Cooking Live Lobster

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:25 am
@CalamityJane,
Nah! She doesn't count. she hunts for fun... In fact, she just doesn't count, period.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 02:07 pm
@dagmaraka,
I've had a similar experience with a couple of strippers...
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 02:09 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
leave my mother out of this..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 07:41 am
I love lobster, but quite honestly I hate to cook them. Fortunately I my husband doesn’t have a problem with it. Before I was married, I would put them to “sleep” before cooking them " that way you don’t get the tail flipping and stuff. Simply rub the spot between their eyes and it kinds of hypnotizes them. It appears as if they are asleep " get the pot good and hot grab one of the suckers and toss them in head first with the lid ready. Say a quick pray, toss them in and quickly put the lid on and run " at least that is how I used to cook them.

By the way just had them last weekend and they were so yummy!

I would warn against the tomalley as since this is the area where all the crap gets filter from the lobster, it can be unhealthy (depending where the lobster previously hung out). Although I know many people who love it.

Always plunge them either in boiling hot water (or we like to steam them, but it is always as hot as possible) " if not, the poor things slowly die. I love lobster, but I am not a fan of torturing any animal or fish. I rather make it quick and as less painful as possible.
Eva

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 08:23 pm
In the spirit of the season....here's a cute idea for a Halloween costume!

http://kecute.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/baby-lobster.jpg
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:17 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu9A0LlLyvo
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:33 pm
When i die... (and they're sure I'm, dead) Maybe they will just toss my body into a field and the birds will pick at my flesh and the worms will tunnel into my bones and they might say to themselves, "my, what a feast!" Smile
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 12:56 pm
@Eva,
Eva, back in the 1620's, the Pilgrims considered the lowly lobsters, scavengers that ate off the ocean's floor.....that is, until the indians, during an extremely bad growing year and a harsh winter, taught the Pilgrims, who were starving, to eat the lobsters! From that point on, it was discovered that lobster, was in fact a hidden ocean delicacy!
cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 01:02 pm
@dagmaraka,
Pathetic.
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 01:21 pm
@Linkat,
Lincat, you're absolutely right about the spot located between the lobster's eyes. If you apply steady and moderate pressure there, it does sort of parylize them....you can tell it's working because their front claws sort of go limp, and they do not put up a fight. You have a small window of time, to drop them into that boiling pot of water, and if you've succeeded, then they do not react to the boiling water at all. They never knew what happened!

One of the funniest stories I've heard concerning a lobster, involved my friend's 85 year old aunt.....Let me first say that the VISUAL on this is funny, but I'm quite sure that the lobster did not find it humorous!! This lady had lived on a bay in Cape Cod, but had NEVER eaten or cooked a lobster before. One of her new neighbors had pulled some of his lobster traps and had been fortunate enough to have gotten several lobsters. He decided to bring one to his neighbor next door. He left it on her doorstep in a plastic bag. When she got home a few minutes later, she found it, carried the bag in, placed it on her kitchen floor, and turned to hang up her sweater in the hall. When she got back to the kitchen, the lobster was running around on her floor. She got scared, and tried to catch it by using her broom. It came towards her with claws raised, she yelled, grabbed a hammer and hit it on the head (which immediately killed it)!!! She then, put on a pot of water, and dropped it in! When she removed it from the pot, it was, of course, all red, and she was sure it was because she had killed it with the hammer, so she threw the whole thing away!!! She never told her neighbor what she had done, but she thanked him for his generosity, and said she had shared it with a friend, because she wasn't suppose to eat l0bster because of the iron content in it!! She never did eat or cook a lobster again!
Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 01:25 pm
@chun chun,
The other fun thing is when they are in this hyponitc state - you can balance them on their heads with their claws spread out. We did this with a group of little kids watching and they loved it.
chun chun

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 06:14 pm
@Linkat,
Oh, that's funny!! I never tried that one, but I will!!!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 07:24 pm
@chun chun,
Quote:
Eva, back in the 1620's, the Pilgrims considered the lowly lobsters, scavengers that ate off the ocean's floor.....that is, until the indians, during an extremely bad growing year and a harsh winter, taught the Pilgrims, who were starving, to eat the lobsters! From that point on, it was discovered that lobster, was in fact a hidden ocean delicacy!

Back in the 1960's there were only a few fish and a few crustaceans that were fished off the Bay of Fundy, with opening trade, especially the Japanese now nearly every conceivable thing in the ocean is seasonally harvested and sold.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 07:53 pm
@RexRed,
Get yourself a big axe or a 12-gauge or a 45/70 and croak the things immediately prior to boiling them.... Life would be fabulous if every problem were as simple as that one.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:58 pm
@chun chun,
The reported plentiful lobster would actually wash up on the beaches and be used as fertilizer. Indentured servants would be forced to eat lobster and sometimes these servants would rebel to have their contracts of servitude rewritten so as not to require lobsters as a food more than twice a week.

chun chun

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 02:25 am
@farmerman,
Ohhh, to be FORCED to eat lobster....those were the good old days! Where can I get one of those contracts? YUM!!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 04:17 am
they dident have no lobstah rolls yet cuz they dident have no rolls aw maynaise, neithah. (said in nawthen new englan agzent ayuh)
RexRed

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:56 am
@farmerman,
I can relate Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:00 am
I recently read that the reason why the lobster population has never dwindled from over fishing is because the lobster trap is only about 10% effective in catching them. (hopefully that never changes)
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 10:22 am
Sorry wrong post
0 Replies