You kids get off my lawn! Oops

Always Eleven to him

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 05:56 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Quote:
take comic books as in take them for a day or even a semester so that learning can go on. There are conflicting "rights" going on. Is there a right to be disruptive in a class while others are trying to learn?

And the teacher takes the comic book because comic books in class are probably banned. :-)

I've seen my share of students surfing CNN, poker sites, sending instant messages, etc. during class. That's why some profs are thinking about banning laptops in class.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 06:53 pm
@Always Eleven to him,
Quote:

And the teacher takes the comic book because comic books in class are probably banned. :-)

I've seen my share of students surfing CNN, poker sites,
sending instant messages, etc. during class. That's why some profs
are thinking about banning laptops in class.

The students are paying customers,
buying the information that the professors explain n deliver.
If the customer is not fully paying attention
to the delivery of the information,
that does not authorize the deliveryman to commit robbery,
stealing the customer 's electronic device.

Suppose the student orders pizza.
When the deliveryman arrives with the pizza,
if the customer is too busy surfing CNN
to pay attention to the pizza, the deliveryboy
does not have a right to steal the customer 's laptop computer.

Is there a distinction in principle ?
So far as I know, robbery is a felony everywhere in the state,
not excluding classrooms, and professors are not immune. Tell me if I am rong.

How well the reluctant student will fare on a test,
is another matter.

David
Always Eleven to him

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ummm . . . I didn't say that the profs were going to confiscate the devices, just ban them from the classroom.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:58 pm
@Always Eleven to him,
Quote:

I didn't say that the profs were going to confiscate the devices,
just ban them from the classroom.

I see.
Hence, it is a matter of interpreting the contract between
student and college, qua bringing in computers.

The rule of reason ?

David
bathsheba

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 11:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I am reminded of a similar situation when I was a kid. The neighbor kids would always manage to throw their football over our fence. They did it on purpose. We all had over an acre on each property so it wasn't like they didn't have space. After a few years of this bulls*it, and my mom giving them permission to come & get their stupid ball, the crap hit the fan one day when my dad happened to be around when the ball came flying over the fence. He kept the ball. The kids called the sheriff. My dad said we'd get 'em legally and put a stop to their nonsense. The sheriff said dad could keep the ball since it was on our property. Sheriff also talked to said kids. We never had a problem again.

So the message nowadays is to teach kids....what? If the ball landed in this older lady's OWN yard she had every right to keep it, and I'll bet these kids are little brats with no respect for anyone. And I bet this wasn't the first time they have annoyed her with their ball antics. They'll grow up to be fine citizens from the lessons they are learning, I'm afraid.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 04:37 am
@bathsheba,
Quote:

I am reminded of a similar situation when I was a kid. The neighbor kids would always manage to throw their football over our fence. They did it on purpose. We all had over an acre on each property so it wasn't like they didn't have space. After a few years of this bulls*it, and my mom giving them permission to come & get their stupid ball, the crap hit the fan one day when my dad happened to be around when the ball came flying over the fence. He kept the ball. The kids called the sheriff. My dad said we'd get 'em legally and put a stop to their nonsense. The sheriff said dad could keep the ball since it was on our property. Sheriff also talked to said kids. We never had a problem again.

So the message nowadays is to teach kids....what? If the ball landed in this older lady's OWN yard she had every right to keep it, and I'll bet these kids are little brats with no respect for anyone. And I bet this wasn't the first time they have annoyed her with their ball antics. They'll grow up to be fine citizens from the lessons they are learning, I'm afraid.

Well, with all respect to u and to your father,
I don 't think that sheriff was much of a lawyer.

I am not aware of any theory of property law by which
title to a ball changes from one neighbor to another
because of an accidental fall over a fence.

If he accidentally dropped his wallet or his eyeglasses
over the fence, woud u still have the same opinion ?
If the ball hit something, in flight, (not a concept that I like,
since I am flying in 3 hours) then a cause of action in negligence
might arise.

Not that it matters much,
but over the decades, I had neighboring kids accidentally
throw balls over my fence. I just threw them back,
when I saw them lying there.

David
jespah

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:44 am
Update: Charges were dropped.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 11:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Huh?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 11:04 am
@OmSigDAVID,
But if it is affected other students who are also paying customers... who rights superseed
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 11:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
When it becomes an issue is when the kids are doing the ball-tossing on purpose. These kids used to break into our house so if you get my drift they were not angels and my dad was tired of their stupid games. They were notorious in the neighborhood for theft. This was way back in the 60's, so times were different back then in the dark, dark ages. Knowing their history as the sheriff did I'm sure he felt right was on my dad's side. Possession is 9/10 of the law, or at least it used to be in the States. Not sure these days Smile. It would take some deft or daft manuvering to hoist your wallet or personal belongings over someone's fence, don't you think?
0 Replies