Canned Trout/ Why Aren't they Processed for Humans?

ossobuco

Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:02 pm
@hamburger,
acciughe...
0 Replies

hamburger

Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawk wrote :

Quote:
Kindly bring facts with you if you want to argue that I am wrong.

reyn and i are NOT arguing with you . we are simple telling you that there are plenty of canned fish in the supermarkets in B.C. and ontario .
just visit one of the supermarkets in our area and you can SEE the facts with your own eyes .
no intention of arguing over canned fish .
hbg
Rockhead

Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:52 pm
@hamburger,
Hawk's phaser is always set to "max stun" hbg...

He is still growing into his A2K skin, (mebbe)
0 Replies

Reyn

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:06 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Americans eat on average 3 oz of canned sardines per year....I stand by my comment that they are out of favor

In your previous post, you did not specify that you were talking about Americans, re the comment about canned fish falling out of favour. So, how about holstering the shirty comment about bringing facts to the table, okay pal? after all, this is not the political forum here.

As Hmg says:
hamburger wrote:

hawk wrote :

Quote:

reyn and i are NOT arguing with you . we are simple telling you that there are plenty of canned fish in the supermarkets in B.C. and ontario .
just visit one of the supermarkets in our area and you can SEE the facts with your own eyes .
no intention of arguing over canned fish .

I have no interest in arguing with you in any event. Talk about a useless activity.

hawkeye10

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:50 am
@Reyn,
if in the future you decide to attempt to argue your point of view, be aware that anecdotal evidence does not have the value that the results of systemized study do. If I sound a bit pissy it is because people who spout off opinions but who can't back them up and/or don't know how to debate annoy me. THere is no longer a political forum, Craven rubbed the rooms out, so those of use who have serious opinions no longer have a place to go to keep away those who don't. Likewise those who want to play games no longer have a place to congregate away from people who like to argue and who demand facts and argument in support of opinions.
JustBrooke

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:37 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

If I sound a bit pissy it is because people who spout off opinions but who can't back them up and/or don't know how to debate annoy me. THere is no longer a political forum, Craven rubbed the rooms out, so those of use who have serious opinions no longer have a place to go to keep away those who don't. Likewise those who want to play games no longer have a place to congregate away from people who like to argue and who demand facts and argument in support of opinions.

Your invariable whinning about the forum has long grown stale. Instead of bitching......LEAVE if you don't like it.

Or better yet, why don't you take about a 1,000 bottles of valium and go lay your dumb ass down.
hawkeye10

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:47 am
@JustBrooke,
You are of course another one who seems to think that anecdotal evidence = results of study, considering the tread we were on together last week.
JustBrooke

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:53 am
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye........last week wasn't even worth a response to your reply. All I did was make a comment on your stupid comment that women don't wanna work as many hours as men. If you wish to talk about women....do not make your statement such that you include all women.

Now.....**** off
0 Replies

Joeblow

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:30 am
@hawkeye10,
If you sound a bit pissy?

You didn’t offer up stats about the American consumption of Sardines when you said that canned fish fell out of favour “decades ago.” You actually prefaced that statement by saying

(re: Canned Trout)
Quote:
I am going to guess that it was because there was no market for them.

You then declared that eating canned fish around others is socially unacceptable and asserted that Sardines were difficult to find sometimes.

Reyn politely “begged to differ” re your unsupported statements regarding declining consumption and shared his observations and Canadian perspective (which he identified as such).

Now you're giving pointers for debating?

Not everyone who responds to you conversationally is sneering at you or attempting to engage in a debate hawkeye.

Please accept this post as encouragement to read most posts with a friendly eye instead of assuming that most posts are a personal challenge, or snarky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phoenix, I’ve never spotted canned trout anywhere, though I’ll have a look locally the next few times I’m out. Like Hawkeye and others I guess it must be a demand issue. I recently lost my favourite hairspray of years for the same reason I presume " just not enough folk were buying it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for the general decline in canned food consumption, if that is so, I suspect it might have to do with concerns about mercury consumption.
Phoenix32890

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:56 am
@hawkeye10,
All this sturm und drang about fish, for heavens sake! I can imagine the brouhaha if the subject were something serious, like sex! Laughing
hawkeye10

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:00 am
@Phoenix32890,
this conflict has been building for weeks, it was going to happen someplace. It is on a fish thread by chance only.

But ya......
0 Replies

Reyn

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:07 am
@Joeblow,
Thank you Joe for for your very well written post explaining the situation to our dear debater. After all, he did say:

hawkeye10 wrote:

I am going to guess that it was because there was no market for them. Canned fish fell out of favor decades ago, it is socially unacceptable to eat the stuff around others because of the stink for one thing. Sardines are even difficult to find sometimes, and they once were very popular.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, nowhere did this gentleman point out that he was only referring to American consumers, which he subsequently mentions in a followup comment.

Either way, I stand by my initial comments that in B.C., Canada grocery stores, canned fish has not fallen out of favour, and, furthermore, sardines are as easy to find as Big Macs here. I have no intentions as to saying that I know anything about what my American neighbors may, or may not, be up to at any given point in time.

All right?

