A unifying language for the metaphysical?

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 11:12 pm
@north,
Science isn't about knowledge. It's about fact. Knowledge is a mix of fact and belief into what we refer to as truth.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 11:14 pm
@Cyracuz,
Say What ??? Drunk
Geeeeeee...I´m speechless !
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 10:12 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I am assuming you will tell us why when you regain your words.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 11:52 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

The though hit me today that if all the different brances of science were to use the language of numbers and formulas in their own exclusive way, then mathematics would be as controvertial as theology.

In metaphysics there is no common norm for the terms used to create the abstract landscape of thought. "The soul" and "god" mean different things depending on which branch or school of metaphysics you consult. Often the different definitons or understandings contradict eachother.

If we had the same problem in science... If for instance PI had different properties in geometry and algebra, the two schools of mathematics could easily contradict eachother.

And finally I am getting to the question I wanted to ask:
Could the differences between our metaphysical realities, and the conflicts these differences cause, be resolved by a unifying language that has clear definitions that all can understand?

Kant tried to do something like this in his Prolegomena (or start something like this). He wanted Metaphysics to officially become a science after 2400 years of being regarded solely as a part of philosophy. It failed though. Poor Metaphysics haha.

I am sure we could set up a language, that is, we could construct one that is already interpreted. This languuage would have to be geared towards Metaphysical issues. There is a problem though in this: would anyone be able to come to a consensus on this language (a group of people that is).

Also we have to consider if there is already not a better language out there for metaphysics instead of having to create a new one. Or maybe a multitude of languages (math, logic, etc.).
0 Replies

john2054

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 01:55 pm
@north,
Hi North, I took it from my self investigations into metaphysics at college, that as a prototypical cutting edge science, metaphysics deals with investigations into not just quantum mechanics (which it is commonly associated with), or theories of time or relativity, but actually with the depth and scope of all the interesting and perinent scientific theories and quantums. A beginning look into this complex and sophisticated realm will necessarily include a brief survey of other realms from Theatre (note the greeks and Nietsches the birth of tragedy), early and contemporary philosophy (which naturally follows on from the last point), Einsteins theory of relativity and Hawkins scientific revelations as well as a whole load of new stuff as well. I think there is room for God as both a theory and practice in this discussion, but it should not be allowed to distort the argument by getting stuck on this point. Rather it should fall into line alongside the other interesting ideas, as part of the overall discussion. Nothing more nothing less. The language needs to be in part part of the attitude and space given to the conversants in order to have a free and somehow multi-faith discussion at this time regarding these matters. That is my opinion anyhow, thanks.
0 Replies