Post widths have been expanded?

Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:02 am
@Reyn,
I have sent a ticket to the webmaster now to confirm the site page width increase.
Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 12:17 pm
@Reyn,
Anyone else with 800 x 600 resolution that would care to comment?
Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 04:49 pm
@Reyn,
I received this answer from the webmaster. So, I guess this confirms my findings.

--------------------

It's not your imagination, some things are being experimented with for coming design changes.

What we'll settle on for the permanent layout is not yet certain, it's hard to make the site look good in all resolutions and we have a lot more exploring to do before it's finalized.

Sincerely,
The Support Team at www.able2know.org
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 04:55 pm
@Reyn,
Well, it's nice to know you aren't crazy huh?
Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Well, it's nice to know you aren't crazy huh?

Hi Edgar, yes.

I'm not happy with this (possibly) temporary change in the width of the site pages. A lot of folks still use 800 x 600 screen resolution. For us having to constantly use the horizontal scroll bar to pull the page to the right is a pain in the butt.

I'm hoping it gets changed back to what it was before the pages widened. I've gotten used to all of the new changes made to the site, but if I have to scroll to the right after each page change, I'm not sure if I'll stick around.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:13 pm
@Reyn,
It would severely restrict my site time, I am sure.
Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
I take it you have this problem as well?

It seems to me, a better design would be to have the posts start at the immediate left, and have the stuff that's on the left now, put up pull down columns (at top) perhaps.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:18 pm
@Reyn,
No. I didn't notice a thing. Just stating for the record.
Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
What screen resolution you using?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:36 pm
@Reyn,
I don't remember how to find out.
Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
1- Right click on your desktop

2- Click 'Properties'

3- Click 'Settings' up at the top

4- Voila!
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:47 pm
@Reyn,
When I right click on my desk top, I don't get "properties."
Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 08:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Okay, never mind, I'm sure in the scheme of things, it won't matter anyways.

Are you using Windows XP and Internet Explorer?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 08:05 pm
@Reyn,
Vista and Internet Explorer.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 08:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
What would happen if you switched to another browser?
Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 08:06 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I've noticed, too, Reyn.

Thanks, by the way, Olga.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 08:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

What would happen if you switched to another browser?

You're a Vista guy, huh?

I'm not interested in switching from IE to something else, quite frankly. I don't think that would help.

I tried switching resolutions, and it just made everything really small. I didn't like it.

Besides, I share this computer with Vivienne. I don't know what switching to a higher resolution would do to all the sites that she visits. Nothing good, I reckon.

It took me a while to get everything just right after switching back to 800 x 600. I had to fool around with the monitor, because it changed how the screen looked. Then, I realized that wasn't all that was reset. The refresh rate was altered. It took me a while to figure that out and where it should be.

I'd be a happy camper if the page width would go back to where it was yesterday. I'm not at all hopeful that will happen.
Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 08:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

How's your zoom level?

I tried this and for a moment, I was hopeful that this would be a quick, temporary fix while I was on the site.

After trying it though, I noticed that it messes stuff up, somewhat. The print becomes quite small. I had to move it down to about 85% to make it work for me.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:13 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
I'd be a happy camper if the page width would go back to where it was yesterday. I'm not at all hopeful that will happen.

Like I said to you when you asked on the helpdesk, we are working on it, even if I don't know what exactly we are going to do about it. Threatening to leave and all isn't going to make us go any faster (Nick's on vacation anyway, and this will have to wait till he returns) and will just waste our time repeating ourselves.
Reyn

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:02 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Reyn wrote:

Like I said to you when you asked on the helpdesk, we are working on it, even if I don't know what exactly we are going to do about it. Threatening to leave and all isn't going to make us go any faster (Nick's on vacation anyway, and this will have to wait till he returns) and will just waste our time repeating ourselves.

Thank you for your reply. I did not expect one here. I'm sorry if my mild comments came off as a threat. It's more of a little bit of disgruntled unhappiness with the state of affairs.

It took me some time to get used to the new version of A2K. I think I have successfully done that now. When I noticed that the site page width increased, causing a bit more grief, I merely spoke out of frusteration.

I apologize for this. I should have been more patient. I appreciate that you have spent much time and money on this site.
0 Replies