My online mix tapes

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 01:08 am
I found a site (http://www.mixwit.com) where you can make an online mix tape. That brings back memories of what music was like before it went digital so I gave it a try and here's my mix tape for you. Some jazz, classical, jazz samba, rock and some trance.

If you want to post yoru own mixwit mix tapes, you need to get the flashvars and add them to the swf as query string variables. If you need help let me know and I'll show you how to post them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 5,069 • Replies: 42
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 02:33 am
@Robert Gentel,
Erm...there's a mixwit logo....but, at least for me, it doesn't do anything.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 02:42 am
@dlowan,
Looks like the site is having some technical problems right now.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:16 am
Does everyone know about http://www.pandora.com?

It's a good site for finding music which matches your taste.

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
This is cool!

Love #2 in your mix. Brings back a lot of good memories.

#5 is good too. Getz is fantastic.

#7 Reminds me a lot of Ravel's Bolero.

#9 - Mmmmm, some seductive music for luring a person to read the Sunday paper in bed.

#10 Ha! So this is the wake up call after easing back under the covers.

#18 Hmm, haven't heard of Aphex Twin before. I like it. Will have to do some exploring to see what else is out there.

You have a wide-ranging, good taste in music, Robert. Your mix hints that you have a strong affinity for string instruments, as do I.

I really like this concept. It beats having to switch between internet radio stations all the time to hear a variety of good music.

Mix tapes used to be a favorite thing BBB gave to her family and friends. She had an enormous album collection from which she'd make tapes. I still have many of them, more than 25 years later and they still play well. So much for the idea of deteriorating tape being the selling point for CDs.

I wish there really was an easy, inexpensive way to transfer album/cassette tape to a computer/internet.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 02:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
What fun! thanks for the tape and the information.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 03:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
ok that was fun - now I just need to add a label

and then come back here to learn how to post my first online mixed tape! so much fun watching that cassette spool around
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 06:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
Love #2 in your mix. Brings back a lot of good memories.

I think I heard of Yo Yo Ma first from ehbeth (who I believe was talking about how attractive she found him) and thegalacticemperor lent me a cd of his and I loved that rendition.

Quote:
#7 Reminds me a lot of Ravel's Bolero.

I'm listening to it again now but it doesn't have the frenetic part of Hall of the Mountain King that I like.

Quote:
#9 - Mmmmm, some seductive music for luring a person to read the Sunday paper in bed.

I didn't find a good version of this song, but it's one of my favorites in its original version with Joao Gilberto and Astrud Gilberto singing it (Joao has the most velvety smooth voice I've ever heard, and this is the perfect kind of song for him) and this version doesn't do it justice.

Quote:
#10 Ha! So this is the wake up call after easing back under the covers.

#10 isn't playing for me now, and because some of these stop working I'm not always sure we are talking about the same song.

Quote:
#18 Hmm, haven't heard of Aphex Twin before. I like it. Will have to do some exploring to see what else is out there.

I'm very picky with music, and tend to only like a few songs from each artist. The other Aphex Twin song I like is called "Girl/Boy Song".

Quote:
You have a wide-ranging, good taste in music, Robert. Your mix hints that you have a strong affinity for string instruments, as do I.

Yup, I'm a sucker for melody and strings. You should check out "We Hide and Seek" by Alison Krauss and Union Station. It's a bunch of guys just jamming on strings.

Quote:
Mix tapes used to be a favorite thing BBB gave to her family and friends. She had an enormous album collection from which she'd make tapes. I still have many of them, more than 25 years later and they still play well. So much for the idea of deteriorating tape being the selling point for CDs.

I wish there really was an easy, inexpensive way to transfer album/cassette tape to a computer/internet.

My tapes got quieter and quieter the more I played them, you can transfer them to digital very easily but the problem to me is that they all have that annoying noise that comes with cassettes and that is much harder to get rid of. To me that was the biggest selling point to CDs, it didn't have that hiss and poor quality to the sound.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 06:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Okay, I gave it a try. I was amazed at the depth of music available. I found some that I haven't heard in a very long time. Using the web app is very easy so most should find it a fun exercise.

This tape has a classical mix with Bobby McFerrin and Yo-yo Ma; an ambient mix of Brian Eno; a folk mix with The Weavers and Holly Near; and a Jazz mix with Art Pepper, Stan Kenton, Joe Pass and a few others.

