I love you, mum: First words of brain-damaged girl, 6, given power of speech

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 07:00 pm
I love you, mum: First words of brain-damaged girl, 6, given power of speech by laser which tracks her eye movements

Quote:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/31/article-1081998-02504BFD000005DC-620_233x219.jpg A severely handicapped little girl who cannot walk or talk has used a machine to tell her mother for the first time: 'I love you.'

Six-year-old Elke Wisbey, who was born brain-damaged, has been able to communicate with her family by using a high-tech gadget which tracks her eye movements.

The £17,000 MyTobii Smartbox machine from Sweden detects which icons Elke is looking at by using tiny lasers.

When her eyes settle on an icon on the screen of the Smartbox, a pre-programmed voice speaks the word or phrase for her.

Just a few days after setting up the equipment, Elke's parents, Glynnis and Matt Wisbey, described how their daughter started using her eyes to repeat the words 'I love you' over and over again.

Mrs. Wisbey, 43, who also has a son, Galahad, aged nine, said: 'I thought it was stuck and then I realised what she was saying.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,102 • Replies: 0
No top replies