STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING, anybody know a recipe???

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:52 pm
We just returned from a brief trip , during which we enjoyed several different versions of sticky toffee pudding, served warm, with cool creme fraische or whup cream. Man this stuff is addictive. (And Ive been on record to state that the ENglish know as much about cooking as the Terra del Fuegians know about nuclear power). Was we ever surprised at how good this stuff is. Every place Ive looked wants to sell me the stuff in cans (sort of like IndianPudding, and everybody knows that whenever ya can something it loses all its life)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 6,553 • Replies: 36
Topic Closed
No top replies

littlek

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:54 pm
@farmerman,
Describe it!
roger

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:59 pm
@littlek,
Yeah! Sounds kind of decadent, now that I think on it.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 06:09 pm
@farmerman,
I googled in" sticky toffee pudding recipe" and several came up. I didn't look at them beyond the titles. Maybe one of those works.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:16 pm
the variants that we ate, were like chunks of a brown cake in a matrix of this thick oozy brown sugary and toffee tasting stuff. Then they would let you spoon on the various whup creams, sweetened, unsweetened, one like a "clotted cream " like that served on scones. All the variants were from hotels and other food joints.
ossobuco

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:22 pm
@farmerman,
Hmm, the guardian has some good food writers.. I'll see if I can find it there..

Course you know all their recipes are written up in funny measures.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:25 pm
as long as they dont require formulae in equivalents , Im ok. Ever eat sticky toffee pudding osso? It is the BEST. I mean THE B_E_S_T!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:27 pm
what do the score numbers mean and ask me if I care. I hope this damn rating system doesnt shadow the old ABUZZ system. That was sheer stupid.
ossobuco

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:31 pm
@farmerman,
It doesn't, but that's sort of a long story and I'm off on a toffee pudding hunt.

No, I've never tried it, might have heard of it, and I'm finding stuff at the guardian.

Right away here's an article that sets the sardonic tone -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2008/jul/25/recipecopyright
ossobuco

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Aha, here's a batch of recipes right here --

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=sticky+toffee+pudding&x=17&y=9
ossobuco

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Sticky toffee pudding with a story - scroll down, you don't see the recipe right away..
http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/2007/10/02/that-time-of-year-again/

farmerman

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks osso, Im gonna try this for the weekend . The ones we had did not have nuts mixed in but there were dates and figs. This looks close to what we ate. DAYUM that stuff was goo--ood.
0 Replies

msolga

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:50 am
Could it be what we in Oz call Sticky Date Pudding, farmer? Very popular cafe fare a few years ago. (Funny, I googled "sticky date pudding" & all the recipes were described as Australian. I didn't know that.)

Title: Australian Sticky Date Pudding
Categories: Cake, Pudding
Yield: 10 Servings

1/2 cup Butter, room temperature cut into eight pieces, plus extra to butter pan
1 1/4 cup Chopped pitted dates
1 tsp Baking soda
1/4 cup Granulated sugar
2 ea Eggs
1 1/4 cup All purpose flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 3/4 tsp Baking powder

Caramel Sauce
1/2 cup Butter
1/4 cup Whipping cream
1/2 cup Firm packed brown sugar plus
1 Tbsp Firm packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla

This Australian recipe, a very moist cake, not what we'd call a pudding, has taken Down Under by storm. you'll find it on restaurant and dinner party menus across that country. This version was printed recently by the New York times.

TO PREPARE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch round baking pan with sides at least 2 inches high, such as a springform pan.

Place the dates in a saucepan and cover with water (about 1-1/2 cups).

Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 3 minutes. Add the baking soda (the mixture will foam) and set aside.

In a bowl, cream the cut up butter, sugar and eggs, adding the eggs one at a time. Gently mix in the flour, salt and vanilla. Slowly stir in the baking powder and 1/4 cup of the liquid from cooking the dates, until the cake mixture resembles thick pancake batter. Drain off remainder of date cooking liquid and discard. Stir in the dates.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cooked in the center.

TO PREPARE CARAMEL SAUCE: Combine the butter, whipping cream, brown sugar and vanilla. Bring to a boil; reduce to simmer, and cook for 3 minutes.

