Tonight's VP debate

JPB

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:42 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Here's the results from the survey I participated in. It looks like there was a bunch of obsessive partisanship by both Democrats and Republicans and those maverick independents mostly sided with the Democrats.

http://www.mediacurves.com/

Curiously, the difference in percentages in each party are very similar to the differences in the House vote on the bailout a few days ago.

The mediacurves link works now. I think it was probably a volume problem right after the debate. Interesting to see the crossover diagonals and independent swing. It looks very similar to the Obama-McCain results with a slightly larger shift to Biden on a couple questions and a few more toss-ups this round.
sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:48 am
@JPB,
Wow! The independents were really pro-Biden.

Cool.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:48 am
Palin was splendid. She looked right into the camera, smiled and recited with confidence and aplomb. It was, in my view, a performance the equal of that given by Paris Hilton in her response to the McCain ad featuring her. Quite impressive.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:53 am
@blatham,
Yes, she deserves a bouquet of roses and a tiara, but not the VP position.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:58 am
Not much material in that debate for SNL to latch onto unfortunately.

Sarah did well. She didn't answer any real questions, but she did a good job of looking calm and sounding folksy doggone it, and I'm sure that was what she was supposed to do. No game changers in that debate. No train wrecks.

Biden should have challenged the argument that John McCain was talking about the American worker when he said the economy was sound. That's pretty obviously a back peddling excuse for not knowing that the economy is not sound. And Sarah Palin shouldn't be claiming to talk to the American people as a straight shooter when she (and McCain) are just spinning an outright blunder. This debate would have been more fun if Biden had challenged the strategy of the presentation Sarah was doing.

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:59 am
Wow, who would have thought that the liberals would think Biden won and Palin did slightly better then a talking puppet. Rolling Eyes

Biden won some questions, Palin won others. Overall, Palin gave a better performance. Shocked, eh?
firefly

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:06 am
@Woiyo9,
Palin certainly convinced me last night--she's a great candidate for president of the student council.

Gosh darn, that gal has spunk and style. She is just chock full of energy and adorable mannerisms like tilting her head and winking. And forget all that gloom and doom about the economy or our foreign policy challenges, just look at her dazzling smile, that means happy days are here again. Doggone, that's a smile that can get things done. That little gal is a real Maverick who can shake things up. Those stodgy Washington types just get confused with facts and figures that hockey moms and joe six-pack types don't need to bother with. We want people we can like--people we can have a beer with, or watch a game with--they'll somehow figure out to solve the mess in Washington. It worked in Wasilla, didn't it? We don't want to look back, we need to look forward. And, it's no big deal if the little lady supplies no answers to questions she doesn't like, 'cause we're not even listening to the questions--or her answers. Shoot, with a smile like that, and all that pluck, we just know she'll just scratch her pretty head and come up with something to put Washington back on track.

revel

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:16 am
@McGentrix,
Palin gave a better performance if you like scripted answers to questions unasked.

Anyway below is fact check on the VP debate. As usual both candidates fudged. I am beginning to think it must be a requirement.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_biden-palin_debate.html
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:21 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Not much material in that debate for SNL to latch onto unfortunately.

Not much for SNL to work with? I imagine they are going to have a field day with her sayings and winkings and not answering questions asked.
engineer

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:21 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Palin was splendid. She looked right into the camera, smiled and recited with confidence and aplomb. It was, in my view, a performance the equal of that given by Paris Hilton in her response to the McCain ad featuring her. Quite impressive.

It was good, but I don't know if it was Paris good. That long pause while she confirmed Maui was the place for tannig was perfect.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:24 am
@firefly,
Pretty good rack also. Wouldn't you agree?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:26 am
@McGentrix,
There you go again, McG.

Liberals would tend to think that. It's predictable. Your response/opinion likewise. Not much in the way of objective truth available as regards such a debate, particularly presently. A more realistic measure would be broad polling data, particularly of non-aligned voters and, so far, that doesn't look good for your side.

Palin was clearly rehearsed to say things that had the goal of identification with Reagan. That's de rigeur, of course, Reagan being the sacred icon of the movement. But one can identify a hope/strategy of the PR folks in charge here to cast Palin (this is a forward-looking strategy) as a reincarnation of the Gipper.

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:34 am
@blatham,
I don't think it's possible for someone to give a logical argument for Palin as VP.

But gee willikers I tell ya', she's just the kinda gal Joe Six-Pack needs! Well dunno' nothin' about Washington DC, but....her kid is mentally disabled!
McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:35 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

There you go again, McG.

Liberals would tend to think that. It's predictable. Your response/opinion likewise. Not much in the way of objective truth available as regards such a debate, particularly presently. A more realistic measure would be broad polling data, particularly of non-aligned voters and, so far, that doesn't look good for your side.

Palin was clearly rehearsed to say things that had the goal of identification with Reagan. That's de rigeur, of course, Reagan being the sacred icon of the movement. But one can identify a hope/strategy of the PR folks in charge here to cast Palin (this is a forward-looking strategy) as a reincarnation of the Gipper.

You say this as though Biden wasn't also giving canned answers... Didn't he say Obama wasn't qualified to be C-i-C? Palin gave good debate, despite the last 3 weeks of labor given by the liberals in the media to make her out as "bimbo" (Bill Maher). I'm not shocked at all by the responses I read here, it would be unforgivable for you guys to say anything differently or to view the debate as anything but a "clear win" for Biden.
JPB

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:39 am
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
I've long felt that a nation gets the government it deserves. If McCain-Palin are elected in November then we've gotten precisely what we deserve.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:58 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
You say this as though Biden wasn't also giving canned answers... Didn't he say Obama wasn't qualified to be C-i-C? Palin gave good debate, despite the last 3 weeks of labor given by the liberals in the media to make her out as "bimbo" (Bill Maher). I'm not shocked at all by the responses I read here, it would be unforgivable for you guys to say anything differently or to view the debate as anything but a "clear win" for Biden.

I didn't say it was a win for Biden. I said you are going to tend to conclude one thing where a Bidens supporter would tend to think another. Your bias stands on equally shaky footing with someone on the other side.

What matters is electoral response. Palin's performance (or Biden's could be reasonably argued to be a "win" only where she/he influences those outside of the partisan community.

But perhaps you would grant the rather axiomatic notion that canned answers will be more likely utilized where a person's knowledge base is deeply limited.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:05 am
@blatham,
I do not believe there is anyone outside the partisan community that would actively participate in polls. At this point, most people have an idea of who they are going to vote for and the debates, while a interesting to those that enjoy politics, are doubtful to change anyone's mind.

It does give the media talking heads something to talk about until Tuesday though.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:08 am
@blatham,
I am , of course, not biased; the word on the street is that Sarah is a Walt Disney animation of a Norman Rockwell magazine cover. nothing at all like Paris Hilton.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:17 am
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Hey so is one of mine....AND I can see the moon from my house....I don't know whether to be the vice president or an astronaut.....
rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:29 am
@revel,
Quote:
Not much for SNL to work with? I imagine they are going to have a field day with her sayings and winkings and not answering questions asked.

I hope you're right. Any excuse to get Tina Fey to impersonate Sarah Palin again works for me Smile
0 Replies