I just copied Robert's code and replaced his playlist and vuid info with mine. Let's see if it works.

Robert, #10 was the first Beatles song, can't remember which one now.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 06:36 pm
@ehBeth,
To add a label click on the label itself and type (need to try clicking and double clicking till it changes the cursor).

To post, copy the embed code and construct the flash url. It's a bit tricky with this site's embed format, so here's how to do it.

That is the base flash file running this:

http://www.mixwit.com/flash/widgets/shell.swf

The variables you need to play your mix tape are in flashvars (e.g. flashvars="env=embed&widget=1a59426ecb4dfbdbb8a4c7fa10ef13c7&playlist=b1a630174d22331d4179d86e755d94b9&vuid=embed").

So you add a ? to the base flash file, and add the flash variables (the part inside the quotes above) after it. Like this:

http://www.mixwit.com/flash/widgets/shell.swf?env=embed&widget=1a59426ecb4dfbdbb8a4c7fa10ef13c7&playlist=b1a630174d22331d4179d86e755d94b9&vuid=embed

You can test it directly in your browser url bar, and if it plays like that then you can post it with flash tags here and embed it (surround the url with flash bbcode, you can quote my first post to see how I did it).
ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm ready for this now
Robert Gentel wrote:
You can test it directly in your browser url bar

thanks for the directions
I'm definitely stepping into the wild blue yonder here

( Very Happy Yo Yo Ma - you probably ran into Piffka and me arguing over who had dibs on him for a dinner party back at Afuzz)
ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,

Hey!

Thank you, Robert.

the mix isn't quite what I was after, but it's definitely a good start. a tiny bit of adjusting and this is going to be most excellent

Thanks for the help.

(I love the Agfa tapes, throws me into the way-back machine)

I'm going to see if I can find my old 'morning after tape' and replicate it through this process.

JTT

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:21 pm
@rosborne979,
Does everyone know about http://www.pandora.com?

That's one box that you just don't want to open.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
Bobby McFerrin is pretty damn impressive. I found it a bit distracting and didn't like it till I realized where all the sound was coming from. Those are some impressive a cappella performances. It reminded me of Michael Winslow (from Police Academy) and I'll have to listen to these again sometime without the novelty factor.

The Brian Eno was interesting, I like a lot of the ambient music he inspired, and some of his songs you added that I'd never heard sounded very familiar due to the influences he's had on other artists in my library.

I'm stopping at Precious Friend by Holly Near & Ronnie Gilbert because I liked that one enough to look for it to add to my library.

Some really interesting stuff here, I'll have to come back to this. I think I may be able to find some new additions to my library (which is cool, because I tend to add only a dozen or so songs a year these days).
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:25 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
( Very Happy Yo Yo Ma - you probably ran into Piffka and me arguing over who had dibs on him for a dinner party back at Afuzz)

I didn't see it on Abuzz, but you both talked about him here on a2k on these threads:

http://able2know.org/topic/484-2
http://able2know.org/topic/1373-1
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Have you seen the new app Eno and Peter Chilvers created for the iPod/iPhone? It's called Bloom.

I heard about this from a video transcription I did from one of Apple's seminars at their developer's conference for the roll out of the new iPhone a few months ago.

NPR did a feature on it. I'll see if I can find it and post a link here.

Here you go... There is a video demo of the app so you can get an idea of what it is about.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2008/10/ive_fallen_in_love_with_an_app.html

I searched to see if it is also available as a stand alone or web app but haven't found anything yet.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
By the way, I'm using the same screen name there if you want to search for me and scan the play list.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:10 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth,

I like that version of Over the Rainbow too. Never knew who it was by, so thanks for that.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Going to follow all this - just skimmed the thread and to see Yo Yo Ma and Getz and the Gilbertos - favorites - in one place intrigues me, and I want to learn how to do that.
Thanks, Robert.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Yup, I'm a sucker for melody and strings. You should check out "We Hide and Seek" by Alison Krauss and Union Station. It's a bunch of guys just jamming on strings.

Just listened to that one. Wow! I was expecting it to be heavily countrified but wow, amazing. That's one you can watch over and over again and learn from. I usually like Alison Krauss but can't take some of the twangy stuff she does. This was a pleasant surprise.
0 Replies