You kids get off my lawn! Oops

jespah

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:48 am
CNN reports that an elderly woman was arrested for confiscating a kid's football and not giving it back. The charge was petty theft.

What the heck is this world coming to if curmudgeons can't operate in safety and freedom?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,558 • Replies: 49
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:55 am
@jespah,
Does confiscating = robbery ?
Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:57 am
@jespah,
Sh*t - I wish I knew this as a kid - I had a neighbor like that - he would even destroy our balls and stuff.

That's ok - we had our ways of getting him back.
jespah

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Does confiscating = robbery ?

I would think it would be more of a civil bailment than almost anything else. I wonder if this means that now teachers can't take comic books any more.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:17 am
Hmmm. Storage facilities where impounded automobiles are towed can keep those automobiles until the requisite storage charges are paid. Eventually, if the the charges aren't paid, they will exceed the value of the automobile and the storage facility then owns the automobile.

The arrest of this women for refusing to relinquish a football left on her property is ridiculous and she should be able to sue for having her rights violated. She should relinquish the football, however, AFTER an appropriate storage fee is paid by the owner of the football. A few reasonable storage fees and I bet the kids would be a lot more careful where that ball goes.

(In truth she might be an angry, hateful old biddy or the kids might be a genuine public nusiance. There's no way to tell which is which with the limited information we have, but the higher principle involved here is the right of somebody to be able to control their own property.)
ebrown p

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:45 am
The old woman should have shot the kids. That (evidently) is not a crime.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:50 am
This is a joke, right?

This old lady is a bully.

Having a football fall in your yard doesn't hurt you a bit. There is no reason for her to do anything-- if she yelled at them, she would be within her rights... but you don't get to take other peoples stuff.

The really stupid part of this story is that the old lady defied the police.The police officers told her to give the ball back, and she refused. It was only after this that they arrested her.

Old people are always talking about how in their day people had grace and manners and respect for authority..... yeah right this old biddy is nothing more than a petty thief.

jespah

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:47 pm
Look, I don't love it when a ball lands in my yard, particularly when it almost takes out a window. And I can see holding it for a while, maybe until the kids' parents get home, but definitely not to keep it, although at the same time I also won't risk life and limb if it's stuck on my roof. But to not relinquish it to the cops is just, oy, it's weird. What an odd 'principle' to stand up for. Yeesh.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 01:08 pm
@ebrown p,
I can also understand she may not want them trampling through her yard (probably through her priced rose brush or some such thing) - to me a compromise would be - if your ball comes in my yard, I will throw it back when I get a chance, but please do not trespass.

That way they try not to get it in her yard, but come on, they are kids and you can't always control the ball - and as long as they are not coming near the house, what the heck is a ball in her yard going to do.

Also, if she continues to act like an old fart, she will be the main target come times like Halloween.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 02:43 pm
Maybe she has a prized flower she needs to protect, like this "corpse flower"

http://www.cbsnews.com/images/2006/08/08/image7c970bb5-e8ea-4182-9455-477676eb262a.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:00 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:

I had a neighbor like that -
he would even destroy our balls and stuff.

Wow; that must hurt.
Was he a Moslem ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:06 pm
@jespah,
Quote:

I would think it would be more of a civil bailment
than almost anything else.

I c; a bailment for the sole benefit of the bailee;
is there any element of free volition in the bailor ?

Quote:

I wonder if this means that now teachers can't take comic books any more.

I guess that ranks with students taking the teachers' purses,
or their cars from the parking lot.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:08 pm
@jespah,
Years ago, we had a couple of kids as out next door neighbors. They thought nothing of riding their tricycles across our lawn. Later on, they would play ball right across our lawn.

We spoke nicely to the parents, who thought that there was nothing wrong with their kids using our lawn as a ball field. Ultimately we planted a row of hedges at the edge of our lawn, and that solved the problem.
JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:11 pm
@Phoenix32890,
You should have just kept the tricycles and the kids, Phoenix. Back in the good ole days you could do that sort of thing when neighbour kids pissed you off.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:14 pm
@JTT,
No problem with the tricycles, the parents could have their brats, with my blessing!
Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:42 pm
@Phoenix32890,
What happened to the good old days when kids were terrified of angry adults?

Now they back mouth you all the time and pretty much dare you do anything about it. Now that you mention it, the old bat should have kept the football!
NickFun

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:59 pm
Keep in mind, in Texas it's OK to kill kids if they try to steal snacks. Check that one out at http://www.welt.de/english-news/article2503826/Boy-killed-when-caught-stealing-snacks.html

Is there a problem with our legal system or is it just me???
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 04:17 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:

Storage facilities where impounded automobiles are towed
can keep those automobiles until the requisite storage charges are paid.
Eventually, if the the charges aren't paid, they will exceed
the value of the automobile and the storage facility then owns the automobile.

Y, O, Y do we afflict ourselves with this ?

WHOSE side are we ON, here ? Our own side,
or on the side of our (fictional) creation, government ?
WE, the citizens CREATED government.
We shoud make the damned thing get down on its (fictional) knees and kiss our feet.
WE own the damned thing. Are we all masochists ?

Quote:
. . . she should be able to sue for having her rights violated.

Trespass quare clausum frigit ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 04:22 pm
@squinney,
WoW!
That 's a colorful flower, Squinney.
Where 'd u find THAT ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 04:28 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:

What happened to the good old days when kids were terrified of angry adults?

Well, u know: this is supposed to be
Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave

Quote:
Now they back mouth you all the time

That 's what free speech is all about;
there r no age limits on the First Amendment,
any more than there are on the 2nd Amendment.

David