Racial views steer some white Dems away from Obama

maporsche

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 06:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yes it is CI.

I understand that most all of the blacks supporting Obama are not 100% voting for Obama's race, they likely support many/most of his policies as well.

However, what % of a person's vote can be for race before it's racist.

Let's say I'm voting for McCain 90% because of his policies/experience, and 10% because he's white. Is that racist?

Let's say I'm voting for Obama 90% because of his policies/experience, and 10% because he's black. Is that racist?

What is the magical percentage of a person's reasoning of voting for a candidate can be based on race (either black or white) before it's considered racist?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 09:13 am
@barackman28,
barackman28 wrote:
You don't get to be the president of the Harvard Law School Review if you are not ...

A black man, who gained admission to Harvard via Affirmative Action ?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 09:16 am
@barackman28,
barackman28 wrote:

Yes, but we SHALL overcome...

IS that why Obama threw his poor, old white grandma under the bus and why Michelle Obama keeps her elderly black mother living in a SouthSide Chicago slum?
Miller

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 09:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Nothing is equal to anything else.

But, didn't God create all men equal?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 01:04 pm
@Miller,
There is only ONE person alive in the universe.
One = One
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 01:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

No, it's not. Your conclusion is based on not understanding the history of this country.

The good news is that the younger generation are smarter, and their votes will go to Obama for reasons you wouldn't understand.

The younger generation is not any smarter and has to face a constant barrage of liberal bullshit in the MSM and in all forms of entertainment directed at them. Our public schools and universities mind mold them into brain dead green machines - libtards. A few emerge from the haze at about 30-35. The others just become old bitter liberals.

Take your kids hunting so you don't have to hunt for your kids.
0 Replies

barackman28

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:19 pm
@Miller,
That is a lie. Michelle Obama takes good care of his grandmother. Anyone who knows Chicago knows that not all of the south side of Chicago is a slum. Thousands of Black people live in very very nice homes.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 12:19 am
It is not, in and of itself, demonstrable racism if a black voter supports a black candidate simply because he or she is black too.

Of course, the same is true concerning a white voter supporting a white candidate

Conventional definitions of "racism" require there to be an element of superiority in a belief if the term is to be applied.

If someone votes for a person of their race simply because they are a member of that race doesn't necessarily mean that they believe that their race is superior to others.

Blacks or whites may, legitimately, feel that a candidate of their own race better understand the problems and issues they face. They may feel the same race candidate will better represent them not because they are inherently superior to a candidate of a different race, but because they relate more closely to them.

If you are a black or white and you vote for the candidate of your own race, irrespective of his or her policies and promises, simply because you hate or believe unworthy all members of the other candidate's race, then you are behaving in a racist manner.

If you are a Democrat who agrees with almost everything Obama stands for but vote for McCain because you don't trust a black to be president, you are behaving like a racist.

If you are a black who votes for Obama, irrespective of his views because you think whites are a race of oppressive devils, you are behaving like a racist.

If you are a black who votes for Obama, irrespective of his views, simply because you would like to see a black man in the Oval Office, you are not behaving like a racist.

If you are a white who doesn't vote for Obama because you do not agree with his views and positions, you are not behaving like a racist.

Blacks can be racist, but not simply by favoring a candidate solely because he or she is black as well.

There have been numerous arguments and comments made in this forum and elsewhere that if Obama doesn't win it will because of racism.

That may very well be if the election is very close and a small but significant number of voters refuse to vote for him because of racist ideas, but that would hardly stand as proof that America is racist or not ready for a black president. In such a case, the mere fact that the black candidate lost by a slim margin would prove the opposite. A racist America, or an America not ready for a black president would never have so close an election between a white and black candidate.

The mere fact that Obama is so close to winning the election is pretty powerful proof that we are ready for a black president.

The political distinctions between Obama and McCain are clear and fundamental. It is not racist, but it is ridiculous to expect white voters to put aside their personal affinity to these distinctions and vote for Obama simply because he is black.

To my way of thinking, voting for Obama simply because he is black despite the fact that I disagree with almost all of his positions, would be so patronizing as to border closely on racism.

I'm more than convinced that black politicians can represent my views and positions and when one who does runs for the presidency, I will vote for him or her without hesitation. Michael Steele for example.

Nevertheless, should Obama lose in November we can be certain we will all be lectured, from both home an abroad, on how it was racism that did him in, that America hasn't changed at all since the days of slavery, and that we should be ashamed of ourselves.

Our European critics will, undoubtedly, hector us quite strenuously on this point despite the fact that there has yet to be European head of state or government who is a person of color. (Although they do seem to have less of a problem with women).

Personally, I am more concerned with the dilemma of being someone who firmly believes it will be bad (not disastrous) for the country if Obama is elected president (as bad as it was when Jimmy Carter was elected), and therefore is in some way hoping that there are more racist Democrats who will refuse to vote for him when secluded in the polling booth.

This is not to say that there are not Republican racists, but they were never going to vote for Obama anyway so, in terms of the election, it matters little whether they are displeased with his race as well as his politics.

If Obama loses a tight race because of racism, it will be the racism of Democrats and Independents that make it possible.

Although America's harriers will ignore this fact, I find the irony somehow sweet, and I admit I feel a bit guilty as a result.

I hope racism will not decide this election and that enough Americans will realize that Obama will make a bad president, but if that's what it takes to keep him out of office?

An ethical dilemma.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:06 am
@Miller,
Quote:
But, didn't God create all men equal?

1 ) Very clearly, He did not do that.
If He had, then it 'd pointless for medical personal
to measure weight or height of any baby, since thay 'd all be equal.
Thay 'd have the same number of teeth, same color, same personality, same everything, inside n out.
There 'd be no reason for grading in school,
since thay 'd all get the same grade, having paid equal attention.

2 ) Even if ( for the sake of argument ) we assumed, contrary to known fact,
that thay were CREATED = ,
for sure thay don 't STAY that way.

Hence, differences of I.Q., of many other talents,
differences of taste, of filosofy in many respects.

Some will choose to become surgeons, mathematicians, astrophysicists and scholarly authors,
whereas others will choose to follow in the footsteps of Castro,
Stalin, the Kennedys, Hitler, Politically Correct folks, Jeff Dahmer, Atta, Laden, Pol Pot etc.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:10 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
When voters enter the booth,
thay will choose to vote upon any basis that thay please.

Their options for determinative criteria are unlimited.
barackman28

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 11:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, and racism will be one of them. American racists will never accept a black man as President.That is why we have to wrest the control from them. If they don't like it they can go to live in their own plush lily white ghettos. We don't care. The USA would be better off without racism. The whole world agrees with that.
0 Replies

barackman28

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 11:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
And why don't they stay that way--equal? Because if your Black, stay back.
Blacks are as intelligent as Whites--they just don't have the opportunity to go to the kinds of schools that are heavily funded. Anyone that doesntknow that doesntknow very much about the reasons for inequality.
0 Replies