In the A2K playground: Play the Synbot game today!

JPB

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 07:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert, if you started listing the list of people here who troll this site or regularly respond to those who do, the list would be long and deep. Your example is certainly not the one I would chose to list as the classic example of a troll-feeder, but then I'm not the one naming names.

Ok, maybe I will... joe LOVES trolling the trolls. It has "entertainment" value. O'Bill, ci, nimh, and others are all over those discussions. Gus is the biggest troll here (well, not so much lately) but he's a welcome troll and doesn't get nearly the attention of the possum manifestations because he's a Popular Troll!

A certain thread or two (or three or seven) has been ruined for you because a particular poster hasn't been adequately ignored? Then either block that poster or set up an administrative alert for those you want to see ignored by the masses so your viewing pleasure is no longer disrupted.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:01 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
Ok, maybe I will... joe LOVES trolling the trolls. It has "entertainment" value. O'Bill, ci, nimh, and others are all over those discussions.

Hey, I agree with most of that list and cringe when they rise to the bait as well. But I don't think any less of them for it, and I think you should also add me to the list. Especially in the past, I've liked engaging some kinds of trolls and probably still will in the future.

I'm sure I can do much better about this as well.

Quote:
Gus is the biggest troll here (well, not so much lately) but he's a welcome troll and doesn't get nearly the attention of the possum manifestations because he's a Popular Troll!

Just a few minutes ago I had the exact same thought, Gus is the best troll I've ever seen on the internet. He's funny as hell.

Quote:
A certain thread or two (or three or seven) has been ruined for you because a particular poster hasn't been adequately ignored? Then either block that poster or set up an administrative alert for those you want to see ignored by the masses so your viewing pleasure is no longer disrupted.

I think you are unfairly trying to tie my personal opinion to to the role I play in this site. I've made very clear that I don't want to try to impose this view on others administratively and that I'm just voicing my opinion.

I'd like to be able to speak freely and voice my opinons without it being portrayed as trying to lord over people with authority. Like I said, anyone is perfectly free to disagree with what I've said and do what they want. I'd have it no other way.

But that doesn't mean I no longer have an opinion on the matter, or that I shouldn't express it.
Mame

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:15 pm
@SYNRON,
Some of you were already on my ignore list - what a stupid conversation you're having.

Feed the trolls vs don't feed the trolls. Who gives a shite? Everyone has a different reaction each day. Bloody hell. Live and let live. Click on by or use the Ignore Feature. This Ignore User is the best thing, even in the morass of mediocrity this site has become. I don't know why it has become this, but it has. It's almost a dead bloody bore.

Where did all the fun go? All the interesting conversations? There's only politics, games, and shite. The very odd thread is worth visiting, otherwise... blah.

Of course, this is just my opinion, of course.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:21 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Robert, if you started listing the list of people here who troll this site or regularly respond to those who do, the list would be long and deep. Your example is certainly not the one I would chose to list as the classic example of a troll-feeder, but then I'm not the one naming names.

Ok, maybe I will... joe LOVES trolling the trolls. It has "entertainment" value. O'Bill, ci, nimh, and others are all over those discussions. Gus is the biggest troll here (well, not so much lately) but he's a welcome troll and doesn't get nearly the attention of the possum manifestations because he's a Popular Troll!

Blimey! I'm the one who got a burr under my saddle and let fly about what I saw as Rob's attitude early on this thread...so I feel implicated in this post.....but I think it is quite unfair.

It has been made very clear that what the new site is about is less top-down decision-making and more power in the hands of members.

Clearly, therefore, mods are not going to be doing much banning and how we react to trolls is going to be the means of controlling them.

One of the good things about the new site, at least as I see it, is that Robert has been more active again...possibly partly because handing over the power to us makes his involvement less subject to projections about his power.

My particular burr was about manner, and I accept Robert's explanation that I was mistaken in my interpretation of what this implied......I am a bit of a fire-cracker, especially with people I truly like and respect (or loathe and despise), and Robert tends to cop the like and respect side of this because of his manner of expressing himself sometimes, for which I apologize (sometimes).

