Tlayuda ('mexican pizza')

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:25 am
This is new to me, and sounds good - have you made this, what variations do you use?

Recipe from the Bitten blog by Mark Bittman, from the Recipes of the Day -
http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/05/recipe-of-the-day-tlayuda-with-black-bean-puree/

Click onto the link to see followup comments, which are sometimes as interesting as the recipes.

September 5, 2008, 12:02 pm

Recipe of the Day: Tlayuda With Black Bean Purée
September 5, 2008, 12:02 pm

Tlayuda, a specialty in Oaxaca, Mexico, is a baked flatbread, its base a large tortilla, usually corn. I’ve seen the tortilla topped with pork fat, thin-sliced roasted pork or crumbled or sliced chorizo, but the topping you see on almost every tlayuda is a black bean purée.

Tlayuda With Black Bean Purée
Yield 4 to 8 servings
Time 30 minutes

Top these Mexican pizzas with whatever you like: cheese and chopped cabbage are the most common and simplest toppings, though you can use meat, onion, cilantro and so on. Bear in mind that the cooking time is so short that nothing will cook much, so you want to use small pieces and, in the case of meat, probably items (like chorizo or roasted pork) that have been precooked.

Ingredients
2 cups cooked or canned black beans, drained, liquid reserved
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 small onion, minced
1 teaspoon mild chili powder, like New Mexico or ancho, or to taste
1 tablespoon cumin, or to taste
2 large (12-inch) tortillas, preferably corn
1 cup chopped quesillo (Mexican string cheese) or mozzarella; or use a crumbly cheese like queso fresco, slightly dried goat cheese or feta
Rounds of chorizo or other sausage, optional
1 cup chopped cabbage

Method
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If using dried beans, add salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder and cumin in the last few minutes of cooking. Drain and reserve liquid. Carefully place mixture in a blender or food processor with enough bean liquid to allow machine to do its work and roughly purée, leaving the mixture a bit chunky. If using canned beans, add seasonings and warm mixture gently in a saucepan, stirring, just to take the edge off the garlic and onion. Then roughly purée.
2. Place 1 tortilla on pizza peel or baking sheet and spread half the bean mixture on it; top with half the cheese and half the meat, if using it. Bake (on pizza stone, if using) for about 5 minutes, then sprinkle with half the cabbage. Bake another 5 minutes or so, until topping is hot and tortilla crisp on edges. Serve, cut into wedges, then repeat with other tortilla.

Source: The New York Times

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:26 am
@ossobuco,
Replying to self, I have to look up 'mexican flatbread' and see if this is ever other than a tortilla...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Ooh, sounds yummy. The chorizo or pork both sound wonderful as toppings, but the simpler beans and cabbage sounds great.

BTW, are you thinking of coming over for dinner? I can provide the beer...

Hint, hint...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I always find chorizo to be way too fatty. I'll only eat it if a german butcher makes it. LOL!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:30 pm
@cjhsa,
I'm not a chorizo connoisseur - but we do have a good local butcher shop here that carries it, plus the Ranch Market, but haven't been there lately.

Diane, I went crazy at Smiths.. so I have more adobo burritos, a soy broth braised and then hot roasted chicken, and some egg rolls to concoct first. By then it will be October..

I could short circuit those and do the clam sauce thing...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:25 pm
May I have my say?

Tlayudas are very big tortillas, from Oaxaca. They come with refried beans topping, cilantro and sauce (red or green). That's it.

Now...
Pepper?
Chorizo?
Mozzarella or feta?

You really want to kill that tlayuda.
---

A Mexican Pizza, at least in Mexico, is an Italian pizza with chorizo & green chile topping, instead of minced meat. Sometimes it has beans, too. I find it not to my liking.

--

There, go ahead with your culinary experiments.
Diane

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:46 pm
@fbaezer,
Fbaezer, I read an article about an effort by Mexico to educate Americans on what real Mexican food is. Even Mexicans here are so used to the burritos, enchiladas and nachos (Taco Bell food), that they have forgotten many of the old recipes.

Jo makes the best Italian pizza, without sauce, I've ever had, so as long as she keeps cooking, I'll be happy to stick with that.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:51 pm
@Diane,
I survive off authentic carnitas tacos from a trailer 'bout 2 miles from the shop...

(cilantro...)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:56 pm
@Rockhead,
And the taco trucks are newly ok in east LA, no kidding. Might have been about thirty days ago. Have had threads on that.

Fb, I'm not the enemy - I'm exploring.

Straighten me out, il mio piccolo (whatever, I can forget in two languages).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:01 pm
@fbaezer,
OK, baez, I get you're irritated.

Yell at me more usefully - with explanation.

J
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, shut up, and ok..

I do sort of get it already,

do not assume we are here to obliterate food, the remnant fostered from afar.

really, I'm just plain interested.

I don't mind hearing ugly stuff. Rather hear that than not.

fbaezer

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not irritated at all.
All I meant to say is that tlayudas -any recipee- are not "Mexican pizza", just as tortillas aren't "Mexican hot-cakes".
Fusion food is fusion food. Some of it is very good. Fusion.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:58 pm
@fbaezer,
I like the authentic...

i do carnitas tacos with "everyting" twice a week.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 10:01 pm
@fbaezer,
Would you be interested in hosting a thread with 'real' mexican recipes? Would chicken mole count? How about lime soup?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 10:02 pm
@fbaezer,
Ok, I get you. I sort of cringed at that too, but it was in the article. And the article probably used it like I did in following it, to pick up interest in the thread with the title. ... even why I had apostrophes around the words mexican pizza, that qualm.

Memories of trying to make a thread about sfinciuni.. (I already forget the spelling).

I don't hate all fusion fooling around, but tend to be more interested in the original cooking.. whatever country/region.
0 Replies

icook

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:22 pm
I have been making tlayuda for years, this is the first time I ever heard it being "named". I just told my kids that if Mexicans invented pizza it would look like what I made. I never add any meat to it. I put on a good layer of the bean paste, fresh tomato that's been peeled seeded and chopped, and a sprinkling of cheese. To buck up the protein content I sometimes add chunks of salsa marinated tofu. Sometimes I even do this on regular pizza dough too, not only on tortillas. Dang, I though I was the only one Smile
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:27 pm
@icook,
Aha! Tofu! (teasing you....)

On the original, I expect to like it, I like cabbage. We'll see...
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Welcome to a2k, by the way, icook.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 04:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I just found your post. I read Mark Bitten's blog almost every day but I missed this one. I will make the simplest form of this...I hope to find the larger tortillas in some of the hispanic food shops here.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 10:58 am
I don't recall seeing a very large tortilla in southern Mexico. In Chiapas and, I think, Oaxaca, they may be fat (gorditas) but usually small and always of Corn, never of flour. And the beans are almost always black (at least in Chiapas). In the northern border states, tortillas are often very large and almost always of flour and served with mashed (I hate the term "puried", can't say why) pinto beans.
0 Replies