Canned Trout/ Why Aren't they Processed for Humans?

CalamityJane

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 05:14 pm
I love to eat smoked trout, and the ones the germandeli.com offers is quite
good actually. The smoked mackerels are good too.... actually I like smoked
fish in general. Smoked salmon over spaghetti with capers....I am hungry now!!!
hamburger

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 08:21 am
@CalamityJane,
to cj :

bon appetite - guten appetit - eet smakelijk !
hbg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 09:16 am
Quote:
Market Information:
After tuna, sardines are the most popular canned fish product in the United States [Johnson,
2001]. Fresh sardines are once again becoming popular in West Coast fish markets [Johnson,
2002]. However, consumer demand is still much reduced, compared to consumer demand for
sardines during the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s [Wolf et al., 2001]. It appears that the collapse of
the fishery, coupled with the rising availability of fresh and fresh-frozen fish since 1950, has
limited the domestic market for canned sardine products [Wolf et al., 2001]. Currently, the
California Department of Fish and Game considers the sardine resource underutilized [Wolf et
al., 2001].
Most of the Pacific sardine now caught in U.S. fisheries is “low-value, high-volume” product
[PFMC,2003b] frozen and exported to Australia for feeding penned tuna [PFMC,2003b] or to
Japan for use as bait fish [Hill, 2003]. Some of the catch is also exported as frozen blocks to
Brazil and other nations, where the fish are canned and sold for local human consumption [Hill
2003; PFMC,2003b]. Much smaller amounts of sardine are taken for high-value markets,
including : live bait sold to recreational anglers; fresh fish for domestic consumption or import;
and fresh fish for use in domestic canneries

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/content/media/MBA_SeafoodWatch_PacificSardineReport.pdf

Certainly there are wide global differences in the amount of fish, and the type of fish eaten. For instance, I once worked with a Korean girl who would on her break eat little dried fish, of the type that a few Americans would feed their dog.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 09:39 am
@hawkeye10,
Well, we don't get Pacific sradines here but only the European or the Spanish sardine.
And those are mostly canned.

The trout - coming back to the original question - is a fresh water fish here, brown trout as original fish, rainbow trout introduced in 19th century.
Trout ponds are common here since the medieval ages - we have about eight here within a circle of 10 miles, three can be used by anyone.

And that is - in my opinion - the main reason that trout isn't canned: literally everyone knows someone, who smokes trouts (or you get them from the pond owners).
0 Replies

hamburger

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:29 am
@hawkeye10,
hawk wrote :

Quote:
For instance, I once worked with a Korean girl who would on her break eat little dried fish, of the type that a few Americans would feed their dog.

in northern germany one can still find "airdried plaice - a kind of sole" in many of the old-style restaurants .
it goes back to the olden days when fish couldn't be frozen for the off-season . some kids would bring them to school for a lunchtime snack - now it's potato or corn chips , same difference perhaps .
many nations still consume quite a bit of dried fish - portugal being a good example .
hbg

here dried plaice is sold with beer - somewhat like pretzels in bavaria and peanuts in america .

http://www.finkenwerderspeck.de/images/genuss/richtig_small.jpg

and here the (in)famous portuguese "bacalhau" - a stew with dried cod , tripe and other goodies ... ...
Shocked Laughing

http://photos.igougo.com/images/p189341-Portugal-Cow_Tripe_Stew.jpg

i think this makes a fine cooking thread
ehBeth

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:07 pm
@hamburger,
just came back from Dollarama - canned sardines, canned herring and canned tuna were on offer - and in people's carts

mebbe it's particularly a trait of Canajuns and the large immigrant population - lots of canned fish around here

(I particularly like the little cans of tuna with satay sauce)
0 Replies

Reyn

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 04:02 pm
My wife makes delicious tuna fish sandwiches. Once in a while, I enjoy sardines, either packed in water or tomato sauce.

I used to eat the Norwegian bristling ones, but here the price has become prohibitive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:03 pm
@hamburger,
I'll raise you one Pasta con le Sarde recipe from Epicurious.com..

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/SICILIAN-STYLE-PASTA-WITH-SARDINES-106272

Here's a food blog (just what I need, another one) with some descriptions and photos of Linguine con le Sarde..
http://www.lastnightsdinner.net/category/sardines/

The recipe I'd use is Marcella Hazan's in her Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking.. but I don't feel like typing out the recipe right now. She naturally prefers fresh sardines, but includes substitution of two cans of sardines as a possibility.

0 Replies

kamiam

Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:38 pm
@CalamityJane,
when i was in nyc I found canned trout, from Portugual - I will try to find the name
0 Replies

Tinoma

Tue 22 Dec, 2009 10:30 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I get it from Trader joes. They import it from German fish farms. They have both regular and smoked.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 5 Mar, 2010 11:52 pm
OK, so Trader Joe's has a new store near me. I shopped there years ago when we lived in Arizona and California, but have not for awhile.

I picked up a can of smoked trout, thinking at the time about this a2k thread. I just ate it. Damn, that was good.
Phoenix32890

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 04:12 am
@hawkeye10,
I don't think that the trout that I bought was smoked. Nevertheless, I will scout around the Trader Joe's website, and see what I an come up with.
CalamityJane

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 10:50 am
I've once bought the smoked trout at Trader Joe's just to test if it's any good -
it's really good and I buy several cans a week now - even the dog likes it! Laughing
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 04:17 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
I don't think that the trout that I bought was smoked. Nevertheless, I will scout around the Trader Joe's website, and see what I an come up with.

I read in this thread or somewhere else that TJ has both smoked and non smoked, though I only saw smoked on the shelf of this store.
0 Replies

Joslech

Thu 17 Jul, 2014 01:17 pm
Best canned smoked trout is Cole's. Can get at whole foods or sunset foods. About $5.80 a can
0 Replies