DIAMONDS FROM TEQUILA

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 06:41 pm
apparently , a way has been found to turn tequila into diamonds !
i wonder if more people wouldn't be interested in turning diamonds into tequila ???
since my tequila consumption has been minimal i'm not concerned about being turned into diamonds .
hbg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7725815.stm

i see , the tequila may be turned into computer chips !
does that mean the chips can be "re-distilled" and turned back into tequila ?

Quote:
Diamonds produced from tequila
By Greg Morsbach, BBC News

A method of producing synthetic diamonds using tequila - Mexico's favourite alcoholic drink - has been discovered, scientists there say.

The amazing discovery was made by physicists from the National Autonomous University of Mexico, and could have many industrial uses.

There is one catch however. The synthetic diamond crystals are too small to be turned into jewellery.

Mexico produces hundreds of millions of litres of tequila every year.

Annual sales to the US alone are worth about $500m.

The head of the scientific team, Miguel Apatica explained to the BBC how they came up with their discovery.

"First of all we turn the liquid tequila into vapour by using a lot of heat. The gas molecules are then broken up into tiny particles. Then we increase the heat even further - to around 800 degrees celsius."

"The end result is that we get carbon atoms which are then deposited in the shape of a very thin diamond film," he added.

The synthetic diamond crystals can only be seen under an electronic microscope.

Although they cannot be used for jewellery, there are plenty of practical applications for them.

They can be used as an alternative to silicone in computer chips or as ultra fine cutting instruments in medical procedures.

One advantage of making diamond film from tequila is that it is extremely cheap.

The scientists found that even the cheapest of tequila brands, averaging at $3 a bottle, are good enough to make diamonds.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,580 • Replies: 14
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:43 pm
@hamburger,
There are many ways of producing synthetic diamonds. Diamonds are a "rip off" industry. They are not rare in nature and can be easily manufactured. But I suspect I must have a diamond or two floating around inside me!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 12:05 am
@hamburger,
Quote:
averaging at $3 a bottle

Where are they buying it? Even crap tequila in Australia costs plenty.

And why just tequila? Could they make rubies from red wine? Or emeralds from absinthe?
Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 01:33 am
I wish you hadn't mentioned this - I am now obligated to purchase a bottle of tequila and protect its contents from those loony scientists. A lemon and some salt will also be safeguarded in the process.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:05 am
http://www.hispanicmpr.com/images/hmprphotos2007/hmprCuervo750bottle.jpg

$3 a ******* bottle. My codlings!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:08 am
@Mr Stillwater,
They can only make diamonds out of alcohol , not rubies or sapphires or emeralds . I suppose that if you get drunk enough anythingll look like a ruby.
Blickers

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 07:07 am
@hamburger,
Diamondlike coatings are used all over the place, including plastic eye glasses. These are hard, clear coatings that have much of the hardness of diamond, but not the full amount.

This sounds like a process that can put a genuine diamond film, of full hardness, onto something for not much money. If so, we might find a flood of extremely hard tools being produced soon, as well protective coatings on all sorts of things which are now fragile.

0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 03:55 am
NO NO NO!! FFS!!

The point is not whether this is a miracle coating that will save humanity. The point is do we need all our valuable booze turned into something non-drinkable by a bunch of nerdish point-headed pointdexters??

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s4/spoonbits/Poindexter.png

Of course someone like this will do anything with a bottle of tequila EXCEPT DRINK IT!! Are we gerbils, do we live in a cold, inhuman technocrachy?

I say; let the scientists practice on lab-rats, rabbits and the occasional Amish - but leave the important work on the effects of ethanol on the human psyche to true professionals.
roger

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:16 am
@Mr Stillwater,
You're a jewel Stilly. A virtual diamond in the rough.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 03:30 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:
Quote:
averaging at $3 a bottle

Where are they buying it? Even crap tequila in Australia costs plenty.

you must be paying taxes on the tequila if it's more than $3 a bottle .
paying taxes on your liquor is not a smart way of shopping <GRIN>
hbg
Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 01:40 am
@hamburger,
Quote:
paying taxes on your liquor is not a smart way of shopping

Are you suggesting I should just steal it? I also pay a ******* fortune for maple syrup - don't suppose you can just fill up a postal tube with the stuff and send it over. Just tap those trees in the front yard.... ta.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 02:08 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Re: Mr Stillwater (Post 3472484)
They can only make diamonds out of alcohol , not rubies or sapphires or emeralds . I suppose that if you get drunk enough anythingll look like a ruby.

Thanks for your words of wisdom f-man!

Usually I find when I get drunk enough, Ruby looks good enough to make out with! Hardee, har!
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:22 am
The largest known diamond is 2,500 miles across and measures ten billion trillion trillion carats. Found directly above Australia (eight light years away) the diamond sits inside the star Lucy in the constellation Centaurus.

Lucy got its nickname from the Beatles' classic "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," but its technical name is white dwarf BPM 37093. The Beatles' song was named after a picture drawn by John Lennon's son Julian of his four-year-old friend Lucy Richardson.

.... filched from "The Book of General Ignorance" by John Lloyd and John Mitchinson
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:06 pm
And how much tequila was sacrificed to make this??

I envisage a Margarita as big as the Milky Way......
Debacle

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 09:26 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Nary a drop but what is returned by the case, beamed directly to Margaritaville, which for all I know lies somewhere between the Murray's green basin and the dusty outback. Never been there meself.
0 Replies