Should technology replace the human referee or umpire?

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:32 pm
Hey, Robot Ref! Are You Blind?
Should the sports world replace human umpires with computers?

Quote:
Baseball officials have vowed not to expand the current replay system, but that will be a difficult promise to keep. If video can help an ump determine whether a ball went over the fence, why can't it help with every other call a baseball umpire has to make? That's the lure of video"it promises a measure of certainty in an otherwise uncertain endeavor. Place enough high-speed, high-resolution cameras at enough points around the field of play and you'll eventually get at the absolute truth of any play, the thinking goes. The trouble is, technology can introduce as much uncertainty as it solves.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,890 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Haven't read the article yet. I've mixed feelings, in that greater certainty takes away, to some extent, the old fashioned human-ness of sport. The athletes are human and mess up, and so are the refs. Plus, greater tech certainty would seem to drag thing out more than they're already dragged out. On the other hand, greater tech certainty would cut out some bias, possibly some payoff stuff, and some plain old human error, which at first glance seems a benefit, given all the effort that goes into pro sports.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:44 pm
@ossobuco,
i agree, although i do like that robotic eye they use in tennis...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
whose gonna kick the manager and George Steinbrenner out of the game? Ineed some pissed off old guy ump in the game. I sure as hell dont want a Wall-ii
0 Replies