Mamajuana, A FOND REMEMBERANCE

Noddy24

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 12:43 pm
Both A2K and the world it reflects are impoverished by her death.

Please give her family my condolences.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 12:53 pm
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:43 pm
She was quite the lady and will be missed by many. The sincere and loving tributes to her on this thread are a reflection of who she was and how she stood.

I know this...wherever she has gone, I hope they have their ducks in a row there or she is probably already organizing a few comittees to improve things.

My condolences to her family and friends and God Bless, Mama, I'm sure where you are now the air is clean and you can get around in a way that matches and keeps up with your wonderful free spirit.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:09 pm
more from abuzz

from bobsal
Quote:
I am shocked how many of us seem to be passing on. I missed
mamajuana, but didn't know she was ill. Was she on A2K? Too bad,
she will be missed even more now. A shame. A nice and civil
person.

from WIT
Quote:
Hi All:
Yes, another great person passes out of our lives.
She will be missed.

from blueflame
Quote:
mamajuana. What a champion of the disenfranchised and a voice of
reason in the wilderness. She IS, always special. Always
remembered with great affection.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:15 pm
Many thanks for rounding those up, Blatham!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:17 pm
blatham, Thanks for sharing those from old friends.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:40 pm
jjorge*197982* wrote:

.... and to all the bright, enfuriating, passionate, argumentative, witty, and wonderful members of A2K, while you are still alive and can read my words..

Thank you, jjorge, for the poems and to blatham for the abuzz responses.
and hi, CI and all.

love to all reading this and flowers in our minds from all of us to mamajuana.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 09:12 am
from Seydlitz

Quote:
Sorry to hear the news. Grant her peace, grant her peace, grant
her eternal peace.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 10:38 am
I felt exactly the same way as Jorge. Whenever a friend just... disappears... the first thought after the shock wears off is, Hey, Wait a minute, I didn't tell you how much you were loved and appreciated. You want to rush out and say to everyone you know, In case I don't get a chance to say this later, You're TERRIFIC!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 11:19 am
Good point, Tartar. I think most of us are guilty of not expressing our feelings of love and affection to the folks we care about. I've already lost several close friends last year, and I'm sure they become a normal occurance as we age. I wonder why we don't express our feelings?
0 Replies

Olen

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:56 pm
Mamajuana and I had disagreements, but they were friendly, more like discussions. I enjoyed her very much and will miss her a lot. I enjoy the rest of you here and on abuzz too. Lets keep it friendly, after all, our points are only differences, not animosities.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 02:14 pm
Exactly, Olen. Rather strange, I was thinking of you when I read about Wesley Clark. As I understand it, Mamajuana was frequently in the political arena. I wish that I had known her a little better, but politics is simply not my thing.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 02:36 pm
Just saw this for the first time just now. I am speechless. Like so many others, I knew Mama from Abuzz originally. A fiery, feisty lady, deeply committed to decency and fearless in the face of ill-mannered opposition.

She will be missed.
0 Replies

Olen

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:55 pm
Letty: I am very flattered to know that you thought of me. There was another lady, like mamajuana, that I used to enjoy discussions with, and she passed away suddenly. We became good pen friends, writing about her protesting the Vietnam war. I was against her doing it, but backing up her right to do it. Her name was Mary Pope.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 04:01 pm
Shocked What a wit that lady was, Olen. Odd that you should bring up Mary..she died on my birthday..and chastised himself for his cultural abyss. Cool
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 04:52 am
Those of you who still drop in Abuzz occasionally may be interested to know that the Mary Pope memorial thread was revived recently. She is still on many people's minds. I suspect the same will be true of Mama Juana.
0 Replies

Olen

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 06:11 am
Thank you for the Mary Pope info.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 07:09 am
I got to know Mamajuana on Abuzz, and have always enjoyed her passion and friendly feistiness. I'm so sorry to hear she passed.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 01:18 pm
For mamaj's daughter--

In our A2K forum, we are enabled to choose avatars and quotes to signify how we perceive ourselves, how we'd like others to perceive us, or what we want brought to mind when our posts appear on the forum.

I was reading before bed last night in a rather voluminous short story and poetry book I've had since college, and turned to a page that brought mamajuana crashing back into the forefront of my mind.

About a month, maybe longer ago, mamajuana and I had enjoyed a biting, funny exchange about how members really looked, and how they chose to portray themselves with their avatars. I argued with mama that she was a young, vital woman with long, black, straight hair. A strong-minded 60's activist. She argued that she would be gray, if it weren't for her brown dye job--but she couldn't convince me. Her words were fresh, and her voice was strong. We had fun arguing the point. She threatened to send me pictures, proving her age--and I said no picture she could send me would erase who she really was to me.

Her latest choice of quotes was: "I used to be young and blond; the world is too much with me."

For some reason the last part of her quote piqued some vague memory with me, but I didn't place it until last night.

I wanted you to know her quote, and what she was conveying to us.

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.--Great God! I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreath'd horn.

--William Wordsworth.

She will not be easily forgotten. And, as sad as it is, I'm glad.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 02:54 pm
Sofia
Sofia, such a beautiful tribute to MamaJ from your generous heart.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 06:43:54