---------------------

That Phoenix, she's the cause of all this stuff. What a trouble-maker writing a thread about canned fish. Sheesh! Wink Laughing
ossobuco

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:15 am
@Reyn,
Anecdotally (ahem), I'll say I buy plenty of cans of sardines. They're good for you. Should you wish data on that, look it up. I usually put them in a fish soup, recipe varying each time. I'm also inclined to try them one day as ehBeth does, putting mashed sardines on something like pumpernickel or rye sunflower bread, perhaps with a schmear of cream cheese.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:32 am
@Reyn,
Quote:
That Phoenix, she's the cause of all this stuff. What a trouble-maker writing a thread about canned fish. Sheesh!

You think that's all the trouble that I have? Ever try to buy a jar of Manishewitz Sweet Whitefish & Pike on the west coast of Florida? I went so far as to order a case of them online, and I got an E Mail that they were out of the fish, and had to order them from the manufacturer. Now THAT'S trouble!
hamburger

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:54 pm
@Phoenix32890,
phoenix wrote :

Quote:
You think that's all the trouble that I have? Ever try to buy a jar of Manishewitz Sweet Whitefish & Pike on the west coast of Florida? I went so far as to order a case of them online, and I got an E Mail that they were out of the fish, and had to order them from the manufacturer. Now THAT'S trouble!

phoenix :

of course , you know that it's all YOUR OWN fault that there isn't enough Manishewitz Sweet Whitefish & Pike on the shelves .
you either eat too much of it - and empty the shelves - or
you don't eat enough of it - so they don't restock it !

now , we have plenty of pike in the backlakes here . as for whitefish , i recall that we bought smoked whitefish in WAWA - northern ontario - where plenty of finnish immigrants live - smoked whitefish : delish !
btw i remember we had wonderful smoked whitefish at PUMPERNIK'S in miami beach .
just trying to help along the conversation ... ... , wouldn't want this thread to peter out to nothingness ... Laughing
hbg

here it is - a postcard from 1958 - we were there in october 1966 , just before a hurrican made landfall - it was our first trip south .

http://www.bombago.com/051004/~max0005.jpg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 02:06 pm
Well ya know, I guess I'm behind the times because for me canned fish conjures up images of tuna or salmon, both of which we love. We used to buy sardines but our dinner guests got tired of those (and the weiners and saurkraut) so we thought we might ought to vary the guest fare. (Just kidding).

I bought some canned mackeral once because it was so much cheaper than tuna. It was gross. Fed it to the cat who also thought it was gross.

Bought some canned octupus and squid and, without labels or comment, served it to a group of good friends at the house one night. (Everybody had contributed lots of other snacks too.) Nobody said anything but most of it was still there when the gathering broke up which I took to be a negative vote. Smile (Our son, a teenager at the time, finished it all off though when he came home from work late that night.)

But seriously, if you have tuna and salmon, what else fishy in a can do you need?

ossobuco

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 04:48 pm
@Foxfyre,
Fox, I think sardines and maybe mackeral have vitamins or oils that tuna and salmon don't, maybe more omega 3's, whatever. I virtually always like fresh fish better, given it's really fresh, but I don't own the bank. Though I'm pretty happy with canned tuna sandwiches and a concoction I make out of good canned tuna, olive oil, basil, and cannellini beans, usually canned.

My mother used to make salmon loaf out of, I think, canned red salmon, and something about that taste eventually got to me. I did buy a small can of pink salmon recently and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't awful.

All of which reminds me that I used to like fish cakes.. and that would be a way to stretch a small amount of fresh fish. Hmmm.

Gelson's, a high end market in the LA area, used to make fresh fish sausages (sunfish? sole?), probably from scraps of fresh sole, that were terrifically delicious with, say, a thin spaghetti. Have never seen fish sausage since. Waaaah. But I used to un-case the fish sausages, so, I'm thinking, I could play around with making fish balls one of these days.
hamburger

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
HEALTH FOOD - yes , sardines are very healthy !

http://www.millionairefish.com/sardines.asp

Quote:
The Miracle of Omega 3

Sardines are an important source of Omega3 fatty acids, which combat hardening of the arteries among other extraordinary health benefits. In The Omega Plan (Toronto: HarperCollins, 1998), Artemis P. Simopoulos, M.D. and Jo Robinson advise, "Don't overlook sardines... They contain the most omega-3 fatty acids of all the fatty fish... Look for those packed in olive oil, canola oil, mustard, or tomato sauce." That's how Millionnaires sardines are processed (and there's also a water-packed product). Because they're pressure cooked, their shelf life in the tin is virtually unlimited. Remember too that oils present in sardines are polyunsaturated - very high in "good" cholesterol.

so don't worry about a little fishy smell - they still are a healthy food !
hbg
ehBeth

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 05:07 pm
@hamburger,
brendalee and I were at the nofrills today. Went past the canned fish area. I tried to count all the varieties available. At least 30 variations on canned tuna (probably closer to 40), about a dozen variations on canned salmon, over 30 variations of canned sardines, about 20 versions of canned mackerel, another 30 or 40 types of fish that I didn't know (my Portuguese and Chinese isn't very good).

I can't imagine going to a lunch meeting at work where salmon and tuna sandwiches weren't on the platter. They're the only things a lot of people here eat - don't like beef, egg is stinky (or so they say), "are you kidding, roasted vegetables?".

I'm gonna try to sneak my camera into the nofrills next time - the sign says "no cameras", but I'm gonna try ...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 05:13 pm
@hamburger,
I don't wanna eat sardines. Sad
0 Replies