Trout Fishing Question

Dartboy

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 04:23 am
I go fishing at sea or off a wharf, have never been trout fishing before for the record. I know that you go fly fishing to catch trout but was wondering if I could use a hook and bait? like out at sea.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,035 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 05:12 am
Yep hunni - you can use hook at bait for trout - coarse fishing. My son doesnt fly fish but has caught a fair few trout river and lake fishing.

Good Luck mate.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 05:28 am
Up here in tye ARctic, we fish "Sinkhole springs" in the winter. Trout always take a bait during this time. We look for a spring in a limestone river and , using salmon eggs or bits of earthworm we make a rig with two split shots, a swivel and small hook. WE use a PEnn "noodling reel " with an open bailer. It s a very small spinning outfit with a carbon pole. Lots of action on the rod, not too bendy like a fiberglas one and you can aim wherever you want. I also use these rods in small streams with native trout.

Fly fishing is ok but it requires too much open area to keep from tangling and around here we have many streams with close brush and snags along the banks.
The last time I even went fly fishing was up in CAnada a few years ago, and we were fishing for grayling.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:10 am
http://www.trout-net.co.uk/html/worm_fishing_for_trout.html

Maybe take a look at this. Maybe of some help Smile
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:52 am
I've fished for trout for years and it all depends on where and when. As farmerman said, early in the season after the ice goes out they'll hit on pretty much anything you throw at them. I've used salmon eggs, worms, spinner baits, flies, shinners, etc... They all work. As the season progresses and the water warms they tend to get a little pickier (there tends to be more natural food sources for them so they can afford to be) and I switch over to flies.

The only thing that I've found that seems to hold true regardless of where or when I've fished for trout is that "smaller is better" as far as lures and hooks go. A 3" lure is pretty much useless compared to a 3/4" lure. When I use salmon eggs I use a hook that will just hold one egg and allows the entire hook to be conceled within the egg.
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:18 am
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the answers, they have been a help, I actually went troutfishing today but without the hook, bait or rod but with a spear. I have to truly say that I found it hard, I've pulled in 15kg groppers, snappers but I found the trout a hard enemy. Its funny though because I got the spear about an inch away and it did nothing but as soon as you hit it fights like hell and if you don't hook it well it wiggles off, out of 10 trout I only got 1 =.= I don't think I did to bad for my first time. Next time hopefully ill get 10 out of 10
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 06:22 am
Sounds to me you did great mate. Well done you. Smile

Whereabouts did you do your fishing this time?

Let us know how you get on next time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 09:48 am
Our state laws only permit bow and spear fishing for "Trash fish" like carp, and special reg fishing for gar, suckers, and buffalofish with bow, and gig(these special reg fishing are for specific waters like the Little Susquehanna, Juniata, and Youghiogeny). Frogs are often giged but I dont even know whether thats considered hunting or fishing
0 Replies