52 cows killed by a lightning strike

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 01:21 am
Fifty-two cows are killed after lightning hits a wire fence
Fifty-two cows were killed after lightning hit a wire fence they were grazing next to.

Quote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01014/dead_cows_1014442c.jpg

The Hereford and Normandy breed cows were discovered by the ranch manager in the field.

A veterinary expert who examined the carcases said they had been killed by lightning hitting the wire fence bordering the field where the animals were stood. The incident occurred in Valdez Chico, near Montevideo, Uruguay.

In September, 53 cattle were killed by lightning in Katosi, Uganda. They had been seeking shelter underneath trees, according to local reports.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 4,316 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 04:01 am
@Robert Gentel,
That's weird.

It looks as though they were all trying to get their heads through the fence, to the paddock next door.

Where there was no grass!

As compared with the abundant fodder in their own paddock.

Musta been aliens.

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 04:57 am

Usually we need to have a power fence to keep them from leaning. This fence looks like it was just a 3 strand barbed wire with no fence charger.Cows have an annoying damn habit of leaning on fences and sometimes the fence can give way and the cows just wander off into adjoining fields. Cows are not intelligent beings, but they often get an idea in their heads and thats that.
dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 05:25 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
and thats that.

Sure was in this case.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 06:15 am
@Robert Gentel,
Im glad I dont have to clean the mess up. HAd that been in PA, wed have to get a 26-R form from the DEP to collect and dispose of a "large carcass of livestock or other animal that had died in a manner that was not environmentally injurious nor of any Public Health significance(Then they list about 15 diseases that exclude the 26-R form and make it null and void)

SO, Id need a NOTARIZED 26-R for each of the 52 cows and then Id need to contact a renderer/animal " carcass recycler" (that is no ****).
I would have to wait several days as the recycler or renderer decides on his schedule and whether he has a need for skins etc. IN the meantime, these carcae are rotting in the noonday sun. (unless of course, we have had a convenient lightning storm in the winter, which is not a common occurence)

When the renderer/recycler decides to pick up the carcae, I must pay a fee to collect and a fee to dispose in an approved landfill or rendering plant(where the remains are cooked into a spreadable paste which is used in making several industrial products including SOAP.
I then must file the completed 26-R to my DEP office and farm county agent so they have proof that Ive done the right thing under the law (even though, had I kept my mouth shut and just bulldozed the anmals into a big pit like in the Hoof and mouth movie, nobody would be the wiser unless some asshole decided to complain)

Multiply this hassle by 52 and you can see why farmers wanna shoot the county agents who are there to "help us"
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:21 am
@farmerman,
That's a big swipe out of the herd, for anybody.
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:25 am
@edgarblythe,
Im sure the vaqueros got some cuts of meat from the dead cows.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:27 am
@farmerman,
Already barbecued. Who's got the potato salad?
0 Replies

RuffChefster

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 09:31 am
@dlowan,
wow thats crazy...interesting stuff
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 09:53 am
It's gonna take a truck to moooooooove 'em all.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 11:31 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Cows are not intelligent beings, but they often get an idea in their heads and thats that.

That's how you can tell real cowboys from the posers. If they think cows are smart, they're the real thing.
0 Replies