Join Us Here Tuesday Night!

firefly

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:25 am
@msolga,
McCain's speech was excellent. It went beyond being gracious in a purely perfunctory manner. I hope that he will continue to urge his supporters to offer our newly elected president their support and trust. McCain ended his campaign with great class and dignity.
McTag

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:43 am
@firefly,

I, too, am looking forward to Governor Palin's future service to Alaska.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Ticomaya wrote:

Was a good concession speech by McCain, I thought. Not many dry eyes near me, I can tell you.

A great one.

Cycloptichorn

I kind of felt like he was relived in a way. Not to say that he didn't want it, he teared up, and it was genuine. I just kind of felt like the race was really hard on him, and was tired. I think he deserves a nice vacation after the special session is over.

T
K
O
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:49 am
@Diest TKO,
BTW, the scene here in DC was insane. My sister, her friend and I jumped in my car after Obama's speech and drove to the Lincoln memorial. Very powerful. We walked to the White House, and while it was powerful for me at 25, I think it was even more powerful for my sister at 20 to see all the young faces smiling jumping up and down, singing with joy. Many great pictures to come.

T
K
O
JPB

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:11 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

nimh wrote:
And a very gracious, brave concession speech it was. Odd how he seemed to sometimes have to fight down the crowd in front of him, which didnt quite seem to share his sensibility.

Yes, very true, nimh. Lots of unhappy McCain supporters in the crowd. Many unwilling to be as gracious as McCain.

John McCain is an exceptional person, as he demonstrated this evening. His concession speech was broadcast live to the crowd in Chicago at Grant Park where an estimated 200,000 people listened with respect and gratitude to Senator McCain's words.

I was in the middle of that crowd and I've been a long supporter of John McCain. My respect for him continues, particularly in light of his words this evening. John McCain was well applauded during and after his speech with a single key exception -- when he spoke of Sarah Palin. I'll leave that there...

My experience tonight was long, tiring, and electrifying. I arrived downtown around 6:00, met K at her dorm shortly thereafter, took her out for a quick pizza dinner and then found my place in the very, very, very long line to enter the park around 7:30. We made fast friends with all around us because Mr B was texting EV updates to my cell phone as the numbers came in.

We entered Grant Park around 9:30 and worked our way down towards the "bowl" by 9:45. We started swimming the crowd - picking a spot here, seeing an open spot then, getting closer and closer. We hit paydirt in a perfect location about 9:55. CNN was broadcasting live on large screens and just a few minutes later Wolf Blizter announced that Virginia was going to Obama and the crowd went crazy!!! We'd heard about Pennsylvania and Ohio while standing in line. Words of joy to be sure but nothing compared to the addition of Virginia while standing in the middle of that crowd.

Then, just two minutes later the polls closed on the west coast and they proclaimed Obama the President Elect of the United States of America. I am seldom without words... actually, there were no words.... just shouts, screams, tears, prayers, hugs all around... a moment to be treasured and treasure it I will. So will K. She thanked me a dozen times for bringing her to this rally. She cried at the invocation, she applauded John McCain (while booing SP), and she cried again during Obama's speech.

I haven't seen the press reports of the demeanor of Chicagoans at tonight's rally, but I saw nothing but young, old, black, white, christian, hindu, muslim, atheist, agnostic, singing, cheering, happy people. I was proud to be there tonight. I was proud of Barack Obama. I was proud of John McCain. I was proud of the participants from all over Chicagoland. And, I was proud to be an American.
McTag

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:07 am
@JPB,

Mr McCain's speech was truly exceptional, statesmanlike, and sincere. And unifying.

He deserves admiration and thanks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:47 am
@Diest TKO,
Cool.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:28 am
Thanks for your stories, Diest and JPB (and msolga too, that was cool). I look forward to your photos, Diest!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:38 am
@Ragman,
Not too bad for predictions, huh? I posted this a few days ago:

Here are my predictions:

Popular vote
Obama about 2.5% - 3.5%

Electoral vote
Obama 300-330
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:39 am
@JPB,
Great story JPB.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:22 am
This is a good day, and I'm glad we're all friends. No matter who any of us supported.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:25 am
@JPB,
Love that story, JPB. Thanks for sharing it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:26 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead
Quote:
I'm 'spectin a checkin from JPB and #1 daughter shortly, I will update as I can y'all...

(woohoo the good guys)

Rock and JPB?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:29 am
@squinney,
Her daughter, I am wisely without offspring...

We are sports co-owners, and mutual weather heads.

(that rumor is so old news... Rolling Eyes )

and I fell asleep before the call came in.

Embarrassed
squinney

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:42 am
@Rockhead,
Ahh. Thank you. I thought I had missed something really big.

Unfortunately, it was YOU that did. Smile

It was a great moment. I'm sure all of us will work to keep you awake for the next 4 years.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:52 am
@squinney,
I'm just glad I can stop planning to move to Canada...
Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:03 am
One piece of seriously bad news: California sacks its new gay marriage rights.

The Wall Street Journal wrote:
Proposition 8, which would establish marriage as a union between a man and a woman, passed with 52.1% of the vote, against 47.9% opposed, with 94.6% of precincts reporting. The approval marks a stunning upset in a $70 million campaign that just weeks ago looked to be running in favor of preserving gay marriage rights.

Source: Wall Street Journal
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:03 am
@Rockhead,
I don't think you want to move that close to Alaska -- McPalin will be out there trigger happy to shoot a moose.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:04 am
@Thomas,
That's going to end up back in the courts and any justice voting for it to be upheld is an anti-constitutional nut case.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:09 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

One piece of seriously bad news: California sacks its new gay marriage rights.

The Wall Street Journal wrote:
Proposition 8, which would establish marriage as a union between a man and a woman, passed with 52.1% of the vote, against 47.9% opposed, with 94.6% of precincts reporting. The approval marks a stunning upset in a $70 million campaign that just weeks ago looked to be running in favor of preserving gay marriage rights.

Source: Wall Street Journal

That is so so sad. I would have hoped for a different outcome, especially
in more than tolerant California. The churches, where lots of voting booths
were held up, had everywhere huge signs with "Vote YES on 8" which I found so inappropriate. They interviewed many gay couples last night here in town and it was disheartening to hear them talk of their disappointment. Sad!