where is the look of A2K?

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:08 pm
Hi everybody, is this gonna last long? I miss the old look of the forum.

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:14 pm
@navigator,
keep looking ... ...

http://chinabioex.live.subhub.com/custom/BM016_Spyglass_380x252.JPG

i've put my spygkass down for the time being ... can't hold it up anymore !
hbg

(the spyglass , i mean !!!)

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:49 pm
@navigator,
Are there any archives?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Letty

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 01:17 pm
@navigator,
Hey, navigator, as hbg (in his own humorous way) says; Keep looking. Welcome back, honey.
hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 01:40 pm
@Letty,
hi letty !

here is an appropriate youtube comment :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STIoRfyG2Cw
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 03:44 pm
@navigator,
http://blog.able2know.org/
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 04:56 pm
I was kvetching on another thread that A2K is slowly slipping into a member "newsclip service" Im beginning to notice that people are just posting clips with little or no comment, and its damn impossible to draw them out for their very clips. Thats Booooring and I can get **** like that by reading the banners on the morning news.

If we post a clip, we should also spend time with a comment or thought from our own personal heads. Otherwise hell, I can google up stories about Palin or Biden or just about any news topic. That, more than format, will drive me away to look for another board.
roger

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:19 pm
@farmerman,
What? Some post no comment, and no text. A link, like I've got time to follow every link everyone with the price of a membership wants to paste.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:24 pm
@farmerman,
Thumbs up on that post, farmer. But that's something that the A2K administration can't do much about without resorting to some sort of censorship. We need to educate the membership on proper posts. The cut-and-paste urge is, apparently, strong.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:44 pm
@Merry Andrew,
cut and paste is often appropriate...to stimulate discussion, to document a claim, to refute a claim made by another. what never made sense was cut and past of entire documents, often multiple back to backs posts with cut and pastes the ran into the many thousands of words. This practice has mostly ended.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:49 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Thumbs up on that post, farmer. But that's something that the A2K administration can't do much about without resorting to some sort of censorship. We need to educate the membership on proper posts. The cut-and-paste urge is, apparently, strong.

http://blog.able2know.org/2008/09/13/a-tutorial-for-formatting-articles-and-websites-to-share/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:29 pm
@roger,
I mostly agree with you and farmerman..

but back in the days I used to post land use articles, or, usually, links to them (watch out, I'm going to do that again though perhaps differently), two things were going on.
First of all, to post the articles I had read perhaps twenty or thirty or forty others myself and selected what I though might be interesting. Thus I was sort of tired as I made the post, re making some sort of smart sounding starter comment. And secondly, I didn't want to bias anyone with some mini rant by myself - I was hoping to hear comments and then contribute to the discussion.
This worked some fair part of the time, and sometimes not, when the interest wasn't there.

Mostly I already read or don't read the sites from which people do clips. But not always - so I am occasionally interested in a new source.

I am more aggravated by folks who don't give the source, very annoying.

edit to say, I often gave at least a mild personal comment, but sometimes I didn't. Never meant that as some kind of near spam.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 11:26 am
The art of art, the glory of expression
and the sunshine of the
light of letters, is simplicity.
Walt Whitman

Cut and pasted .... would retyping the words change their meaning?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 11:30 am
The question is, what happened to A2K, PERIOD.

It just doesn't seem the same, and I don't think it's because of the update.
cjhsa

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 11:33 am
@Bella Dea,
A couple things - tags and Ignore.

The fact the tags are visibly displayed and that you can ignore posters pretty much ruins the integrity of the site.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 01:33 pm
@jespah,
here is my suggestion for cutting down on waste space :
when i go to "my profile" and on to "my posts" , the first page takes up appr. 15 inches - the first 6 inches are taken up by a huge (unused ) avator etc. - 6 inches show actual entries - followed by another 6 inches of mostly unused space .
couldn't at least another 6 inches be given to the actual entries ?

imo the space alloted to the entries under "my posts' and "my topics" could also be reduced giving more useful space per page .
scrolling back would be a bit easier that way .

imo there is a little too much "breading" on the meat (sort of like buying a bucket from the colonel - more breading than meat !)
hbg
jespah

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:47 am
@hamburger,
This is space for ads.

Anyway, I don't do the coding -- Nick and Robert do. Smile
cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:31 am
@jespah,
I can just see the two of them at the office "Tag! You're it!" "No, tag, YOU'RE it!" "No..."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:36 am
@farmerman,
I was thinking that too.

As I remember, I was guilty of doing that once.
I got no responses.

In the future I intend to offer coments.
0 Replies