The Bridge: A Movie about Golden Gate Bridge Jumpers

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks, RG. It seems barriers for the Golden Gate Bridge has its supporters and those against for primarily aesthetics and cost. Under those circumstances, it makes sense to do the barrier to save lives.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Money isn't what stops me. What the hell, a trillion here or there..

I could imagine some barrier being aestheticly pleasing and engineering-safe. I've not seen one yet, but I haven't looked at the video. Where's Calatrava when we need him.. kidding, talk about ruining the bridge. No, I'd like to hear what the main guy at Arup would suggest - forget his name, something like Carlos Beltran. He's a major innovator and problem solver.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
Actually, if you read the article, you will see figures about just that thing.

The article says that a lot of folk, if unable to kill themselves where they planned to, do NOT go on to do it elsewhere.

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:35 am
@Borat Sister,
Do you think they might hope their body is never found? Or even that they are never missed. The unmarked grave thing.

We had a guy who built himself a guillotine. A bit unfair on the cops I thought.
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:44 am
@spendius,
Just as he fell backwards I felt a sharp twinge of utter loneliness. They say that beauty walks a razor's edge and it was right there.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 01:33 pm
This was just posted today on another thread
Golden Gate Bridge Officials Vote for Suicide Net
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 01:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
The net is probably the best idea. It won't stop all, but will hinder.
0 Replies