The Most Popular Life Style on Earth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:31 pm
The Most Popular Life Style on Earth
Forget lions, tigers, and sharks. The billions of tiny parasites that make a living castrating and brainwashing their hosts may be the new kings of the food web.

Quote:
One of the main challenges to understanding how food webs behave is drawing the web in the first place. Ecologists need to observe which species are eating which. In some cases, a single species of prey may be the main source of food for a predator; other predators may prefer to liven up their diet with many species. But a perfect picture of a food web would be too difficult to assemble and too difficult to analyze. So ecologists have had to decide how much detail they can live without. Until the 1990s, they universally agreed that parasites could be ignored. Parasites seemed like little more than hangers-on, with no significant effect on the food web of their hosts.

Then, in 1997, two Canadian biologists, David Marcogliese and David Cone, published a paper titled “A Plea for Parasites.” (2) Parasites, they argued, might well play a pivotal role in food webs. Some of them were deadly, thus controlling populations of predators and prey alike. Others didn’t kill their hosts but lived inside them, feeding on their food and diverting energy that might produce more hosts. And many parasites needed to live in more than one species of host throughout their life cycle"in other words, they moved through the food web. To say parasites didn’t matter to food webs seemed absurd.

Marcogliese and Cone knew it wouldn’t be easy to rectify the problem. Parasites may be the most successful life form on Earth, but scientists know relatively little about them because they’re so hard to study. Documenting parasites requires years of dissections, of careful study with microscopes, of experiments. “It’s an enormous amount of work,” Marcogliese says.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,319 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:32 am
@Robert Gentel,
"Trophic webs" has been a relatively new area in applied paleo for about the last 10 years. I was surprised at how, from the available data, the emergence of the non=free living ecto- parasite "life style" made a rather abrupt appearance in the late Mesozoic. My own takeon it is that some large global environmental condition appeared, responsible for such stuff as flowering plants, mammals, commensal parasites, etc. All these occured at approximately the same time .
Geologically, it was a time that began the "Great Rifts" and the floating apart of PAngea.(130-145 my).

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:39 am
@farmerman,
Ive always been interested in the apperances of eco systems /trophic webs/ and the geologic environments of the time that these webs first appeared.
As my structural geo students always remind me
"**** always happens for a reason"
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:58 am
bookmark
0 Replies