The Edit Function on A2K

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:03 am
On the old A2K, a member could edit a post, as long as no one had added to the thread. I have noticed that on the new A2K I seem to be able to edit only for a short time, even though there were no new posts after mine.

For instance, today I wrote a post. Naturally, I found a number of typos, and corrected them. I went on to something else, and then remembered something that I wanted to add to the post. Even though mine was still the last post on the thread, the "edit" button was gone. What's the scoop?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:15 am
@Phoenix32890,
Not that I know the answer, just a guess: editing has always taken up a lot of site speed (I made up those words) and they've cut the option down to make the whole site run more smoothly. I'm not sure of the timing, but I'm guessing it's like 3 or 4 minutes.

I'll wait with you to see if that's the answer or I'm talking through my hat.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:17 am
@Phoenix32890,
Also, I wonder whether we can edit our choice of font for another font ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:22 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
On the old A2K, a member could edit a post, as long as no one had added to the thread. I have noticed that on the new A2K I seem to be able to edit only for a short time, even though there were no new posts after mine.

Quote:
For instance, today I wrote a post. Naturally, I found a number of typos, and corrected them. I went on to something else, and then remembered something that I wanted to add to the post. Even though mine was still the last post on the thread, the "edit" button was gone. What's the scoop?

(In case u don 't get satisfaction) I remember something I used to do on Abuzz
was to write: "Erratum" or "Errata" A + B = C
shoud be A + D = C
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
in preferences you can select either serif or sans-serif, as well as normal or large text height...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:36 am
@Region Philbis,
Thank u, sir.
I just did that; very satisfactory.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:01 am
@Phoenix32890,
Yes, Phoenix..my sympathies...as was written before - I believe that certain speed-efficiency programming considerations were made on new interface to allow for better throughput of data. The new A2k timer times out on a post after about 3-5 minutes. I am the king of re-editing so I empathize here.

By the way, the other day I discovered use of the BBCode editor function located at the upper left side in light green font type(bad color choice as it disappears too easily).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:11 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Yes, Phoenix..my sympathies...as was written before - I believe that certain speed-efficiency programming considerations were made on new interface to allow for better throughput of data. The new A2k timer times out on a post after about 3-5 minutes. I am the king of re-editing so I empathize here.

By the way, the other day I discovered use of the BBCode editor
function located at the upper left side in light green font type
(bad color choice as it disappears too easily).

Is that one functionally the same
or different than the one that times out in 3 to 5 minutes ?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:18 am
@Ragman,
I don't mind that one, Ragman, though I can understand.. I have a similar mini-whine about the words top and end by the scroll bar. I don't mine their size, but wish they were in black, for my particular eyes. (In contrast, I love the signature being in light green.)

However, I think the plan now is that the administrator hamsters will not be spending their time reading threads of stuff on the use of a2k.. that if we have specific wishes, we should direct that to the help desk (via 'contact us' at the bottom of the page).
Ragman

@OmSigDAVID,
I'm not clear about what you're asking; however, I'll answer this way - that the BBCCode editor function and the timer are related in that after the timer times out, you can no longer edit. Within the limits of an currently active sesssion, you can edit to heart's content.

I hope that helps.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

@Region Philbis,
In the BB code Editor, you can go from "tiny" to "huge", just like in the old days.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:21 am
@Phoenix32890,
right.
the font setting preference allows you to change the appearance of all posts, not just your own...
Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:21 am
@ossobuco,
Tnx (and hi) Osso. I was just writing to answer OmsigDavid the best that I could. It was not directed towards A2K hamsters...actually.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:24 am
@Ragman,
Right, Ragman, and hi! too.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:07 am
@Region Philbis,
Aha! I would suspect that if a person has poor vision, being able to see everything in large type would be very helpful!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:14 am
@Phoenix32890,
Well, I gather you can change the size now in preferences (haven't checked) and I've always been able to change it on my browser, at least per a2k connection.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:15 am
@Phoenix32890,
I join in your suspicion,
tho I have been repeatedly denounced (emotionally so)
for using large fonts to emfasize some concepts
as distinct over others within my sentence structure.

David
0 Replies