Ministers to Defy I.R.S. by Endorsing Candidates

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:57 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/26/us/politics/26preach.html?em

Defying a federal tax law they consider unjust, 33 ministers across the country will take to their pulpits this Sunday and publicly endorse a candidate for president.

They plan to then send copies of their sermons to the Internal Revenue Service, hoping to provoke a challenge to a law that bars religious organizations and other nonprofits that accept tax-deductible contributions from involvement in partisan political campaigns.

The protest, called Pulpit Freedom Sunday, was organized by the Alliance Defense Fund, a consortium of Christian lawyers that fights for conservative religious and social causes. When the fund first announced the protest this year, it said it planned to have 50 ministers taking part. As of Thursday it said it had hundreds of volunteers, but had selected only 33 who were fully aware of the risks and benefits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think they should give up their tax-exempt status if they want to do this. What do you think? Do they have a leg to stand on here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,834 • Replies: 6

Rockhead

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:43 pm
@kickycan,
I agree with you, Kicky, but they do got God on their legal team...
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:46 pm
Nah, god's not a citizen, but he supports Obama, not those churches that seem to have hijacked the term "Christian".
ebrown p

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:49 pm
@MontereyJack,
God's not a citizen. He wasn't born here, his parents weren't citizens, nor are there any records of naturalization or even a visa.

If God is here... he is an illegal alien.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:51 pm
@kickycan,
The obvious question to this story is who are they supporting.

Will they come down 33 to 0 in favor of McCain? Or Obama? Or will be a mix? Or will a third party come into play.

I don't think a mass McCain endorsement is going to do McCain any favors.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:43 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
I think they should give up their tax-exempt status if they want to do this. What do you think? Do they have a leg to stand on here?

I agree. If they want to play, they have to pay (just like the rest of us).

eoe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 03:28 pm
@rosborne979,
Just another Hail Mary pass, with hopes that the sheep will catch it. And it gives the old boy something to sink his teeth into, as well. I'm sure he'll start using this as part of his campaign platform, probably today.
0 Replies