H2O MAN
 
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:48 am

A question nobody has asked yet:

Can this Republic survive 4 or 8 years of Carter/Obama Economics with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid pulling the strings?
 
rabel22
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 10:56 am
@H2O MAN,
If it can survive 8 years of Bush it should be able to survive anything.
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 11:15 am
J K Galbraith has stated that, the saving thing for our economy is the fact that most other currencies are crashing.

I see that, this AM, the canadian dollar was 1.31 to the US dollar a complete reversal from earlier this year, and the Euro is tanking from an all time high.

Of course, the fact that the only things we export are scrap metal and corn, makes me a bit worried about what sort of trade balance will we enjoy.


Seems that the retired fed chairman, along with old Reagan "trickle downers" all realize that these philosophies dont work at all. I always thought that AYn Rand was ill informed.

How about all you "privatized" Socila security fans, wheres your argument today? (Especially if you were nearing retirement)
H2O MAN
 
  0  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 11:56 am
@rabel22,
Why doesn't Obama realize Jimmy Carter economics won't work?
0 Replies
 
Thomas
 
  2  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:06 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
A question nobody has asked yet:

Can this Republic survive 4 or 8 years of Carter/Obama Economics with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid pulling the strings?

Sure it can. After all, the Canadian Republic has survived several decades of even more liberal economic policies. In fact, the Canadian economy is looking comparatively strong these days. You, on the other hand, appear to think the American Republic may not survive eight years of liberalism. In other words, you seem to think America is weak. Why do you hate America, H2O MAN?
H2O MAN
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:39 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
You, on the other hand, appear to think the American Republic may not survive eight years of liberalism. In other words, you seem to think America is weak. Why do you hate America, H2O MAN?


Why do you cite Canadian politics and then make personal attacks, Thomas?
Is it because you understand Carter/Obama Economics will bankrupt this country?
roger
 
  2  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:44 pm
@H2O MAN,
If you think you've just been attacked, maybe you're wrong about the rest. Anyway, I hope so.
hawkeye10
 
  0  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:44 pm
America's financial system is firmly tied into the rest of the worlds, and America no longer runs the global financial system...that ended with the credit market failure of 2008, and the subsequent deep recession/depression (yet to be determined). Neither a President Obama nor a President McCain has much authority over economics.
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:48 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

If you think you've just been attacked, maybe you're wrong about the rest. Anyway, I hope so.


It is Thomas that is wrong about his claims.
roger
 
  0  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

roger wrote:

If you think you've just been attacked, maybe you're wrong about the rest. Anyway, I hope so.


It is Thomas that is wrong about his claims.


You could well be right. I was speaking of your claim of personal attack.
H2O MAN
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 01:25 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
I was speaking of your claim of personal attack.


That's really between Thomas and myself.

Survival of 4 or 8 years of Carter/Obama Economics is the topic at hand.

You can't raise taxes while expanding spending programs and expect the economic situation to improve.
0 Replies
 
Thomas
 
  3  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 02:21 pm
@H2O MAN,
The last sentence of my post wasn't meant as a personal attack, it was sarcasm.

The beginning of my post is a simple statement of fact, and I stand by it: Canada has for decades been pursuing more liberal economic policies than the ones Obama is proposing. (So has the rest of the industrialized world, but I picked out Canada because its general culture, unlike the rest of the world's, is very similar to America's.) Canada has been doing just fine under those liberal economic policies. There is no reason to think that America wouldn't. You may or may not like the Democrats' economic platform; but if you sincerely think it's a matter of survival for the American economy, you have some explaining to do.

High Seas
 
  0  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 02:46 pm
@farmerman,
Ken Galbraith said that from the next world, where he's been residing for the past several years?

Hey, F-man, I didn't know you're a medium!
0 Replies
 
High Seas
 
  0  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 02:47 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas - not so. Besides, for the second election running, the conservatives were elected in Canada. See you Smile
H2O MAN
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:12 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
You may or may not like the Democrats' economic platform; but if you sincerely think it's a matter of survival for the American economy, you have some explaining to do.




No.

It is you and Obama that will have some explaining to do when the proverbial Obama hits the fan.
0 Replies
 
Thomas
 
  2  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:13 pm
@High Seas,
What fraction of the Canadian GDP is the Canadian government spending under the conservatives? Higher than America would under Obama? Have the Canadian conservatives abolished universal healthcare, whose introduction is the biggest plank on Obama's economic platform? If the answer to these questions is "no", then Canada, even under Conservative rules, has more liberal economic policies than America, even under Democratic rule.
H2O MAN
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:29 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

What fraction of the Canadian GDP is the Canadian government spending under the conservatives? Higher than America would under Obama? Have the Canadian conservatives abolished universal healthcare, whose introduction is the biggest plank on Obama's economic platform? If the answer to these questions is "no", then Canada, even under Conservative rules, has more liberal economic policies than America, even under Democratic rule.


Why do you hate Canada so much?
Thomas
 
  2  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:35 pm
@H2O MAN,
I don't -- but as you say, it's not the issue. The issue is whether America and its residents can survive eight years of economic policies that are more liberal than they are now, yet still more conservative/libertarian than the ones Canada has survived for decades.

On that issue, the answer is loud and clear: "Yes we can" -- because we've seen the Canadians survive, even thrive under, theirs.
0 Replies
 
blatham
 
  2  
Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 04:04 pm
Say it with us, H2OMAN..."Yes we can"

Farmerdude was referring to son Jamie, naughty girl.

Re Canada, land that I love, home of my fourbears (ya gotcher black, yer brown...), the very bosom of all that is good and noble in the world, the greatest nation in the history of mammals... it's true that a conservative government has succeeded in the last two elections (both minority governments) but that has to be seen in the context of the multi-party nature of things up there in God's Acre (we're like way bigger than the US too, let's note) with the Liberal party being left-center and the NDP being further left (and then there's the BQ, of course) so if one adds up the vote for Libs and NDP you get a majority of Canadians voting left rather than right.

And then there's that bit of history where the prior conservative party (Progressive Conservatives) which had, along with the Lib Party, dominated Canadian politics for a couple of hundred years, became so utterly detested after the Brian Mulroney period (he was buddies with Reagan and Thatcher) that the party completely disappeared as a political entity after 1993 (cue sad bugle and cheering canadians)

And yuppers, we have nationalized medical care and no party has dared to forward a policy of dismantling it because they are well aware that Canadians simply would not let such a policy get an eighth of an inch towards implementation (odd how that is so in all countries that have nationalized medical programs).
H2O MAN
 
  0  
Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 05:43 am
@blatham,
4 or god forbid, 8 years of Obama's economic policy will equal 4 or 8 years of deep recession.
The Obama years will be far worse that the Bush years and could easily thrust our country into a depression.

Many Americans will be begging for change under Obama's rule...
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Political Economics
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 03/24/2019 at 03:12:33