My cat and I are moving in with other cats and a dog!

steph81

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:36 am
My 5 year old short- hair, grey and black tabby and I are moving into a new place. The new place has a 6 year old russian blue, a 16 year old domestic cat, and a 5 year old husky. My cat has lived with other cats ad a dog before, but she has had the house to herself for 2 years now. When there were other animals, she mostly ignored them. The 2 cats at the new house tend to ignore one another, but the dog likes to chase. Any tips for all of us surviving this situation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,044 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:33 pm
@steph81,
Introduce them slowly. Initially keep them segregated in different rooms. I recommend putting the new cats in a room and letting the cats that lived there roam and get used to their smell through the door before socializing them further.

I also find meal-time introduction can be helpful. If they are put in the same room with separate food and are very hungry, they may not bother checking each other out and focus on the food instead and get used to each other more slowly.

If they just won't get along, there's not much you can do about it but you can try to at least get them off on the right foot by not triggering more territoriality than you need to. Easing the new animals in will be easier on the existing animals and make them feel less threatened.
steph81

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks Robert! That seems to be the concensus on other sites. The meal-time introduction seems like a good idea, I hadn't heard that before. Your help is much appreciated!
0 Replies

steph81

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Help! My cat has been in her own room for nearly 3 weeks. I have tried socializing slowly but one of the other cats doesn't seem to understand hissing and they end up in a tussle. How do I ease her in? Evrytime she is out of the room she gets so stressed out and angry that she won't let anyone near her. Any thoughts?
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:52 pm
@steph81,
I'm not sure what to tell you, sometimes no matter what you try it doesn't work. I've know a few cats who refuse to get along no matter what I've tried.

They eventually took over different "territory" in the house and got pissy any time they were near each other but learned to ignore each other for the most part.
roger

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 01:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I'm not sure what to tell you, sometimes no matter what you try it doesn't work. .

True. My own experience with introducing a new cat to one or two other cats makes me think that tossing the new cat in, on a sink or swim, work it out yourselves is at least as good as any other method. I recognize you are working with much larger numbers of animals, but I don't think there's much else you can do right now.
0 Replies