can I have an european passport?

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:36 pm
My great grandfather was british.
if so what do I have to do to get it?

View best answer, chosen by nanospirit
TTH

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:37 pm
@nanospirit,
Where are you located? Do you plan to just visit or live there?
saab

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:13 pm
@nanospirit,
A passport is issued by the state you are a citizen not by the EU even if it says European Passport which is followed by the state you are a citizen.
Here are some info. Best to contact the nearest British Embassy.

You can apply for a British passport if you belong to one of the groups listed below.

* British citizens
* British dependent territories citizens (BDTCs)
* British overseas citizens (BOCs)
* British subjects
* British nationals (overseas)
* British protected persons
* Non-eligibility

British citizens

Anyone who is a British citizen is entitled to apply for a British passport.

On January 1 1983, anyone who was a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies on December 31 1982, and had the right of abode* in the UK, became a British citizen.

* NB There may be individuals who have the right to live in the UK but will not have the right of abode in the UK as defined by the Immigration Act 1971, and will not therefore become British citizens " see below

That includes people who

* were born in the United Kingdom;
* were born in a British colony and had the right of abode in the UK (Those born in a British colony and did not have the right of abode in the UK will not become British citizens)
* have been naturalised in the United Kingdom;
* had registered as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies; or
* could prove legitimate descent from a father* who one of the above conditions applied to. Before the introduction of the British Nationality Act 1981, a person could not claim nationality from his or her mother.
0 Replies

nanospirit

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 01:42 pm
@TTH,
Im in Germany right now
I plan to study there and maybe live there
TTH

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 01:49 pm
@nanospirit,
I wasn't sure if you were a United States Citizen. If you get the chance, go see the castle in Ludwigsburg. I thought it was pretty neat.
saab

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:12 pm
@nanospirit,
If you live and study in Germany and not even in GB there hardly are any reason for trying to become a British citizen.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:21 pm
@saab,
A British grandfather could be one - at least that's a better argument than studying here in Germany.
nanospirit

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:33 pm
@TTH,
thats too far from where i am right now but yeah i've been to some realy nice places here
but anyway what do you think of my question?
nanospirit

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
well its actually a great grandfather...
and I never sayd I was Studying here in germany... I meant I was planning to do so in England, thats why im asking if I can get it.
0 Replies

nanospirit

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:40 pm
@saab,
If I become a British citizen I get the European passport and that has many benefits, don't you know?
do you have a thing with the British?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:43 pm
@nanospirit,
nanospirit wrote:

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:45 pm
@nanospirit,
nanospirit wrote:

The question is okay - but I doubt that you can become a British citizen:
Quote:
A person may be a British citizen:

by descent; or
otherwise than by descent.
This is a legal difference that affects whether or not a person can pass on citizenship to his/her children.

A person is a British citizen otherwise than by descent if he/she was:

born in the United Kingdom after 1 January 1983 and one or both of his/her parents are British citizens, or were settled in the United Kingdom at the time of the birth; or
adopted in the United Kingdom and one or both parents are British citizens.
A citizen otherwise than by descent can pass on British citizenship automatically to his/her children born outside the United Kingdom. But any children born outside the United Kingdom will be British citizens by descent, and cannot normally pass their citizenship to their own children born abroad. However, they can register their children as British citizens in certain circumstances.

A British citizen by descent cannot become a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

Source: UK Border Agency
nanospirit

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
thats the reply to TTH...
what about it?
0 Replies

nanospirit

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
that means I'm pretty screwed up...
anyhow I think I should go to the embassy just to be sure..
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 09:02 pm
@nanospirit,
What do I think of your question? There is nothing wrong with it, but you could have added more information. That way people could have understood more clearly what you were asking and would not have had to ask a bunch of questions or assume what you meant imo.

btw Hi and welcome to the twilight zone Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

0 Replies

saab
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 01:03 am
@nanospirit,
Usually you don´t become citizen of a country because your great grand father was citizen of that country.
If you are/become a British citizen you still have a BRITISH passport which on the outside says European Union and underneath British or whatever.
We never talk about a European Passport in that sence as Europe is not one state and every state has to issue a passport which shows you are a citizen of that country.
Different countries have different laws about becoming a citizen. Usually you have to live there for several years, often it is tested if you know the language and recently there is in some countries a test where you have to show your knowledge about that country.
I don´t have a thing about the British but I might have some knowledge about changing citizenship.
0 Replies