Cooking Live Lobster

Wy

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:00 pm
@Eva,
I am so with you. I haven't had lobster in sooo looong! I should set that as a goal for the holidays -- I ought to be able to stash away enough money for a real lobster dinner... maybe Thanksgiving!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:02 pm
.... and eat the delicious tomalley by busting the hot and hard carapce asunder and dipping into the green mass with a HERRS Blue Corn tortilla chip. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhh, ....I need a cigarette
Izzie

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:04 pm
@Eva,
Oh my..... EVA!!!!!!

I'd be the silly one screaming! NO WAY... NEVER... just.could.not.do.that.

I am picturing the scene and the wry smile on your face girlie! Wink

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:05 pm
@farmerman,
whatsa tomalley?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:12 pm
@ossobuco,
So, somewhere in my background is knowing someone who was a ship captain to x amount of tonnage who took a job on a sportfishing boat which was going after tuna. Turned out the good old boys were using baseball bats on the tuna...

sport.. fishing, get it?

He quit.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:34 pm
@ossobuco,
tomalley is the green paste that resides in the top of the thoracic section of the lobster shell. It is probably the liver (Im not certain what organ , nor do I really wanna know). It has a greenish color and is of a hummus like texture. It has a mild lobstery and sea foam taste and is just about the best part of the lobster. I understand that, like any liver, it can be loaded with toxicants. SO I only eat the tomalley from one lobster a week when we are up in MAine (the rest of the year we may eat lobster once, if we can have em flown in one day from Maine--Those tanked lobsters in a supermarket are mealy, and full of waste and sewage products. They ahve a mealy strong flavor/texture and , once youve eaten a really fresh hard shell lobster, youd never settle for anything less, trust me. I know of what I speak about eating (and cooking) a lobster.

Im a confirmed Orthodox Homarterian ( I made the conscious decison to follow that way many years ago and have never strayed). I cook my lobsters only a few minutes from removing them from their seawater playground and remove the rubber bands from their claws. Then I plunge them headfirst into BOILING seawater. The lid must be placed on the big kettle immediately because they convulse for a few seconds. (Their screaming is composed only of a few random clicks of their claws) They are cooked for leass than 5 m inutes per pound and eaten immediately. Butter is optional since many people whose tastes I respect highly, scorn the use of dairy products and seafood because of imparted tastes and butyric odors. I personally like butter on the tail but prefer eating the legs, muscle packets, and claws, sans anything but the meat itself.
I usually keep a bowl of Herrs Blue corn tortilla chips to dip the tomalley. Nobody else in the family will eat the tomalley and they think Im just a fool.

I can not eat a lobster for more than one day in a row. I cannot eat it two nights back to back. Its way too rich. I must have a day or more to recoup my essence and my precious bodily fluids. Maine lobsters are the best. Ive had the same kinds in France but the French crap it up . In this one beast , the French seem to dsicount their rule toward simple preparation. ANy sauce on a lobster screws up the texture which is, along with the sweet flavor, a second base of enjoyment of this food.

I must now book a flight back up to Eastport Me. Im hungry for a nice 2.5 pounder.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:39 pm
osso, two fish can kill you from just flopping around on the deck of a boat. One is a halibut, which at 200 lb and armed with piranha like teeth, can shred your legs as it is brought on deck, the other is a bluefin tuna, which, at 600 pounds and shaped like a fat SCUD missile, can kill you by just thrashing itself over your legs.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:52 pm
@farmerman,
Re that tuna scene, it wasn't some self defense thing going on. Ot maybe it was a mix. But since I wasn't the captain and this is second hand, I'll desist.

On the lobster, thanks for the explaino, get all you are saying.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:05 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Then I plunge them headfirst into BOILING seawater. The lid must be placed on the big kettle immediately because they convulse for a few seconds. (Their screaming is composed only of a few random clicks of their claws)

AHA!!!! Now, THERE'S a man who knows how to cook a lobster!
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:11 pm
@JPB,
I always thought you just put them into normal temp water, top the pan, then heat it up.. ?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:19 pm
@shewolfnm,
You my dear, would make a fine cannibal...

Shocked Wink

(Doh...)
JPB

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:29 pm
@Rockhead,
<snicker>
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 09:48 am
I'm reminded of the story of the little red hen...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 09:50 am
whad-I-say?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:05 am
I love to eat lobster and veal too, but I could not kill either.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:09 am
@farmerman,
farmerman... have I mentioned that I enjoy your posts on all subjects thoroughly? I don't wanna kiss you or anything but I wanted to say that. and to think I hated you when you were NY Zinger...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:19 am
busted
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:55 am
Oh come on, you guys. Honestly, who wouldn't want to kill something that looks like this?

http://www.freshestcatch.com/images/live_lobster.jpg

(Killing 'em isn't the weird part...eating 'em is. I've always wondered what kind of desperate, starving person first looked at a lobster and thought of eating it.)
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:10 am
@Eva,
Lobsters....Love'em. Cooked a few, not that I take any pleasure in it. But if you can't kill it, you shouldn't eat it. ..or something. The screaming, I thought, was air rushing out of the critters, plus the claws, like farmer said. It's a quicker way to go than many other animals face...including lifelong cruelty in many cases.

But... ever heard of a live loster sashimi? Yeah. A friend of mine has been through it with some business partners. I mean, they were buying. Essentially, the half a lobster is crawling on the table and watching you with its sad eyes (look at Eva's post above) as you eat it's chopped off tail. Now THAT's hardcore.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:19 am
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

But if you can't kill it, you shouldn't eat it. ..or something.

Yeah, I just don't have that Sarah Palin quality in me. Laughing