littlek

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:11 pm
My sister's company has a big IT section. Their manager sent this info around to his co-workers and she sent it to me. Figure it's worth posting as it has a the virus name(s) and a link to a fix if you do download it by accident.
Quote:

I don’t mean to clog up your inboxes with spam, but a new virus is making the rounds that looks like free antivirus software and it’s tenacious. It’s called "Antivirus XP 2008" and "XP Antivirus 2009”. (There are going to be dozens of variants of these names, but you get the idea).

What makes this one different is its completely professional look. It is really slick, looks just like a legitimate program, and even integrates itself into Windows Security Center just like Symantec et al. Plus nothing is detecting it as a virus yet, except for the new antivirus program we will be deploying soon here at AIRINC, once testing is complete.

So, if you would like recommendations for free anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall or any other computer security programs, email us and we’ll give you some. Or, see the postscript below.

If you’ve already installed this "Antivirus XP 2008" on your home computer, download the free trial of Sunbelt Software’s Vipre. [http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/VIPRE/] to remove it or reinstall your Windows system.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,574 • Replies: 4
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:47 pm
Thanks, littlek, but I don't download other anti-virus software except updates from Norton and HP. Good that you're sharing this info, because I read recently that virus' are coming back now to even Apple computers.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:55 pm
Another update: I also read that new software attacks anti-virus software to embed virus'. Your alert comes at a good time.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 04:04 pm
@littlek,
Sounds like a variation of the same scum that got a colleague’s computer awhile back. I wrote about it HERE. I highly recommend anyone who gets any related scum ware, that can't be fixed by Norton, McAffee, AVG or Spybot simply Google the suspected name of the infection with "bleeping computer." They're removal instructions were as simple as they were accurate and effective. First rate. Good luck to anyone who gets one.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 04:07 pm
I figured it was a worthy mention. this is not a tech guy or a sister who forwards bullshit emails.

I tried to search out other threads on the subject, O'Bill, but didn't see any.
0 Replies