I think that having a problem with Robert expressing his personal desires re how we deal with trolls, and conflating that with fiats from the site operator, is unfair and kind of mean-spirited, and I would hate to see that affect his ability to participate in the site.

I know that I was a major contributor to this conflation, which I regret.

But really, I think Rob ought to be allowed to express his personal opinions without copping site admin flak.

If you are peeved because he named Rockhead, fine.....(I understand there is a lot of complexity happening there) but I think it unfair to move from that criticism to unwarranted fantasies about admin stuff, which clearly run counter to stated (and, I think, deeply felt) policy.

Mebbe we all obsess about trolls because some of us have formed a kind of village, over many years, and have the strengths and weaknesses of that social structure?

If so, it's not going to stop, because we see them as real threats to personal happiness.....or as fun objects of playful games.

JPB

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I think you are unfairly trying to tie my personal opinion to to the role I play in this site. I've made very clear that I don't want to try to impose this view on others administratively and that I'm just voicing my opinion.

You may find it unfair, but your desire to be one of "us" and one of "them" can't be separated. One of the very first harsh realities of becoming a manager was that, although the only difference in me was one night's sleep, the very next day I became one of "them". It's not fair but it's real. You carry the burden of being the owner here. This is your site and your opinions carry more weight than anyone else's. It's something you can't divorce yourself from no matter how hard you may try. And naming names of those who you chose to set as an example weighs heavily as both a positive and a negative.
TTH

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:26 pm
@JPB,
Bingo JPB
It's about time someone who doesn't kiss ass said something.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:28 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:

You may find it unfair, but your desire to be one of "us" and one of "them" can't be separated. One of the very first harsh realities of becoming a manager was that, although the only difference in me was one night's sleep, the very next day I became one of "them". It's not fair but it's real. You carry the burden of being the owner here. This is your site and your opinions carry more weight than anyone else's. It's something you can't divorce yourself from no matter how hard you may try. And naming names of those who you chose to set as an example weighs heavily as both a positive and a negative.

Do you think, though, that we can move beyond that?

Especially given the new structure?

A lot of my managers have also been my friends.....and it was clear where the normal social stuff ended, and the manager began....ditto with those I manage.

REally, I don't think it rocket science.......do you?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:28 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
You may find it unfair, but your desire to be one of "us" and one of "them" can't be separated.

This isn't about me trying to be one of anything, I just want to express my opinion without it being taken as anything but my opinion.

I realize that I can't do much about that if someone is determined not to, and anyone is free to take it how they like but it is in that spirit that I offer it. It's just my opinion and I'm entitled to it (and if I'm not I can't get rid of it anyway).
Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You've called my name twice...

I would PM you were that an option.

If you do not wish to converse publicly with me, I suggest you stop.

You are kinda being a shithead tonight, BTW...

(just my opinion...)
JPB

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:33 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Blimey! I'm the one who got a burr under my saddle and let fly about what I saw as Rob's attitude early on this thread...so I feel implicated in this post.....but I think it is quite unfair.

It has been made very clear that what the new site is about is less top-down decision-making and more power in the hands of members.

Not implicated by me, deb. My position here is based on the owner of the site naming names without ANY interaction with the individuals so named. I think it was in poor taste and voiced my opinion accordingly.
parados

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:34 pm
I think there is little doubt that Synron is really a previous troll under a new identity.

When a new member (troll) makes snide comments about the 3 year old health problems of long time members, there is little doubt that said troll has been here before. Especially when the snide comments closely mirror the comments made by that previous troll at the time of the health problems. I believe at least 2 of the previous incarnations on the list of names have made the same personal comments that would really only be known if the said present troll was the previous troll. No troll is going to take the time to read 3 year old messages to attack someone that has barely talked to them in this incarnation. I think the list of names is fairly accurate.

The same continual misspelling of my screen name by this troll as in previous incarnations also point to a repeat troll. I can understand your argument Robert that there are a lot of trolls out there but too many things are done and said by this troll for him not to be a reincarnation of at least 2 previous screen names.