need help, computer is messed!

kerver

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 07:03 pm
Hello everyone, I'm having a bit of a problem with my pc. I don't exactly know what happened but windows will no longer boot up. Unfortunatly I don't have the windows millenium boot disc, and well i don't have a clue how to get it running without it. I've tryed restarting it and stuff but doesn't help. Just keeps saying there'san error. So if anybody could help me out or try to help me out I would muchly appreciate it. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,069 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 07:32 pm
My old ME didn't even come with a boot disc, which may be why you can't find yours. They instruct you to make a "Recovery Disk", which serves as your boot disk. If you have that, you should be in business; otherwise, you may be out of luck.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:15 pm
how far does it get and what does the error say?
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:48 pm
I can't remember what the error is, but i will find out next time i'm at my house. I have to use my friends pc for now. But the screen turns blue, tells me to restart or boot the pc because it may not have enough memory or something to start.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:36 pm
It's just a rough estimate, but I'd say there are about a zillion possibilities of what's wrong. Smile Posting the exact message and details of anything that lead up to the problem would narrow it down quite a bit.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:05 am
does anyone know where i could possibly download a copy of a boot disc from?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:28 am
Here ya go...

www.pchelplive.com

From there log in with with the following account I just created for anyone who wants to use it..

Nickname: bootdisks
Password: password

then go to the downloads page and click 'Windows Boot Disks' in the bottom right. From there you can get a copy of the boot disk that came with everything from DOS 5 to WinXP.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:32 am
Hey Monger, thanks alot. I'll try this out. Big big thank you.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:46 am
I'm gonna go home and try this right now.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 01:23 pm
ok, well here r the exact messages i get from my pc:

First one is a blue screen titled "windows" and says:
An error occured. TO continue:
Press Enter to return to windows, or
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart your computer. If you do this, you will lose any unsaved information in all open applications.

Error: 0D : 05CF : 00000B4F

Then when i try to boot it it says:
Windows was unable to process the registry this may be fixed by rebooting to command prompt only and running SCANREG/FIX.
Other wise there may not be enough memory to properly load the registry.

SO if anyone has any advise on what i may be able to do now, please do so, thanks.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 03:13 pm
so did you try "rebooting to command prompt only and running SCANREG/FIX."?
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 04:39 pm
lol...well I would if I could. Unfortunatly I don't understand that part of the computer language. I'm usually pretty good with them, but this seems greek to me.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:17 pm
use a boot disc to get to a "c:\"
then "scanreg /fix"

does the error occur before the windows logo comes up? if so you can press F8 before the logo appears to bring up a menu that will get you to a "c:\"
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:30 pm
ok, thanks, i will try that.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:39 pm
I couldn't get to c:/, but this new message is telling me to boot from ATAPI CD ROM, says put the system disc in and press Enter. Well i don't have a system disc, and I tried using the boot discs i downloaded from the site monger suggested, and well they didn't work. So then I tried installing windows xp, but it said it couldnt finish setup because it couldn't find my hard drive. AAAHHH<-----screams. I think i will have to take my pc to a pro! But if u do have any other suggestion......
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 09:26 pm
If the computer just stopped recognizing your Hard Drive altogether, you should try making sure the connections inside are tight, try connecting the HD to another computer & see if it's readable there, and if neither idea works try replacing the HD controller (the circuit board on the bottom of the hard drive). If it's still not seeing your HD after that there's a good chance you'll never see your data again.

If the computer at least knows the hard drive is there, there are a number of other things you could try.
0 Replies