Ike Uncovers Historic Ship

mismi

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:54 pm
A Civil War Schooner was found - apparently uncovered by Ike. It was from 1862 trying to sneak into Mobile Bay when it ran aground. It is possibly either The Monticello or The Rachel. They have not determined for sure...would not be able to know for sure unless they found the bell with either name on it.

http://www.al.com/news/press-register/metro.ssf?/base/news/1221815716203500.xml&coll=3

I love stories like these. Little bits of history washed up on the shore. Or big bits in this case.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,045 • Replies: 8

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:16 pm
@mismi,
I wish I could dive for a living.
Oh how fascinating that would be !!!
mismi

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 06:08 am
@shewolfnm,
I agree Shewolf. I love the fact that this ship washed up down where I grew up. I wish I could get down there and see it myself. Being an adult sucks sometimes.
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 06:19 am
@mismi,
So, what happens when something like this is found I wonder.

lets say -I- was the one walking on the shore and I see this massive mound of dark stuff.
It isnt until I get closer that I realize its a piece of a ship.

No one else is around, there is no private property... etc..

Does the old playground rule work? Finders Keepers?
mismi

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 06:57 am
@shewolfnm,
I think it depends. I have tried researching but have found nothing to verify. If it is someone's property my understanding is that it is theirs. It washed up on the beach at Fort Morgan though...that is owned by the Alabama Historical Commission I believe. If that is the case then it is theirs.

I wonder though...the only thing you could do with it is sell it to a historical comission to research and preserve. I wonder what a 147 year old ship goes for these days?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:48 am
@mismi,
Very interesting.

There are a lot of shipwreck sites around where I grew up on the Great Lakes. There is so much history to be discovered at those dive sites.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 08:09 am
@shewolfnm,
Neat story mismi.
shewolfm. This is a good read, in fact, a great read. A true story. Check it out.
http://www.robertkurson.com/book.html
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 09:33 am
I believe there are salvage rights in such a vessel. Considering its age, it's not like it would contain anything reusable (e. g. consider that a modern day shipwreck could have still-usable steel beams on it or whatever) except for display in museums or to be sold to collectors, possibly as artwork.

Anyway I don't know much about it but that's where most of the stuff would go. Best all around if the wreck is loaned or donated to a museum or historical society, but that's not always the way such things go.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 10:11 am
That's a neat story.

This Washington Post report has a picture:

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/09/19/PH2008091902328.jpg
0 Replies