TO SERVE: Drizzle some of the sauce over the cake as it is cooling.

Serve the rest of the sauce separately.

Makes 10 servings

Per Serving: Calories: 384 (4% protein, 47% carbohydrate, 50% fat) Protein: 4 grams Fat: 22 grams Cholesterol: 100 mg Carbohydrate: 46 grams Sodium: 441 mg Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1-1/2 starch, 4-1/2 fat

Source: Oregonian FoodDay Typos by Dorothy Flatman

http://www.internationalrecipes.net/recipes/view.pl?3963
farmerman

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:13 am
@msolga,
This one looks like whatI can imagine in my minds tatse buds. I think the dates add something to it and the caramel sauce and the whup cream make it a symphony of taste. I think that from yours and osso's I have a basic STP recipe.
ossobuco

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:27 am
@farmerman,
On voting - there are many threads, including an original starter thread on it by Craven (The title is something like Learning about the New a2k - Voting - part 3)

You find all these either by typing into the Search Tags box to the left of the New Posts page with either 'able2know' or the more specific 'voting'.

The latest one, which I'll give you a link to Robert Gentel's latest post on it, is
http://able2know.org/topic/121756-4#post-3385507
ossobuco

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:36 am
@ossobuco,
Ah, here is the original thread on voting - but that link to the latest one isn't bad either.

http://able2know.org/topic/120756-1
0 Replies

margo

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:02 pm
No recipe - but I'm perfectly willing to do the taste test!
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:35 pm
I prefer the cans. It frees up time to enjoy life. With sweet runny custard. You make that by opening a can of custard, adding three tablespoons of milkmaid's milk, do not cool or pasteurise, and sugar to taste.
djjd62

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:46 pm
@spendius,
http://www.english-shop.de/images/Heinz%20Sponge%20Pudding%20-%20Sticky%20Toffee.jpg
tai chi got me one of these, surprisingly, pretty good
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 12:23 pm
@farmerman,
Today's Chowhound email offers

http://www.chow.com/assets/2007/10/sticky_toffee290.20081218005013.jpg

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10973

Quote:
The exact origins of this popular dessert, a combination of dates, brown sugar, and toffee sauce, may be in dispute, but it’s undoubtedly British and undoubtedly delicious.

What to buy: Medjools are our favorite dates to use in this recipe, though other kinds would work if you are having a hard time finding Medjools.

Game plan: Have all ingredients at room temperature before beginning.

For a slacker solution, leave off the toffee sauce and either substitute high-quality, store-bought toffee or homemade caramel sauce, or serve with a splash of bourbon, a drizzle of heavy cream, a scoop of ice cream, or a dollop of crème fraîche.

TIME/SERVINGS
Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
Active Time: 45 mins
Makes: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
For the cake:
1/2 pound dates, pitted and coarsely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temperature
For the toffee sauce:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
1/4 cup heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS

For the cake:
Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat 8 (6-ounce) ramekins with butter and flour; set aside.
Combine dates, water, and baking soda in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and set aside.
Combine salt and flour in a medium bowl, whisk to combine, and set aside. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat for a water bath.
Combine butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until light and airy, about 5 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Add vanilla extract, then beat in eggs one at a time, just until incorporated. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in date mixture until well combined, then stir in flour mixture until just incorporated (don’t overmix).
Divide batter evenly among prepared ramekins and set them in a roasting pan or baking dish (you will likely need to use both a 13-by-9-inch dish and an 8-by-8-inch dish to fit them all). Pour simmering water into the bottom of the baking dishes until it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Very carefully place the baking dishes on the center rack of the oven. Bake until the center of each cake is just set and a cake tester inserted into the middle of each comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the toffee sauce.

For the toffee sauce:

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When it foams, add brown sugar and vanilla, stir once, and heat until bubbling and the color of maple syrup, about 5 minutes.
Carefully add cream in a slow stream while stirring, and cook until it bubbles up and increases in volume, about 2 minutes; remove from heat.
When cakes are finished, remove the ramekins from the oven and place on a cooling rack to come to room temperature. Once cakes are cool, run a knife around the perimeter of each and invert to remove from the ramekins, then place upright on a serving plate. Serve cakes at room temperature or slightly warmed, covered in warm toffee sauce.