Home made egg rolls

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:19 pm
Well, not entirely home made, as I'm not going to do the dough this time.

I don't think I've ever made egg rolls.

I have in my possession ---
egg roll wrappers
scallions
a can of bamboo shoots
a can of water chestnuts
fresh carrots
fresh onion
garlic bulbs
celery
butter lettuce
cucumber
some fresh shrimp, sauteed last evening
a package mung bean threads (cellophane noodles)
some regular green cabbage
soy sauce
oyster sauce
fish sauce
hoisin sauce
rice vinegar
various spices
a jar of pickled ginger
some pickled peppers

Any egg roll experts out there?
I can and will look up recipes online, but I thought I'd try here first, for fun.

ossobuco

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:36 pm
@ossobuco,
forgot to add, chili sesame oil, canola oil, and bean sprouts.

Here's a vietnamese egg roll recipe of some interest..

http://www.recipezaar.com/109399
alex240101

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Good gathering dish. Cook, serve, cook, serve....
Mm. Dipping sauces. Homemade heat.
Different diameters. Anything over an inch in diameter will be good sliced length wise.
ossobuco

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:06 pm
@alex240101,
length wise?
alex240101

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:16 pm
@ossobuco,
"How to Eat an Eggroll" The great household debate.
I like to cut the eggroll in half, lengthwise. Woodruff profile(halfmoon). This allows for optimum sauce vessel- ing. Decent cooling factor too.
My other half(wife) is a dipper. Bite, dip, bite, dip. She states that her way is the proper way.
I do not think there is "a way" to eat an egg roll properly.
I'm glad I got that off my chest.
ossobuco

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:43 pm
@alex240101,
I've never heard of your way, shows how much I know.

just found a good Nuoc Cham recipe.. This I can do...

Nuoc Cham
This delicious dipping sauce is the universal condiment in Vietnam.

2 garlic cloves
1/2 - 1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbs sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tbs nuoc mam (fish sauce)
1/4 cup plus 1 tbs fresh lime juice or rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup water

Crush garlic with red pepper. Add sugar, and pound to a glossy paste. Add fish sauce, lime juice, and water, and stir.
thegalacticemperor

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:16 pm
@ossobuco,
This is a recipe of Emeril's for vegetarian eggrolls:http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-vegetarian-egg-rolls-recipe/index.html
Maybe substitute a couple of your on-hand veggies for the snow peas and go ahead and throw some chopped shrimp in there. I watched him make these on television before trying them myself. My advice: cool the filling before wrapping, make sure it is not soggy, and wrap the filling securely before frying.

Have fun!
ossobuco

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:22 pm
@thegalacticemperor,
Thanks, I will add the shrimp..
I'll try to non-sog, and cool.

Reading, I see - I'll include some of his cooking the cabbage for a short time thing..

Mung bean threads are soaking as we speak so I'll add some of those.

thegalacticemperor

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 08:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Sounds great! Maybe go for the scallions and saute some garlic too. Be sure to so pat your filling dry with paper towels or it's going to be splatter city. By the way, what time are you serving =)
ossobuco

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 08:11 pm
@thegalacticemperor,
the way I'm going, it might be midnight..
yeh, I've cut the scallions, cut the cabbage, cut the cellophane noodles. Need to do some more garlic (there's some in the nuoc cham or whatever you call it. Chopped the shrimp. Cut up a few bamboo shoots (when did I last have bamboo shoots? will I ever buy another can? Stay tuned..) Found a marinated mushroom, chopped that. The sprouts await.

Too bad I'm getting sle e e e p y.

Maybe I'll do these for breakfast.. especially since I'm making a lot, with the idea of freezing most of them.

That's it, I'll do these in the morning.

Time for a meatloaf sammich.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:10 pm
You're way more ambitious than I am. Egg rolls at our house come from the Chinese restaurant down the road a bit.
0 Replies

jespah

Sat 20 Sep, 2008 08:58 am
Ah, eggroll wrappers. They are a great vessel for a lot of different things. When you want to change things up considerably, try putting in leftover mashed potatoes mixed with cumin and sauté. Makes kind of a mock Indian potato knish.

The way I've always made eggrolls is, chop up whatever (making sure meats and anything else that needs to be cooked is already cooked, and anything frozen is already thawed), toss in to fill maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of what you think will fill but not burst it, roll and sauté until golden on either side. Serve with whatever works with the dish. I used to make them more, might get back to making them again as they might be okay to steam (Asian rice paper wrappers are a lot better for steaming; maybe I'll try those).
ossobuco

Sat 20 Sep, 2008 10:34 am
@jespah,
I've studied up on making pots stickers, which involve, usually, some sauteing and some steaming, and use either egg roll wrappers or homemade dough. I do like rice paper wrappers, just don't have any at hand.. for "spring rolls".

I think I may end up baking my egg rolls.. there are some recipes for that. Will report back.
margo

Sat 20 Sep, 2008 04:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Standing by for the tasting!

Think I'll go and get some rice paper rolls from the Vietnamese shop for lunch today....

I'm far too lazy to make them myself!
ossobuco

Sat 20 Sep, 2008 08:28 pm
@margo,
They're baking now.. (400/20 minutes)
I guessed right on the amount of stuffing for one package of egg roll dough squares. Ended up adding - cellophane noodles, a thicket of sprouts, thin sliced bamboo shoots, chopped scallions, one chopped pepperoncino, something like a cup and a half of chopped shrimp, slivered raw carrots, and the aforementioned marinated mushroom, some slightly sauteed thin sliced cabbage.

However they turn out, it was easy.

Next... faux indian potato knishes...
ossobuco

Sun 21 Sep, 2008 09:08 pm
@ossobuco,
verdict -

the stuffing was delicious
the dough wrap, baked, was sort of weird - but ok
the nuoc cham was too sweet by a long shot, but I blame that on the brand of fish sauce.. which had high fructose corn syrup in it (what?). Back to the asian market instead of Albertson's.
ossobuco

Sun 30 Nov, 2008 10:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, this time I fried them with canola.

What, mung bean threads, carrot slivers, cabbage bits, scallion bits, daikon slices, bamboo shoot slices, bits of cheapo ham, a couple of brussel sprouts, slivered.. some pickled ginger. Forget what else.. sort of a refrigerator raid.

I messed up, didn't do the daikon carrot thing until the last two egg rolls.

So, I'm much happier about the slight frying, with the few tbs of canola in the big teflon pan - than I was with my sensible person baked eggroll thing.

ossobuco

Sun 30 Nov, 2008 10:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Emeril, the guy who pumps tomatoes with leather skins to my store?
Not to really diss him - I don't know him. I don't watch tv, including food tv.
I do read a zillion reviews, not so much of tv shows, but of chefs and restaurants, often small restaurants, in many cities.

Anyway, wrap the babies tight.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 1 Dec, 2008 05:24 am
The humble wonton skin may look exotic but it's also the most versatile pasta you can invite into your kitchen. Join Alton Brown as he stuffs and folds and fries and steams and bakes up a mess of good eats out of this Chinese restaurant standard.

Recipes featured in this episode: Perfect Potstickers, Vegetarian Steamed Dumplings, and Pear Walnut Wontons.

ossobuco

Mon 1 Dec, 2008 06:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good links, butrflynet.
0 Replies