I'm white, so are you....or not.

Jenifer Johnson

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:27 pm
@High Seas,
The dichotomy is built into the label of distinction. In order to represent a uniquely distinct individual, the label would have to be a number.

How many Jenifer Johnsons are there in the world, that have no relationship to who I am.
chai2

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:39 pm
@Jenifer Johnson,
A bunch.

In fact, there are 11,531 people named Jennifer Johnson in the united states.

http://howmanyofme.com/search/
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:48 pm
@Jenifer Johnson,
Jenifer Johnson wrote:

The dichotomy is built into the label of distinction. In order to represent a uniquely distinct individual, the label would have to be a number.

How many Jenifer Johnsons are there in the world, that have no relationship to who I am.
hard to say, your profile is blank.
talk72000

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 04:05 pm
@chai2,
The first picture is of French actress Catherine Deneuve. The second seems more like a picture of an Indian model. Indians are Aryans.

Spanish America seems less race conscious as the Spanish conquisitors often married natives women as there were no Spanish women in those ships to the new world. Therefore, there is a blend of blood mixtures as blacks were later introduced into the European sugar and coffee plantations. Also, Indians were brought as indentured labor to British possessions overseas. Chinese laborers entered for economic reasons British possessions such as India, Malaya, Jamaica, etc.
Mame

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 04:27 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Jenifer Johnson wrote:

hard to say, your profile is blank.

HA HA HA HA HA
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 05:53 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
The funny thing is that in the US we're called "Caucasian", while in all of Europe (including Russia) the peoples of the Caucasus are considered "colored", like everybody else in the Near East (Turkey, Caucasus, Middle East).

Well, Blumenbach thought the people of those mountains were the most beautiful race of men. I suppose he wanted to be counted on the beautiful side as well. It's interesting that ideas of race have a premise on something as subjective as aesthetics.
Intrepid

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:49 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

uh.....no, not at all insecure intrepid.....sorry to burst your bubble.

Glad to here that the insecurity only came across in the post and is not a reality. My bubble isn't burst. It is not that I took pleasure of any kind in pointing out what appeared to be obvious by the exchanges that I read.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:56 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:

I can tell you what we don't have - and that was my point initially: we don't
have government forms, school and employment applications that require
for the applicant to write down the color of their skin. This is in my opinion
unique to the United States and until the U.S. has done away with it, color
will always be an issue.

Yeah, our forms ask for nationality, too (ancestry), not colour.

What forms would these be, Mame? It is illegal to ask for birthplace, nationality, ancestry, or place of origin in Canada.
talk72000

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 01:18 am
@Intrepid,
Statscan forms.
Intrepid

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 06:25 pm
@talk72000,
Do you mean the census?
talk72000

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:14 pm
@Intrepid,
Ja!
0 Replies

High Seas

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 01:39 pm
@InfraBlue,
Infrablue - hardly a matter of aesthetics. More a matter of survival, since in all fair-skinned people darkening skin means horrible mutilation or death. Gangrene, it's called, can be caused by infections, frostbite, lots of other diseases. Read "The Snows of Killimanjaro" sometime.
High Seas

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 01:42 pm
@talk72000,
Indians are "Aryans"? Well Benazir Bhutto was Sindhi, and she was fairly light-skinned. These are the same peoples who wandered into Europe (presumably being chased by their fellow tribes of the Indian subcontinent) centuries ago, and became known as "gypsies". Their DNA runs clear "Indian subcontinent" more than 12 centuries later - those who survived the assorted persecutions, that is.
0 Replies

alrashedeen army

Wed 29 Oct, 2008 07:23 pm
@Merry Andrew,
!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:31 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
Infrablue - hardly a matter of aesthetics. More a matter of survival, since in all fair-skinned people darkening skin means horrible mutilation or death. Gangrene, it's called, can be caused by infections, frostbite, lots of other diseases. Read "The Snows of Killimanjaro" sometime.

m-hmm. . .

It was Johann Friedrich Blumenbach that first coined the terms for racial classification in his book, On the Natural Varieties of Mankind (1776): the Caucasian race or white race; the Mongolian or yellow race; the Malayan or brown race; the Negroid, or black race; and the American or red race.

About the Caucasian race he wrote:
Caucasian variety - I have taken the name of this variety from Mount Caucasus, both because its neighborhood, and especially its southern slope, produces the most beautiful race of men, I mean the Georgian; and because all physiological reasons converge to this, that in that region, if anywhere, it seems we ought with the greatest probability to place the autochthones (birth place) of mankind.

"The Snows of Kilimanjaro," good story. I read it in my copy of The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway.
0 Replies

carolgreen145

Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:41 pm
@Merry Andrew,
The United States is somewhat different from other parts of the world,
Ragman

Fri 3 Aug, 2012 08:08 pm
@carolgreen145,
You might want to check the date as this is a very old thread...almost 4 yrs old.
0 Replies

stevefrank

Sat 25 Aug, 2012 06:28 am
@chai2,
nobody is black and nobody is white in the world.
0 Replies