The UEFA Champions League: Have your Say

frolic

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 04:53 am
Ronaldo grabbed two goals as Real Madrid came from behind to secure a 4-2 win at home to Marseille at the Bernabeu.
The French club went ahead through Didier Drogba but it lasted barely four minutes as Roberto Carlos equalised from a David Beckham cross.

Ronaldo tapped in from close range to put them ahead after great skill from an in-form Zinedine Zidane and the Brazilian added a second 11 minutes after the break.

Roberto Carlos was brought down in the box for Luis Figo to score a twice-taken penalty to put them 4-1 ahead, before Marseille defender Daniel van Buyten scored an 83rd-minute consolation.

Reigning champions AC Milan began the defence of their European crown with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Ajax at the San Siro.

Filippo Inzaghi carried on his recent fine run of scoring, finding the net after Ajax keeper Bogdan Lobont had failed to hold a powerful shot from strike partner Andriy Shevchenko.

Despite Milan's domination they had Brazilian goalkeeper Dida to thank for denying Rafael van der Vaart an equaliser in stoppage time with a breathtaking one-handed save.

Milan's victory was soured by the late sending-off of midfielder Gennaro Gattuso, who was red-carded for lashing out at Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

In the other Group H game Club Bruges managed a 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo , despite finishing the match with just nine men.
Andres Mendoza was shown the red card after 44 minutes for retaliating against Jose Ignacio and Sandy Martens was sent off a minute from the end for two bookable offences.

Juanfran gave Champions League debutants Celta Vigo the lead after 48 minutes, before Bengt Saeternes equalised for Bruges six minutes from time.

In Group G goals from Jaap Stam and Stefano Fiore earned Lazio a 2-0 win over Turkish champions Besiktas .

For Besiktas it was a case of deja vu as the Romans that proved their conquerors in the Uefa Cup quarter-finals last season.

Stam scored with a header shortly before half-time for his first goal in the Champions League and Fiore ensured the three points with a goal 13 minutes from time.

Partizan Belgrade and FC Porto played out a 1-1 draw in Group F.

Partizan, the first Serbian side to qualify for the group stage of the competition, fell behind when midfielder Francisco Costinha headed in from close range after 21 minutes.

The home side looked livelier after the break and when veteran Ljubinko Drulovic's free-kick fell to striker Andrija Delibasic in the 54th minute he made no mistake.

It was a good night for the three British clubs, who all got off to a winning start.

Manchester United ran out 5-0 winners over Greek side Panathinaikos at Old Trafford.

Mikael Silvestre got the opener after 13 minutes and goals from Quinton Fortune, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Nicky Butt and Eric Djemba-Djemba completed the rout.

Rangers came from behind to record a fine win at home to VfB Stuttgart , with two goals in five minutes from Christian Nerlinger and Peter Lovenkrands.

Chelsea left it late but came away from Sparta Prague with what could be a vital three points thanks to a rare goal from defender William Gallas.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/champions_league/3109038.stm

Last season's beaten finalists Juventus opened their Champions League campaign with a scrappy 2-1 win over Galatasaray. Alessandro del Piero put the home side ahead after just five minutes, with Hakan Sukur levelling for the Turks 15 minutes later. But veteran defender Ciro Ferrara scored the winner from close-range after 73 minutes.

In the other Group D match, Real Sociedad edged past Olympiakos courtesy of a late Darko Kovacevic penalty.

The other Spanish side in action on Wednesday, Deportivo La Coruna , were also taking on Greek opposition as they travelled to Athens.

And they too looked to heading for a 1-0 win when Walter Pandiani gave them a 12th-minute lead.

But AEK hit back to grab a point through Vassilis Tsartas five minutes from the end of normal time.

Also in Group C, Monaco survived a late fightback from PSV Eindhoven to win 2-1 in Holland.

On-loan Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes headed the visitors into the lead after half an hour and they doubled their advantage through Edouard Cisse's precise finish after 55 minutes.

Wilfred Bouma pulled one back for PSV with a stunning free-kick, but Monaco held on to take the points.

In Group B, Diogo Rincon came off the bench to score twice in the last 10 minutes to give Ukrainian side Dynamo Kiev a 2-0 win over Russian rivals Lokomotiv Moscow .

The Brazilian headed home Valentin Belkevich's cross to put the hosts ahead after 83 minutes and he doubled Kiev's advantage when he latched onto another ball from Belkevich and drilled a low shot into the corner.

Inter Milan ran riot in the other game in the group, thrashing Premiership leaders Arsenal 3-0 at Highbury.

All Inter's goals came in the first half with Julio Ricardo Cruz, Andy Van Der Meyde and Obafemi Martins finding the target. Thierry Henry missed a penalty for the Londoners.

A 26th-minute penalty from Juninho Pernambucano gave French side Lyon a 1-0 win over Belgian rivals Anderlecht in Group A.

And Bayern Munich fought back from trailing to a 57th-minute Alan Thompson goal to beat Celtic 2-1, with Roy Makaay getting both the goals for the German giants.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/champions_league/3118088.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,597 • Replies: 7
No top replies

frolic

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 04:54 am
News of the day: Arsenal - Inter 0-3
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:44 am
Just the first games. It will get hotter.

It's a nice surprise to see Partizan hasn't dissappeared.

I felt bad when I learned that one of the teams I admired in my childhood, Uda Dukla, from Czechoslovakia, had dissappeared.
I don't know if the same thing happened to Hungary's legendary team, Ujpest.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:17 pm
fbaezer wrote:
I felt bad when I learned that one of the teams I admired in my childhood, Uda Dukla, from Czechoslovakia, had dissappeared.

Quote:

Dukla Prague was a football club in Prague. The club was formed as the club of the army in 1947 and named A.T.K. in 1953 its name was changed to U.D.A. and in 1956 Dukla in honour of the village of Dukla where Czechs withstood the Germans during the Second World War. By the end of the 1990s the club had merged with Pribram Football Club and become rename Marila Pribram.
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/O2.HTM
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:21 pm
fbaezer wrote:

I don't know if the same thing happened to Hungary's legendary team, Ujpest.

No:
Ujpest
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:22 am
I'm pleased that the Britsish clubs got 3 wins from 5 games. I'd prefer Man U not to win, but Arsenal or Chelsea would be fine! Even the Jocks!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 06:38 am
the champions league, premiership, any of 'em -- not for me. can't stand soccer

I will be watching the Rugby Football World Cup, can't wait, bring it on home
0 Replies

koolplay

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 10:08 am
i was so disappointed the word came that Arsenal was smoked by Inter 0:3,which was lagrely beyond my precious expectation.pray for next match.
now the England Premier League is under the course.it is 0:05 here the first half was just over between Arsenal and Manchester United and the latter takes the host.
see the second half........
0 Replies