Raymond Burr (Perry Mason) was gay?

RexRed

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 09:26 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Burr

Personal life
Burr's parents, William and Minerva, remarried in 1955 after 33 years of separation. Burr had remained close to them, both during their separation and after their second marriage.

Raymond Burr was gay, but hid his sexuality for most of his life out of fear that it would damage his career.[6] He had a 35-year romantic relationship with Robert Benevides (born 1930), a young actor and Korean war veteran whom Burr had met on the set of Perry Mason.[7] For several years in the 1950s, according to an excerpt from Hiding in Plain Sight, a 2008 biography of Burr written by Michael Starr, another young Korean War veteran named Frank Vitti shared Burr's home and was identified in some publications as his nephew.

For most of his life, however, the public believed that Burr was heterosexual. In the late 1950s, Burr was rumored to be romantically involved with the young Natalie Wood. "When I was talking to Dennis Hopper about that," Wood biographer Suzanne Finstad says, "he was saying, I just can't wrap my mind around that one. But you know, I saw them together. They were definitely a couple. Who knows what was going on there?".

Burr's official biography claimed that he had been married three times but that two of his wives and his only child had died. In 1942, while working in London, he claimed to have met an aspiring Scottish actress named "Annette Sutherland" and to have married her the same year. The official biography goes on to claim that, despite protests from him, Sutherland had insisted on fulfilling her acting contract and traveled to Spain with a touring theatre company. She then boarded a flight from Lisbon to London BOAC Flight 777-A, perishing on the same flight as English actor Leslie Howard. However, Burr's biographer Ona L. Hill writes that “no one by the name of "Annette Sutherland Burr" was listed as a passenger on the plane”. In fact, only one of Burr's wives, Isabella Ward, can actually be documented (they were married in 1947 and divorced in 1952; reports of the marriage having been annulled are untrue). The other "wives" appear to have never existed (Sutherland was said to be a British actress, yet British Equity has no record of anyone by that name). The same goes for Burr's "son," who is said to have died from an incurable disease sometime in the 1950s. There is no record anywhere of his birth, existence or death. IMDB states that his spouse was Ward, Isabella (1947 - 1952) (divorced).

In the mid-1950s, Burr met former actor Robert Benevides (sometimes Benevedes). Benevides, who is credited as production consultant in 21 Perry Mason TV movies, was described as Burr’s "long-time companion" in a 1993 TV Guide article.[8] Together the couple owned and operated first an orchid business, then a vineyard,[9] in the Dry Creek Valley. After Burr died, his niece Minerva began a public feud with Benevides, questioning whether he should have been given the bulk of Burr's estate. Benevides remains the proprietor of the Raymond Burr Vineyards, located at 8339 West Dry Creek Road, Healdsburg, California.

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 09:33 pm
Old news.
RexRed

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 09:34 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
Old news.

Not to me Smile
kuvasz

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 09:54 pm
@RexRed,
Yes. Burr was gay.

True story

There was an old abuzzard who many of us know, who wrote for Mchales Navy, Lassie, Bewitched, and Gilligan's Island, he also was the NBC creative director of comedy in the middle to late 60's, He started to get bored with the LA rat race and one day after he had enjoyed a really good joint he walked into a creative development meeting where the writers and producers of Ironsides were casting about ideas to increase the ratings of the popular show. After listening to a bunch of crazy stuff our dear friend silenced the group by recommending that Raymond Burr marry, his black, male assistant on the show. Since Burr was still in the closet to the general public, the suggestion was met with dead silence, except for the laughter of our dear friend.

He left hollywood that day to start a new and lucrative business in selling books about growing plants and vegetarian cookbooks .
JTT

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:13 pm
@RexRed,
I hope that this gives you the strength to come out of the closet yourself, Rex.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:24 pm
Big Burley Burr was gay??? All the years he was alive I fantasized about going out for a beer with him, watch the game and talk about chicks.

In other words, SO WHAT???
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:47 pm
@RexRed,
Very, very old news. To bad for Della I guess.
dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:56 pm
@TilleyWink,
Cool.

So sad he had to hide it.
TilleyWink

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 11:26 pm
@dlowan,
I agee dlowan just like Rock Hudson. Why oh why are so many great looking guys gay.
dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 01:14 am
@TilleyWink,
TilleyWink wrote:

I agee dlowan just like Rock Hudson. Why oh why are so many great looking guys gay.

Erm...I don't give a brass razoo abut great looking guys being gay (friends are just as great, over the long haul, as lovers) but that they have had to creep around and hide because of cretinous prejudice and incomprehensible hatred.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:07 am
@kuvasz,
Quote:
growing plants and vegetarian cookbooks

How do you grow a vegetarian cookbook?
margo

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:13 am
@Mr Stillwater,
well - you have to be really careful what you feed it
Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:15 am
@margo,
Hiya Margo... just cruising the forums. Making trouble...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:51 am
@RexRed,
What purpose is served by blackening
the memory of Raymond Burr ?
kuvasz

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:59 am
@Mr Stillwater,
you have to buy the book?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 07:05 am
@RexRed,
Apparently Ironside's flamingly gay wheelchair had a quick release seat.

http://www.freeringtonesfyi.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/ironside-raymond-burr.jpg
flyboy804

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 07:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Blackened in the minds of homophobes, perhaps. (Not referring to you, David).
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 10:31 am
I think that Burr being gay did not blacken his memory but it enhances it. Because he pulled it off, with such awe, grace and talent and he seemed to make people quake in their shoes. He broke presupposed inherited stereotypes of gays being weak, strictly effeminate, immoral, sick people and changed them into being a firm, ethical. Burr was a strong ideal of a unique personality and character.

I heard Raymond once remarked to one of his closest female friends something to the effect that, "I at least have seen my sunsets with the person I really love". His female friend did not understand what he meant till many years later.

I think perhaps Raymond Burr is one of the most outstanding homosexual role models of our time.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 10:59 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Re: TilleyWink (Post 3452851)
TilleyWink wrote:

Erm...I don't give a brass razoo abut great looking guys being gay (friends are just as great, over the long haul, as lovers) but that they have had to creep around and hide because of cretinous prejudice and incomprehensible hatred.

You speak as if the hatred for homosexuality has ended?
kuvasz

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 11:16 am
@cjhsa,
wow guy, is that you testing out your new urethra sound on your bunkmate?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Raymond Burr (Perry Mason) was gay?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 01:04:14