IOUSA documentary film: Wake up, America! We're on the brink of a financial meltdown

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:36 am
IOUSA - ABOUT THE FILM

Wake up, America! We're on the brink of a financial meltdown. I.O.U.S.A. boldly examines the rapidly growing national debt and its consequences for the United States and its citizens. Burdened with an ever-expanding government and military, increased international competition, overextended entitlement programs, and debts to foreign countries that are becoming impossible to honor, America must mend its spendthrift ways or face an economic disaster of epic proportions.

Throughout history, the American government has found it nearly impossible to spend only what has been raised through taxes. Wielding candid interviews with both average American taxpayers and government officials, Sundance veteran Patrick Creadon (Wordplay) helps demystify the nation's financial practices and policies. The film follows former U.S. Comptroller General David Walker as he crisscrosses the country explaining America's unsustainable fiscal policies to its citizens.

With surgical precision, Creadon interweaves archival footage and economic data to paint a vivid and alarming profile of America's current economic situation. The ultimate power of I.O.U.S.A. is that the film moves beyond doomsday rhetoric to proffer potential financial scenarios and propose solutions about how we can recreate a fiscally sound nation for future generations.

Creadon uses candid interviews and his featured subjects include Warren Buffett, Alan Greenspan, Paul O'Neill, Robert Rubin, and Paul Volcker, along with the Peter G. Peterson Foundation's own David Walker and Bob Bixby of the Concord Coalition, a Foundation grantee.

Pointedly topical and consummately nonpartisan, I.O.U.S.A. drives home the message that the only time for America's financial future is now.

http://www.iousathemovie.com/about/

One person's caution opinion about the film:

I have concerns about the backers of the IOUSA film. I found this article very interesting, but a huge red flag was raised when under the list of websites to "join in the fight" when Peterson's name was listed. It is most disturbing. Peter G. Peterson co-founded The Blackstone Group with Skull and Bones (and Bush Ranger) Stephen Schwarzman. Peterson, in addition to being Chairman of the Board for the Council on Foreign Relations, also has strong ties to Henry Kissinger. Not to mention that Blackstone Group lists among it's few Board Members, Lord Nathaniel C. Jacob Rothschild.

Will someone please tell me how people like this "care about the little people?" One suggestion I have heard is that these people have presented the "little people" with a film about the hardships coming our way in order to brace us for TPTB's plan to eliminate all forms of public assistance (Medicare, Social Security, Pensions). They are going to blame it on the "economy", but eliminating these programs have been a dream of theirs for decades.

Long comprehensive article about the condition of the U.S. economy:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/92303-looming-financial-catastrophe-a-real-inconvenient-truth?source=d_email
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,121 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:20 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Thanks for posting this BBB.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:57 pm
@Lightwizard,
Hi Lightw, long time no see.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:04 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
thanks BBB !

Quote:
The film follows former U.S. Comptroller General David Walker as he crisscrosses the country explaining America's unsustainable fiscal policies to its citizens.

the former CG was interviewed on MSNBC's "morning call" recently .
i'm glad you provided the link .
since canada's economy is so intertwined with the economy of the U.S. , canadians are pretty anxious whenever the american elephant even twitches !
we try to avoid being squashed !
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:43 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Looks like it should have been required watching in Washington a few years ago.
0 Replies