Labour looses by-election due to war with Iraq

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:16 pm
At least, that may have been one of the main reasons, as Labour chairman Ian McCartney admitted disappointed: the war with Iraq may have been a crucial factor in the result.

Quote:
Lib Dems celebrate over Brent East poll
Prime Minister Tony Blair has signalled his readiness to listen to voter concerns after the Liberal Democrats seized one of Labour's safest seats in a key north London by-election.
Sarah Teather won the Brent East poll by more than 1,100 votes, overturning a 13,047 majority and marking Labour's first loss of a Commons seat in a by-election for 15 years.

The by-election, which saw London MEP Robert Evans knocked in to second place with 7,040 votes, compared with Ms Teather's 8,158, sent shock waves through the New Labour leadership.

Conservative chairman Theresa May said the result, which saw her party's candidate Uma Fernandes trailing in third place with 3,368 votes, marked a "devastating blow" for Labour in one of its "heartlands".

link to complete article

The Guardian: Lib Dem byelection triumph

Independent: Lib Dems stun Blair by taking Brent

And The Telegraph says:
Quote:
Labour's defeat will be seen as an indication that it has lost popularity as a result of the recriminations over the Iraq war and growing infighting over public service reform. Charles Kennedy, the Liberal Democrat leader, opposed the decision to go to war to topple Saddam Hussein and has since led parliamentary criticism of Tony Blair over allegations that the Government exaggerated the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

Labour loses Brent seat to Lib Dems
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 583 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 06:44 am
I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this, in any country. If candidates can keep this issue in front of the people, in England or the US or elsewhere, I think we'll see other voter revolts. They won't necessarily be successful, but I think we'll see some heavy activity in this area.
0 Replies