Still Working Hard, Still Falling Short

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:19 pm
The American Dream is grounded in the belief that hard work leads to economic advancement and self-sufficiency. Today, the stark reality is that too many American families, despite working hard, earn incomes too low to achieve economic security.

The statistics paint a troubling picture:

• More than one out of four working families with children is low-income. In all, a total of 42 million adults and children struggle to get by.

• The number of low-income working families increased by 350,000 between 2002 and 2006.

• Income inequality among working families increased by almost 10 percent from 2002 to 2006.

Link to full report from "The Working Poor Families Project
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,787 • Replies: 6
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I hope Americans have learned their lesson to pick the right man for public office especially the presidency.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:39 pm
Can't see him making light of someone who has to work three jobs to make ends meet. Unlike Dubya, who managed to take more vacation time that any other President (he may have found that one full-time job was too stressful):

"I have one child, Robbie, who is mentally challenged, and I have two daughters."

"Fantastic," the president exclaims, and he tells her she has "the hardest job in America, being a single mom."

Later, the 57-year old Mornin tells Bush that she works three jobs, which the president deems "uniquely American" and "fantastic." He asks her if she gets any sleep.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:11 am
@Mr Stillwater,
yesterday I delivered 2 inflatables to an event...set up a sound system and sat on a stool and played my guitar and sang for 4 hours until my fingertips were calloused. THEN I had to spend an hour taking it down and taking it home. For all this work I was paid about 200 lousy bucks an hour. This morning I'm having to type with one hand while I soak my fingertips in Palmolive. God life sucks.
Mame

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:18 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

yesterday I delivered 2 inflatables to an event...set up a sound system and sat on a stool and played my guitar and sang for 4 hours until my fingertips were calloused. THEN I had to spend an hour taking it down and taking it home. For all this work I was paid about 200 lousy bucks an hour. This morning I'm having to type with one hand while I soak my fingertips in Palmolive. God life sucks.

I hope you were being facetious, Bear.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:39 am
no source other than what I heard on the telly this morning; Median house sales value in Detroit $9,000. OMG.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 02:29 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
I delivered 2 inflatables

What do you mean by 'inflatables'? Balloons? Sex-toys? Those jumping castle things?
0 Replies