MY BIG , FAT DIET - CANADIAN STYLE

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:04 pm
canada's most watched documentary has been the science show :

MY BIG , FAT DIET !

http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/

the show deals with health problems (particularly diabetes and obesity) experienced by many oboriginals in canada once they start eating a "western style" diet .
most , of course , eat western style foods - and the health consequences have been rather horrendous !

a medical doctor - himself of aboriginal heritage - found out that he had diabetes too - even though he is quite slim .
he decided to investigate "aboriginal" diets : lots of fish , fishoil , meat , fat ,
but NO potatoes , sugar , flour products .
he convinced a community on the pacific coast to try a "native" diet for a year . the results have been rather astonishing - to say the least . they started to lose weight , blood pressure went down ... ... well , read for yourself .
the doctor was interviewed on CBC-TV and we watched the interview this morning .
quite interesting ! the doctor warned however that the results are still preliminary and he does NOT suggest that (particularly) non-natives start on this diet - particularly if they are not under good medical supervision !
still a very interesting subject imo .
hbg

Quote:
Supersize Me meets Northern Exposure in My Big Fat Diet when the Namgis First Nation of Alert Bay gives up sugar and junk food, returning to a traditional style of eating for a year to fight obesity and diabetes.

If you visit Alert Bay off the coast of Vancouver Island, you'll find a picturesque fishing village inhabited by two cultures, the Namgis First Nation and their non-native neighbours. Here an epidemic is undermining the health and vitality of community. Like most aboriginal communities across North America, the rates of obesity, metabolic syndrome, and diabetes here are up to five times the national average.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,731 • Replies: 0
No top replies