Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:31 pm
Jogger hospitalized after kangaroo attacks

Quote:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/09/01/kangaroo.jogger.attack.ap/art.kangaroo.jpg

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- An ambulance official says a jogger has been taken to hospital after he was attacked by a kangaroo on the outskirts of Australia's second largest city.

Metropolitan Ambulance Service spokeswoman Christine Paterson says the man, aged in his 50s, was attacked Monday as he apparently ran between a male and female kangaroo near his home at an outer suburb of Melbourne.

JTT

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 01:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Is that a picture of the offending party?
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 01:10 pm
@JTT,
Doubt it, it says Getty images and looks like a stock photo that CNN used.
JTT

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 01:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It was kinda tongue in cheek, Robert.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:57 pm
@JTT,
Besides it would have had numbers under it and a height chart behind it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
i underrstand kangaroos are pretty fierce boxers and easily knock out any human opponent - they also have their own "boxing matches" .
hbg

wouldn't want to see the opponent if the 'roo took off the gloves !

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/09/kangaroo2AFP_468x693.jpg
hingehead

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:14 pm
@hamburger,
They're more kick boxers. Sit on their tails, hold your shoulders and rip your guts out with their macropods...

kuvasz

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
never get between a jack and his jill
hamburger

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:47 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
and rip your guts

thanks much , i'd rather NOT have my guts ripped out by a 'roo ... or anyone else for that matter .
hbg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:00 pm
@kuvasz,
That guy did NOT look good.

(It was on the news last night.)

The problem, of course, is suburban encroachment on habitat...plus the roos are obviously getting habituated to humans.

Mind you....I've spent time in a Queensland coastal village where the roos were ubiquitous, and everyone walked in amongst them, with no issues/

The news said the guy got between the roo and joeys...but I've not been aware of male roos protecting their young.
hingehead

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:11 pm
@dlowan,
Just when we start getting smug that we don't have bears or wolves, our herbivores attack.
dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:17 pm
@hingehead,
Yes...but at least....unless they are about to make a massive evolutionary leap...they don't eat us.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:31 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The world has no shortage of animals which humans should be afraid of; I simply cannot picture kangaroos as one of them. What kind of a candy-assed SOB is gonna get his ass handed to him by a kangaroo...
dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:40 pm
@gungasnake,
Shrugs.

Your ignorance does not make any difference to a big kangaroo's ability to do harm.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:43 pm
@gungasnake,
I don't think you'd fare well against a kangaroo.

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's funny...in national parks and such where tourists have fed roos, there is often a large cage to eat in...to protect tourists from kangaroo "bums" begging for food.

Mind you, while they can do a lot of damage (the roo in that video is quite small) they are usually pretty harmless.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:35 pm
@dlowan,
Exactly, Deb: suburban encroachment on habitat. Melbourne is growing at an alarming rate. (Well, many of us believe it's unsustainable, given our limited resources.) It is expected that an extra million people will need to be accomodated by 2030. We are experiencing "development" at a crazy pace & many of the old "green wedges" are vanishing fast. Wildlife which previously lived in these green wedges are now existing on the edge of suburbia as a result. Also the ongoing drought has impacted on the usual feeding/breeding areas of native wildlife, causing many animals - including kangaroos - to venture into the suburbs for food. It is not unusual now to see kangaroos while driving along freeways leading to the outer suburbs ... & sadly sometimes dead wildlife on the side of the road after being hit by motor vehicles. There have been reports of kangaroos hopping down the streets of outer suburbs, or actually feeding in peoples' yards. So this incident with the jogger doesn't surprise me. Too many people. Not enough space & water. Sad
dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:46 pm
@msolga,
Yep..same here.

If anyone wants to see a fabulous series on roos, there is a documentary series called "Faces in the Mob" which is truly stunning.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:20 pm
@gungasnake,
well - I wouldn't want to get on the bad side of a 'roo.

I had a bunch of them try to take my chocolate caramel slice a while back.

I wasn't giving in easy - but they wanted that slice. They can be pretty aggressive.
hingehead

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:41 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:
well - I wouldn't want to get on the bad side of a 'roo.

I had a bunch of them try to take my chocolate caramel slice a while back.

I wasn't giving in easy - but they wanted that slice. They can be pretty aggressive.

You could substitute 'roo' with 'weight watchers field trip'