Butrflynet

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 09:32 pm
CNET Nintendo Wii Console Reviews

Quote:
Product summary
The good:
Revolutionary controller design offers unique motion-sensitive gameplay options; built-in Wi-Fi delivers free online services and gameplay; Virtual Console has major nostalgia appeal; compatible with all GameCube games and controllers; built-in SD slot for storage and photo viewing; includes Wii Sports game; most affordable home game console.

The bad:
Controller eats batteries and takes some time to get used to; online gaming and community features hobbled by horrible "friends code" system; nunchuk controller sold separately; lacks the advanced HD graphics and surround sound found on the Xbox 360 and the PS3; requires a wired receiver unit placed near the TV to interface with wireless controllers; can't play CDs or DVDs.

The bottom line:
It lacks the graphical prowess and rich media features of the Xbox 360 and the PS3, but the Nintendo Wii's combination of unique motion-sensitive controllers and emphasis on fun gameplay make the ultra-affordable console hard to resist.

Specifications:
Product Description: Nintendo Wii - Game console; Form Factor: Desktop; Media Type: Nintendo GAMECUBE disc, Nintendo Wii disc; See full specs

(Click the above link for detailed CNET reviews and user reviews)

CNET Nintendo Lite (Polar White) Console Reviews

Quote:
Product summary
The good:
The Nintendo DS Lite is slimmer and much sleeker that the original DS. The device employs innovative dual-screen and microphone-enabled gameplay as well as Wi-Fi multiplayer capabilities, allowing for a growing list of original and fun games that you can't play on any other system. In addition, the system is backward-compatible with almost every GBA title. All these additions come without increasing the price or decreasing the features of the original DS.

The bad:
Playing online games via Wi-Fi can be a hassle. The darker models are just as susceptible to scratches and smudges as the Sony PSP and the iPod, and its multimedia potential remains exclusive to Japan.

The bottom line:
With a slick new design, brighter screens, and a growing library of fun and innovative games, the Nintendo DS Lite is an impressive improvement over the original DS.

Specifications:
Product Description: Nintendo DS Lite - Handheld game system; Form Factor: Handheld; Media Type: Cartridge; See full specs

(Click the above link for detailed CNET review and user reviews)

GAMES:

CNET Wii Game Reviews

CNET DS Game Reviews

boomerang

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 09:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hm. "Friend's codes" sound like a good idea to me, not "horrible" at all.

We haven't even investigated the online options of Mo's game players. I'm not ready to invite strangers into his life.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 10:45 pm
If you are in the states, and are okay with waiting in line at 4am, then Sam's Club has a great deal on black friday. They will be offering a nintendo wii, along with 3 wii-motes, 3 nunchucks, and 3 games (wii sports, mario super sluggers, and king of clubs mini golf) all for $224. Of course you have to be a member, which is I think $40 or so.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:44 am
That IS a good deal, thanks! The whole 4 AM/ chaos thing sounds kind of horrible to me but that's a whole lot of stuff rolled into the price. Maybe.

I just thought of something... my husband will be in Japan soon. Would he be able to buy one of these much cheaper there than here?
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 09:50 am
@sozobe,
The Wii won't be compatible with your TV, but the Nintendo DS could work.
On the other hand, Japan is extremely expensive, I doubt that he'd get a bargain there.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 02:54 pm
@sozobe,
Woops, looks like my source was wrong. From Gizmodo:

Quote:
Sadly, the Sam's Club Black Friday deal featuring a Wii, three Wiimotes, three Nunchuks, and two games for $224 was just too good to be true. The good news is that the bundle will still be available at Sam's, be it for the higher price of $425. Seeing as this package includes $180 in controllers alone, shoppers will still be getting a pretty decent deal by scoring Mario Super Sluggers and King of Clubs Mini-Golf on top of the hardware.
sozobe

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:02 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Aw. Thanks for the update though.

(Japan opportunity has come and gone.)
0 Replies