afghanistan is a major concern. Narcotics-related activities are fueling the insurgency in Afghanistan and, if left unchecked, threaten the long-term stability of the country and the surrounding region. Over 90 percent of the world’s opium originates in Afghanistan, and the emerging nexus between narcotics traffickers and the insurgency is clear."

The report also criticizes Pakistan's appeasement of the Taliban in its Northwest provinces, identifying cross-border infiltration and attacks as the greatest threat to Afghanistan.

"The greatest challenge to long-term security within Afghanistan is the insurgent sanctuary within the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) of Pakistan. The ANSF must be able to coordinate actions with a Pakistani force that is trained and resourced to eliminate threats emanating from within Pakistan. The Pakistan Military (PAKMIL)’s clashes with Taliban members and terrorist organizations in Pakistan’s northwestern tribal areas have, in the past, contributed to a decrease in cross-border insurgent activity in Afghanistan’s eastern provinces. The U.S. is concerned about ceasefire negotiations and other agreements between the Government of Pakistan (GoP) and possible militant groups in South Waziristan and other locations in the FATA and North West Frontier Province. After similar agreements were signed in 2005 and 2006, cross-border operations by extremist groups against U.S. and NATO forces increased substantially."

source

The Taliban which has been regrouping has been supported by AQ in Pakistan and they are still linked.

Pakistan: Taliban leader builds new links with Al-Qaeda