HUMAN SPECIES MAY SPLIT IN TWO

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:29 pm
not for me to worry about , i think , but humanity will apparently split in two sometime down the road .
i do wonder to which class i would be asssigned ?
perhaps i'm so unique that i would be a distinct sub-species ? Wink

for full article :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6057734.stm

Quote:
Human species 'may split in two'

Humanity may split into an elite and an underclass, says Dr Curry
Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said.
Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge.

The human race would peak in the year 3000, he said - before a decline due to dependence on technology.

People would become choosier about their sexual partners, causing humanity to divide into sub-species, he added.

for illustration only ! NOT AN ACTUAL PHOTO !

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42207000/jpg/_42207552_evolution4.jpg

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 6,551 • Replies: 11
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:33 pm
@hamburger,
Mm hmm. Okey dokey. As long as I get my Lone Star beer and three squares, I don't keer.
hamburger

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 07:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
looks like the BBC is a little late with the story .
it was reported in "live science" on oct 27 , 2006 !
some BBC journalist must have been desparate to fill the pages - or had a bit much of the tipple .

http://www.livescience.com/technology/061027_genetic_class.html

Quote:
As reported in a variety of rambling articles in what some refer to as "London tube rags," Curry believes that the near-term descendants of the genetic upper class will be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent and creative.

"Underclass" human beings will have devolved into dim-witted, short, goblin-like creatures.

Further down the road, upper class humans will pay a price for reliance on technology. Spoiled by technology that will do everything for them, humans could come to resemble "domesticated animals."

http://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/oct2006/human_01.jpg

the cartoon is the best part imo .

i think the BBC "laid an egg" . Drunk
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 08:16 pm
@hamburger,
Quote:
Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge.

Old news: they call the down side of that one "democrats".
JTT

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 08:31 pm
@gungasnake,
Which is, as you've told us, what you were. The future is here; given the "quality" of your postings, it's apparent that this split has occurred already. You can call yourself whatever you want politically, Gunga, but you're clearly of the dim-witted underclass.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 09:39 pm
@hamburger,
Will this include those folks with split personalities as well?

Will that make four?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:31 am
I'm already highly advanced. I have the deep voice, square jaw, athletic build and huge penis.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:50 am
@hamburger,
I think the separation event has already happened when you examine the beliefs of the Republican right-wing religious movement.

BBB
NickFun

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 10:03 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
They don't believe in evolution BBB. I suspect God will kill them all off in time also.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 11:19 am
@hamburger,

ref. H G Wells, "The Time Machine"

Prescient.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 02:39 pm
@hamburger,
Quote:
Social skills, such as communicating and interacting with others, could be lost, along with emotions such as love, sympathy, trust and respect. People would become less able to care for others, or perform in teams.

Physically, they would start to appear more juvenile. Chins would recede, as a result of having to chew less on processed food.

There could also be health problems caused by reliance on medicine, resulting in weak immune systems. Preventing deaths would also help to preserve the genetic defects that cause cancer.

Further into the future, sexual selection - being choosy about one's partner - was likely to create more and more genetic inequality, said Dr Curry.

The logical outcome would be two sub-species, "gracile" and "robust" humans similar to the Eloi and Morlocks foretold by HG Wells in his 1895 novel The Time Machine.

The whole idea seems self-contradictory. If technology makes the less fit and intelligent just as able to survive and reproduce as the more fit and intelligent, why should those traits be favored when selecting mates?

Far from producing two races-one fit and intelligent, one unfit and dim-it seems to me that those traits won't be selected for at all.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 06:12 pm
Quote:
HUMAN SPECIES MAY SPLIT IN TWO

Then again, it may not.
0 Replies