Ok, let's keep this one open.
I'll make a tutorial with screenshots and all when I get a chance. Montana, let me know if you need any help.
Timber, I have some ideas for the batch uploading.
1. Are we able to reference them in a hotlink inside a post on the A2K boards without causing extra bandwidth expense?
It'd probably cause more bandwidth (because of more views, for e.g. the gallery is not visibly linked to for guests so search engines won't drive as many visitors.
But it's perfectly fine to do so. When the bandwidth is used on Able2Know pages I can ensure that there is a balance of revenue to bandwidth use.
And wanna know sumthin' neat? I already have hotlink protection in the gallery.
So it'll work just fine on A2K domains and domains of other sites I specify (for e.g. the cafepress store we used was hotlinking the images) I think I solved the hotlink problem for the users who were not getting the images. I'm waiting for phoenix to show up because she was having that problem and if it work for her that will complate the test and it will have worked for everyone.
2. What about outside these boards, are we able to hotlink to them from another site?
Nope, I made sure to say that on the order page. The reason why is because when you put it out there on some site, another visitor might find it and put it on another site and so on and so forth. For an interesting example: I had a funny cartoon on a 404 page, someone hotlinked it on another site (I didn't mind, they were enjoying it).
But others saw that forum and eventually many sites osted it. Once it gets to teh point where it's too much to tolerate you can't stop it. Even if the server administrator takes measures to curb it the image won't be removed from all those sites and even with hotlink protection in place every time those pages are loaded it will send a file request to the server (even if this can be configured to return a 403.
3. Are the captions and comments under the photos able to be formatted with different font styles and sizes?
To some extent, yes. It uses the same BB code but does not have the editing buttons. Fonts are not a feature of the current forum or gallery BB code.
4. Are there different layout styles to choose from or just the one "contact sheet" style?
Individual galleries do not yet have the ability to change the sytle of the gallery. I will be redesigning the main one a bit and will also be creating a separate photogallery with a layout catering to artists. But there will be this option in the future.
5. Are there any restrictions on individual photo file size?
Yes, 1 MB, which is pretty big for the web. The gallery for artists will have a larger limit.
6. Any restrictions on the size of an album in number of photos and/or total file size?
There is always a limit, no such thing as unlimited. The end of the hard drive is one limit for e.g.
But, the limit I believe a member will run into first is their space limit (ranging from 100 -1000 MB).
7. Can the private galleries be linked to and viewed by non-A2K members if permission is granted or must they be A2K members to view it no matter what the permissions are?
Yes, if they are linked to they can be viewed. Owners of private galleries can make it viewable only to members but the default setting does not restrict who can see it, it's just not linked to, from Able2Know for guests as it's mainly bell or a whistle for the members, and not the focus of the site.